Kamp Rite tent cot opinions

Tombo

Kamp Rite tent cot opinions

Post by Tombo »

Looking at the oversize one, 90" long,and 32" wide. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
tush hog

Re: Kamp Rite tent cot opinions

Post by tush hog »

Tombo, I had buyers remorse until I used it and slept like a baby. The convenience, speed, and ease makes it perfect for quick trips, especially when I am showing up late at night. Plus it is just as fast and easy to take down at the end of a trip when your tired and want to break camp quick. The Kamp Rite oversized tent cot has eliminated the frustration of pitching a tent in high costal winds and the discomfort and stiff back of other sleeping options. For reference I am around 6ft and 220lbs, some back trouble, and getting pickier about my sleeping or “rough ’n it” the closer I get to 40.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Same build but 21 years added to your age. The fact I am up now convinces me to get something comfortable. Last overnight trip I slept on the top of my Jeep Wrangler due to critters and insects looming around Padre Island sea shore.
Duweezy

Post by Duweezy »

Hey Tom I have the double tentcot and use it on PINS with my girl and me frequently. I would say it is a good investment. It is comfortable for the most part but extra pads wouldn't hurt if you wanted more comfort. I got mine on amazon in the "used" section for 200 bones, it was pretty much new but was taken out of the box and the box was a bit beat up. You don't have to worry about setting up and you stay off the ground away from the critters. It won't keep the Karankawa Indian spirits away though :lol:
dtrojcak

Post by dtrojcak »

I bought an oversized one for me and a regular for my son.
Much quicker and easier than setting up a tent in the beach wind, and airing up a mattress or setting up regular cots. Especially when camp is usually set up after dark.
Take down is also quicker and easier.
I've used mine twice and my son has used his once.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

My air mattress is 37" wide, tent cot 32". Might have to get a narrow air bed. Looks like the way to go as the only times I have done overnight camping is on the beach. My little Jeep Wrangler is going to be stuffed with gear.
Thanks for everyone's advice. Might get a roll up foam mattress instead of the air filled one.
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Hey Tombo, I have the oversized one and like it a lot. But I have not been out in the rain to see how water proof it is in a blowing wind and rain. My guess is that all the zippers and the blowing rain will end up inside the cot!!! Only a guess at this time.

I also use a pad to sleep on too and it helps.

Good Luck
Duweezy

Post by Duweezy »

Thinwater skinner wrote:Hey Tombo, I have the oversized one and like it a lot. But I have not been out in the rain to see how water proof it is in a blowing wind and rain. My guess is that all the zippers and the blowing rain will end up inside the cot!!! Only a guess at this time.

I also use a pad to sleep on too and it helps.

Good Luck
I've been out on PINS in the rain with 30mph winds before and stayed dry without the rainfly. I did have everything zipped up though. I didn't get any sleep and it was a freaky experience!
Boiler

Post by Boiler »

I have the oversize tent cot and love it! I have been in heavy wind and rain and stayed dry with no problem. I do wish it would fold up and fit in the yak, but then it likely would not be as easy as it is to set up and take down. You can't go wrong with one.
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

They do have one that folds up like a collapsible chair. Check their web site.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I love my tent cot, and have used it with heavy rain and stayed dry, BUT, when it is all zipped up to keep the rain out, it also keeps out any air circulation. If the temperatures are cool, I sometimes wind up with a lot of moisture condensation on the inside from my breathing. I've found it helps to have an additional tarp suspended a bit above the tent cot to keep the bulk of the rain off, and then I can open the zippers a bit for more air circulation. I really like that it keeps you up off the ground, so even if it is raining so hard it becomes a creek running under you, you stay dry.

I just wish it folded up small enough to fit in the kayak for river camping trips :). I actually prefer a hammock, my back feels better in one, but I can't always count on there being trees available.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Update. Wound up with two tent cots. Both have the dome.
The oversize model has four stands under it and are aluminum. Four big screens for ventilation and the tent portion is attached to the cot. The smaller one is further off the ground, had to attach the tent to the cot with two zippers, bit of a pain, has one big screen door and two small v shaped vents.
I prefer the oversized model for ease of set up, larger volume inside, aluminum frame, and the large screen area.
Both came with a rain fly and storage bag.
Was going to test them this weekend but fishing conditions were not safe off shore.