keeping battery charged on overnighters

always lookin

keeping battery charged on overnighters

Post by always lookin »

Anyone ever used solar battery maintainer to keep battery charged for fishfinder and other items? I'm thinking about getting one just want to get some opinions from more experienced kayak fishermen. Thanks ahead of time.
always lookin

Re: keeping battery charged on overnighters

Post by always lookin »

well i guess not many have tried it. I'll post on ho it goes. I think it should work as long as judicious on how much juice used up during the night. Will post how it works out
dadtofourboys

Post by dadtofourboys »

I'm bumping this one because I have the same question.
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

In my opinion the solar panels won't work very well at night.
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Plant

Post by Plant »

Doesn't help keep the current fishfinder battery charged, but it never hurts to pack an extra one pre charged in a dirtbag to switch out.

Also, you can buy a boat "cigarette lighter" charger and hard wire it to the extra battery and use it to charge your cellphones or other devices.
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

get a deer feed 12v battery and charge it before you go out. It can last you several trips with only a FF attached. I use mine to power 2 LED 510 lumens lights that are probably 4 watts each and I hooked it to some blue LED lights that I put in the yak cockpit and I had light all night (>8hrs).

Last time I went out I measure the amps and it was reading 12.5 before I went and next day it was 10.5 amps left after 6 hrs of fishing at night.

I don't think you will run out of battery unless you do a fishing marathon for more than 20 hrs.
always lookin

Post by always lookin »

Thanks mpg2yahoo that was kind of what I was needing to know. I do have two of those batteries. I still may try out the charger just out of curriosity. Maybe may not have to worry about taking out and charging the battery at all. Will post on how it works out. I'm also thinking about setting up one of the lighter outlets for phone and other items. Thanks for the input.
dtrojcak

Post by dtrojcak »

mpg2yahoo wrote:get a deer feed 12v battery and charge it before you go out. It can last you several trips with only a FF attached. I use mine to power 2 LED 510 lumens lights that are probably 4 watts each and I hooked it to some blue LED lights that I put in the yak cockpit and I had light all night (>8hrs).

Last time I went out I measure the amps and it was reading 12.5 before I went and next day it was 10.5 amps left after 6 hrs of fishing at night.

I don't think you will run out of battery unless you do a fishing marathon for more than 20 hrs.
FYI, you were reading volts not amps.