Anybody use these anchors and are they any good?

Tamale

Anybody use these anchors and are they any good?

Post by Tamale »

I don't know what they are called. So here is a pic (I hope). Any way I need an anchor and this seems to be the only 1 I can find any where.
Attachments
anchor.jpg
anchor.jpg (7.18 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

Tamale,
here's a link to a post I did last month about anchors & anchoring

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... php?t=1040
Jerry-rigged
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry-rigged »

I have one of those in a 3.3lb size - about 10"long. I have also seen then in 1lb size. Mine has not failed me yet, but I have not used it on sandy bottoms with wind. Wind and mud - works great.

A lot of people use the 2.2lb 'claw' type. I think it is supposed to work better in hard sand.

Jerry
Jerry-rigged
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry-rigged »

Hey TKFClay - Can you get the Capt'ns posts added to the 'books" section?

Great info - hate to loose it.

Jerry
Tamale

Thanks a lot!

Post by Tamale »

Hey thanks allot. This is exactly the help I was looking for. Very informative. You guys kick ass. Thanks

Tamale
Flavio
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flavio »

I have one of those, but they are not very good in windy conditions, so I tied a 5lb. weight to the loop in the bottom of the anchor. The weight creates more drag and that helps the anchor dig in better. I couldn't decide what other anchor to use and really didn't want to spend any more money, so I just got a weight from my set and tied it on. I only anchor half of the time so it works for me.
chavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by chavez »

I have one of those anchors as well and do what flavio does for windy conditions in the sand by adding another anchor. an exception is when there are oyster beds that the anchor will grab on.

one advantage of the anchor that may not have been mentioned is that you can keep the claws in the closed position and hook it upside down for use in freshwater which is how i use it. this helps avoid it getting stuck on boulders and brush under the water.
SPECKulator
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by SPECKulator »

I have used the folding anchor for a couple of years, and have not had any problems with it, even in fairly windy conditions or on sand. But I also don't try to anchor broadside to the wind. I use a pully system to point myself up or down-wind.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

I have a folding claw and a manta anchor. I use the folding claw in streams & lakes. I use the manta anchor at the coast.
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

I have one, and if I had it to do over again I would get something different. I've only been able to get it to hold in calm conditions with a very soft or grassy bottom.
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

I have a folding one that i bought in the jetSki department of Academy with line and float in a padded bag .. helps to store in Yak ..... doesn't work as well as i would like ... think i need a Claw for Galveston current.
I just bought all the stuff for the trolly system (both sides) but haven't installed yet .. It will be easy to take off when not needed (riverrun etc) with only an eye (frt/bk both sides) left on yak. That said simplicity rules.

CaptJack ... i sure appreciate your posts/experence also .. if you were a guide i certainly would hire you just to pick ur brain on Galv. yak fishing and rigging .......... thanks again for your posts :)
ElCazador

Post by ElCazador »

Mine works pretty well but I added 18 inches of chain before the anchor.

Works 100% better now.

DJ
TaylorSea4

Post by TaylorSea4 »

Tamale, you're right about this board being kick ass. I don't call Jack 'Da Skipper' for nothin.

Save yourself the drama and waste of time and money and just get the 1kg Horizon. Boat Stuff sells them, but I got mine from Big Mike in Texas City. He even rigged it up for me with 25' of rope (took 10' off and keep it coiled on the boat). Thus far, my anchor holds like a CHAMP in sand, mud, shell, and grass. It's a little sketchy is shell when the wind is crankin, but I have not had a problem as of yet. The price is right, too. I gotta rig up some 'biners for tying up short (a la Jack), but stowage isn't an issue.

My STS seat came with some loops that clip to the seat back. I coil the anchor rope around the head of the anchor, fasten the loop to it, and drop it in my tankwell just behind my seat. I clip it to my seatback just in case I take a dump. I have the loop at just the right length so that it's almost supported off the inside of the TW (so's it don't make a buncha noise on the flats).
yakattack

Post by yakattack »

My experience with folding anchors has been that they do not hold well in a hard current (e. g. San Luis Pass). If you buy one, try to find one with more curve in the tines (like a claw); those seem to dig in better than the straighter tines. I junked the one that came with my yak and bought the 2.2 lb claw anchor from Shipstore.com--about $8. It holds extremely well and can be rigged with 25# nylon tie straps at the tip of the shank, so that it can break away and be pulled out by the fluke end if it gets hung. The only time it has failed to hold was in a very hard incoming tide over hard sand and deep water,and that problem was remedied simply by letting out more line for a lower angle of attack. Wind has never been a problem with this anchor; in fact, if I encounter enough wind to make it slip, I probably won't be on the water. It doesn't cost much to try one; you probably won't change back.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

here's the manta anchor. It works great using the double-line rigging. I store the rope and anchor in my milk-crate inside a piece of 4" PVC. i paid less than 10 bucks for the anchor. I tied loops in my line every several feet. I use a spring clip to connect the line to which ever pad/deck eye I want. That way I can fix the direction my boat is pointed in relation to the anchor line. Since I fish from my boat as well as wading, I want to be able to point my boat where i want when i am fishing at anchor.
Attachments
manta-anchor.jpg
manta-anchor.jpg (4.48 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

GC-
The "Manta" is another knock-off of the original "Bruce" that was developed for the drilling industry in the NorthSea. (13 patents- now expired)
The Horizon"Claw" is also a knock-off of the "Bruce"
yakattack

Post by yakattack »

GoinCoastal's picture is the one to buy, whether it is sold as a manta, Bruce or claw anchor. I rig mine with a single line tied securely through the eye at the fluke end; then I use a 15-30lb nylon tie strap (the kind used for electrical wire or cable--Home Depot, etc.) to secure the anchor line to the eye at the upper end of the shank. If the anchor gets hung up, I pull straight up to break the tie strap and the anchor then comes out in reverse. I also carry spare tie straps with my tackle.