Need to do better

argentine fisherman

Need to do better

Post by argentine fisherman »

I launched this morning at sportsman rd at Sun up made my way to the marsh area and started to see tails, some reds and a lot of mullet I cast at the first tail I see and its on! I get it close to the yak and the red decides to make another run for it and left me with just my braided line with no lure or jig head,I quickly re tie another jig head and a KFM I paddle another 50 yards and see more tails two cast later and it was on......and just my luck same thing happend .40 minutes later and I spot a pod of fish with there nose in the grass one cast and I spooked them.couldn't bring no fish home but I learned a lot today , of some one could help me with some good knots for braided line I would appreciate it

Thanks for reading.
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Re: Need to do better

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

i like the loop knots for pretty much any lure besides topwaters or the hard baits with two treble hooks. it adds a little action to the lure and is easy to tie once you've learned it. I use it on mono, flouro, and braid.
Calf Deep

Post by Calf Deep »

With braid, I use a simple clinch knot (google it).

However, I know that the most important thing I do that gives me great knot strength is this: Before I cinch the knot tight, I stick the line in my mouth to lube it up and then I put the hook around a padeye or something else that is really secure. This was I can pull on the line as hard as I want to really get a good knot, and I can pull a lot harder than if I were holdin the hook in my hand. If the knot is weak, it breaks right then and there. If it holds, then I don't have to worry about getting broken off by a fish.
argentine fisherman

Improved clinch knot is what I tied
FlatLuck

Post by FlatLuck »

x2 on the clinch not. Or improved Clinch can't remember the names. Last Sunday I had one loop knot come undone on a cast (bail closed on me) and one albright come undone on a backlash (tough day in the wind) about 5 casts after landing a lower slot red.

Granted, they were both my fault, but i'm sure a fish is going to test a knot a lot harded than my incompetance.

I just started using these two knots about 6 months ago and I'm not too confident in them anymore. I like the functionality of them, so I'll probably just keep inspecting them going forward. Otherwise, while I may lose some movement on the lure, but I might be going back to the clinch and fishermans knot.

Either way, IMO, Clinch, Palomar then loop knot are the best for a lure and fisherman's or albright are the best for tying leaders to braid.

Eddeted bee cuz ay spail lyk a whendoe leker
Last edited by FlatLuck on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

After a day like that, I'd say you need a confidence knot. The Palomar is easy to tie, nearly impossible to screw up and is, pound for pound, the strongest knot out there, at least among those knots that can be tied rather quickly. Go to one of the animated knot sites like at the link below and check it out. Tie several and test them by putting the hook around something rigid and pulling with your bare hand. If you can't tie a strong cinch knot, don't even try a loop knot. Loop knots are not very strong. Their advantage is in how they allow the lure to move freely. I use them for topwaters and jerk baits, but rarely for soft plastics, spoons or hooks for live bait.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now for the critical part. Unless you were tying really bad knots, you might consider that you have your drag set too tight and/or that you are horsing your fish. Redfish especially can pull like freight trains and should be played out. When they pull, let them go.

It's been many years since I've lost a fish due to a bad knot (the line comes back curly-cued like a short hair) or because I horsed a fish, but believe me, it has happened to all of us at one time or another.
Fin-Addict
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Fin-Addict »

Loop knot is super easy to tie and IMO gives the lure better action.

I used to lose jigheads before also and found that some jighead eyes wouldn't be completely pinched close and the braid was thin enough to slip out. I now use 20 pound flouro attached to the braid with a uni to uni knot
WbDDot

Post by WbDDot »

I always use improved clinch knot and I haven't had anything come off with that knot. Really easy too!

X2 on the website yaklash suggested, that is a great website and the animated knots are awesome!
argentine fisherman

I did notice my drag being to tight , thanks for all the help! I'll try the Palomar knot next and I'll adjust my drag
herefishyfishy80

Post by herefishyfishy80 »

Yaklash wrote:After a day like that, I'd say you need a confidence knot. The Palomar is easy to tie, nearly impossible to screw up and is, pound for pound, the strongest knot out there, at least among those knots that can be tied rather quickly. Go to one of the animated knot sites like at the link below and check it out. Tie several and test them by putting the hook around something rigid and pulling with your bare hand. If you can't tie a strong cinch knot, don't even try a loop knot. Loop knots are not very strong. Their advantage is in how they allow the lure to move freely. I use them for topwaters and jerk baits, but rarely for soft plastics, spoons or hooks for live bait.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now for the critical part. Unless you were tying really bad knots, you might consider that you have your drag set too tight and/or that you are horsing your fish. Redfish especially can pull like freight trains and should be played out. When they pull, let them go.

It's been many years since I've lost a fish due to a bad knot (the line comes back curly-cued like a short hair) or because I horsed a fish, but believe me, it has happened to all of us at one time or another.

X2 on the Palomar! I have yet to see a lost hook or lure with this knot. Haven't seen a fish on a soft plastic or lure in a LONG while but that's a different story :roll: :shock: :lol:
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Jedi »

X3 on the Palomar
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

X4 PALOMER
engineer

Post by engineer »

Make that x5 on the palomar. It is a positive knot and will not loosen. I have never lost a fish due to the palomar knot failing.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

argentine fisherman wrote:I did notice my drag being to tight , thanks for all the help! I'll try the Palomar knot next and I'll adjust my drag
You should be able to pull it off the reel with a medium amount of force. It will be significantly harder to pull line off the reel against the bend of the rod.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

Easy knot tying instructions, Grogs knots.

Animated Knots by Grog | How to Tie Knots | Fishing, Boating ...
http://www.animatedknots.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This website provides clear animations showing how to tie the knots most frequently needed in fishing, boating, climbing, scouting, search and rescue, splicing, ...
Salty Scholar

Post by Salty Scholar »

Mono for the win!
Erock

Post by Erock »

Speaking from experience, the set up that has worked for me without fail is what one of the other posters mentioned. I use about 6' of fluorocarbon or Big Game Trilene tied to braid with a uniknot then a Palomar on the jig head. But drag is the key, a keeper Speck pulls drag on me, I give them all they want!!! Have caught several upper slot reds in a row on this with no worry. Also not being anchored is a big plus it's like adding more drag. Good luck, sounds like your hooking up!!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377136996.807830.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377137011.073852.jpg
argentine fisherman

Thanks for all of the replies hopefully next time I get to go fishing I get on to some action like this morning.
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Good report even though you didn't bring home dinner. Sportsman Rd rocks!
c-dawg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by c-dawg »

Something that helped me learn to tie a new knot is to go to youtube and type it in to see someone actually tying the knot. Palomar hands down for most stuff.
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

Fin-Addict wrote:Loop knot is super easy to tie and IMO gives the lure better action.

I used to lose jigheads before also and found that some jighead eyes wouldn't be completely pinched close and the braid was thin enough to slip out. I now use 20 pound flouro attached to the braid with a uni to uni knot
This needs to be highlighted. With either the Palomar or improved clinch braid will slip out of eyes that are not completely closed. I recently lost three consecutive bass and brought my line in to find no hook but my knot still tied! Yes, it took me 3 times to figure it out! I then tied a mono leader and it was on. This was while fishing a senko with a worm hook but it can happen to any lure with an eye that is not a complete circle. The knot slides to the gap in the eye and then through it when under strain. From now on I will be using a mono leader on anything with a gap in the hook eye.
frankie14

Post by frankie14 »

I went through the same thing you did. I lost a solid red during an LSKS event last year, and I have lost lures by casting too hard and backlashing and losing my leader and lures, so that was enough of a lesson to go home a learn new knots. I learned I was tying a clinch knot, so learning the improved clinch knot was very easy. I also fixed the backlashing problems by smoothing out my casting motion and tuning up my baitcaster more effectively. My progression as far as line size and knots:

20# braid > uni to uni > 20# flourocarbon leader > clinch knot .... lost fish due to slipped knots at jig head

20# braid > uni to uni > 20# flourocarbon leader > improved clinch knot ... lost lures due to slipped uni knots from backlashing (ever throw a maniac mullet 100 yards? I have)

30# braid > uni to uni > 30# flourocarbon leader > improved clinch knot... I have caught a 40" red and 35-40lb black drum on this rig. Not only is the 30# braid and leader a stronger line strength, but the larger line has a larger diameter that, I believe, helps hold knots where 20# maybe more apt to slip.

Just my experience with slipped knots...
CFulbright

Post by CFulbright »

There is a big thing I have found that has not been said, What jig head are you using??? If a cheap one, you got to check the eye before you go out on all of them, I tie a palmore knot, and never broke one, but have had a lot pull though the eye of the jig head where it is bent over. It should make good contact with the other side, these thin braids slip though very easy! I have found the Nortons that have the silver hooks are bad about this.

Note: you should be able to tell how it broke when you reel back in, there should be a knot still at the end.
BigGabe63
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by BigGabe63 »

As you can see there is a multitude of knots that people use my favorite and simple knot is the trilene knot. Works great for braid http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/trilene-knot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

frankie14 wrote: (ever throw a maniac mullet 100 yards? I have).
Wow! That's a long way. Was that wind assisted?