Nucanoe Frontier12 too much for me

Fadedred

Nucanoe Frontier12 too much for me

Post by Fadedred »

a buddy picked up a Frontier 12 to demo and asked me to come along. I brought my Tarpon 100 and we headed to the Guadalupe above Ingram at a private launch. The boat had aftermarket seats and one had a pedestal base. Jim had never kayaked before and had trouble mastering the paddle stroke. My Tarpon could run circles around him.

The pedestal base allowed him to turn 360 degrees which was nice, but really made it difficult to paddle. Jim's a big gut and I noticed the deck moving quite a bit. Made me wonder about the long term durability using that seating option. We swapped the seat out for the lower one before long. The lower seat was about what you'd expect from a kayak with the high seat option. We went about .5 mile before I was given a turn going back to the launch.

the boat was very stable and moving around was not a problem. However It was like a barge. I guess you could say the hole shot was very slow. Once you got it moving it was OK. The seat position was hard on my back and there was not good footing. Some foot rests would be great. It tracked fair for me and what wind there was pushed the bow around. Paddling while standing was also hard on my back. I can see that it would be a good platform for fly fishing. The flat deck also was nice. I thought the boat would be too heavy for me to handle out of the water since
I have a bad back Therefore it would not be a good choice for me.
jim.jpg
But the river was pretty.
guad.jpg
hunterlee5587

Re: Nucanoe Frontier12 too much for me

Post by hunterlee5587 »

I have had the frontier 12 for about 2 weeks. Have taken it out to Lake Naconiche and Purtis Creek Lake. It is a barge, it does not move as quickly as my cuda did but it is not as slow as I thought it would be. It's big, lots of deck space, I did not paddle from the pedestal as I only have the swivel seat, but did not find that to be difficult. To each their own. I wanted stability and I didn't mind sacrificing speed to get it. I like the work out anyways. I am glad more people are checking this boat out and providing everyone else with a good report.
bearkat9293

Post by bearkat9293 »

I have a my Frontier 12 for about 7 months now. I have taken it in the lake and on the bay. I love it. Yes it is a little harder to paddle than the Ride 135 that I paddled, but for me it is more confrontable and worth the few extra strokes. I don't find it that much harder to paddle. Now I'm not going to enter any races with it but that is not what I got it for. I got it so I could stand and fish and not be confined to a small cockpit. I to have a bad back. A 10mm bulging disc, @L 4-5. The F12 doesn't hurt my back near as bad as sitting low in the same position all day. For me being 6'3" 290# it is the perfect boat for me. Have no regrets. With that said it is hard for my 5'9"115#son to paddle. I bought him pescador 12. It fits him better and he zooms all around me in it and can run off and leave me. Some of it has to do with the boat and some with the weight it carries.
There is no perfect kayak that is one size fits all. It is a give and take on every one of them. It is good you had a chance to demo the F12 and determine that it wasn't for you. Everyone should demo several yaks before buying and find what works for you.
By the way,being a Frontier owner and prostaffer, I appreciate the article and your point of view. You did a good job of saying what didnt work for you while not bashing it. The Frontier is not for everyone, but either are the other hundred on the market today. Got to ci d the one that works for you.
Fadedred

Post by Fadedred »

No bashing intended. My brother was considering one. I'm glad I got to try one out. Still have my eye on a Commandor or Ultimate. There's no perfect boat for everyone. That's why we need several yaks.
Roy

Post by Roy »

I have to admit- I sure wish I would have demo'd one before I bought mine. It's been a huge disappointment so far! :x

I did a ton of research and read all of the reviews on the stability of this barge; and, like a noob fisherman to a late-night 'banjo minnow' infomercial, I was sold! I mean- for Pete's sake Nucanoe has a freaking youtube vid with 3 grown men standing on this boat jumping around!! The ability to use a boat seat to sit in a comfortable position was the icing on the cake for me! I bought a custom seat base (as the Nucanoe bases are worthless for boat seats) with the Max 360 seat for mine and have not felt stable one time on it (I've even turtled a couple of times!!! :twisted: ) in 5 outings. And I'm sitting smak dab in the middle of the freaking thing! The floor is definitely mushy (and other owners are already dealing with cracks in their floors), but Nucanoe is providing foam insert kits for Frontier owners. Unfortunately for me, my deck has a nice crown on it that has been this way since the first day I got her home, and there's no way I would even try to stand on mine. I don't know if the crown is a defect, but others have this issue and some have the opinion that it might be due to the yak being cinched down too tight during transport. Not sure what 'too tight' means, but I only 'hand tighten' my straps and my yak has the crown. Maybe it's a defect??? As far as stability, the yak is obviously more stable with a lower seating position, but that's not why I bought it. There's no way I'd recommend this yak for anyone else my size (6'4" and 375lbs) if they intend to sit any higher than on the floor.

She's definitely a looker and I get compliments on her all the time, but looks only go so far... I'm done putting $$$ into this boat and have decided to start saving for another yak in 2014. I'll keep her as a tandem yak for other 'lighter' family members or friends to paddle around with.

Here's a pic of my F12:
vanjr
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by vanjr »

Roy wrote:I have to admit- I sure wish I would have demo'd one before I bought mine. It's been a huge disappointment so far! :x

I did a ton of research and read all of the reviews on the stability of this barge; and, like a noob fisherman to a late-night 'banjo minnow' infomercial, I was sold! I mean- for Pete's sake Nucanoe has a freaking youtube vid with 3 grown men standing on this boat jumping around!! The ability to use a boat seat to sit in a comfortable position was the icing on the cake for me! I bought a custom seat base (as the Nucanoe bases are worthless for boat seats) with the Max 360 seat for mine and have not felt stable one time on it (I've even turtled a couple of times!!! :twisted: ) in 5 outings. And I'm sitting smak dab in the middle of the freaking thing! The floor is definitely mushy (and other owners are already dealing with cracks in their floors), but Nucanoe is providing foam insert kits for Frontier owners. Unfortunately for me, my deck has a nice crown on it that has been this way since the first day I got her home, and there's no way I would even try to stand on mine. I don't know if the crown is a defect, but others have this issue and some have the opinion that it might be due to the yak being cinched down too tight during transport. Not sure what 'too tight' means, but I only 'hand tighten' my straps and my yak has the crown. Maybe it's a defect??? As far as stability, the yak is obviously more stable with a lower seating position, but that's not why I bought it. There's no way I'd recommend this yak for anyone else my size (6'4" and 375lbs) if they intend to sit any higher than on the floor.

She's definitely a looker and I get compliments on her all the time, but looks only go so far... I'm done putting $$$ into this boat and have decided to start saving for another yak in 2014. I'll keep her as a tandem yak for other 'lighter' family members or friends to paddle around with.

Here's a pic of my F12:
Roy, I strongly suggest a demo before you buy again. We all have different needs and if you want to stand you really need to try before you buy. I would recommend demoing something like the diablo Adios-but even then you may need to consider alternatives or a yak where you do not stand. My yak is not a standing one-when I want to stand in the flats I get out and wade fish.
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Don't be afraid to put it in the classified here and get rid of it so you can switch to another kayak that is more to your liking. Some people have bought and soon realized the boat is not the platform they were seeking, even when test driving, so they put it here for sale and get another quickly.

I bought before I test drove my PA14. Can't say I made a bad decision. The PA14 is awesome. Also a barge to paddle, but once you put the mirage drive it's like a bullet. I can keep up with people that have a trolling motor for some time while I'm not tired, even though I don't have the turbo fins. Maybe you should put the 2hp motor to the Frontier so you don't have to worry about paddling. Just an idea.

The drawback on the PA is that its not for marsh fishing in skinny water. For those occasions that I want to go deep into the marsh I take my RIDE115. For night fishing the PA is the boat I take no questions asked.

Put the Frontier in the classified section is my suggestion.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Sorry for the confusion Vanjr, I didn't buy my F12 to stand on it (the only craft I'd feel comfortable standing on is a boat lol). Others love to stand on their F12s but there's no way I'd risk it as I know what's waiting for me next- SPLASH!! Lol. The main reason I bought it is for the ability to sit on a comfy boat seat at a comfortable height for my legs. Unfortunately I don't feel safe on my chair. The F12 is incredibly stable when I just used the regular seat base with my Max 360; however, the angle of my legs in that position is very uncomfortable. I might try out the Elite kayak-style seat next so that I can 'recline' just enough to make my legs comfy at the lower height. Also, I am working hard to lose some weight so I know that will help out tremendously.

I think this is an incredible yak/canoe, and the versatility of the freedom tracks and open cockpit gives owners a ton of ways to customize their yaks. My disappointment lies with the stability of the yak while sitting on my chair, and I wouldn't recommend it for a guy my size if he wants to use it the way I did. I will definitely demo before I buy my next yak.

Have to add... I had to make a mod for my 360 seat. I couldn't believe how flimsy this thing is for me and I found the culprit- the tiny screws holding the hinges together!

I drilled the hinges out and replaced the screws with 3/8" bolts. Much better!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376331398.718897.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376331426.848714.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376331442.151494.jpg
Roy

Post by Roy »

mpg2yahoo wrote:Don't be afraid to put it in the classified here and get rid of it so you can switch to another kayak that is more to your liking. Some people have bought and soon realized the boat is not the platform they were seeking, even when test driving, so they put it here for sale and get another quickly.

I bought before I test drove my PA14. Can't say I made a bad decision. The PA14 is awesome. Also a barge to paddle, but once you put the mirage drive it's like a bullet. I can keep up with people that have a trolling motor for some time while I'm not tired, even though I don't have the turbo fins. Maybe you should put the 2hp motor to the Frontier so you don't have to worry about paddling. Just an idea.

The drawback on the PA is that its not for marsh fishing in skinny water. For those occasions that I want to go deep into the marsh I take my RIDE115. For night fishing the PA is the boat I take no questions asked.

I don't hate her that much! :lol:

However, I did sell my X-Factor after only using it a couple of times. I bought it used though so I didn't lose too much on it. Also, that PA is awesome! I saw one in person for the first time last week and that guy had his rigged out to the 9 yards! But good Lord that bugger was HEAVY! It took him and his buddy to load it up.

As for my F12, I'm thinking about fabricating some outriggers in the near future to see if that helps my stability issues. And a trolling motor is definitely in the plans as that is something I can transfer to my next yak.
vanjr
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by vanjr »

Roy,
Those seat modifications look good and outriggers should help, no doubt.

As we see more and more "kayaks" with higher and higher seats stability will be an issue for everyone. eventually we have to realize its a kayak, not a canoe and certainly not a PB.
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Roy wrote:
mpg2yahoo wrote:Don't be afraid to put it in the classified here and get rid of it so you can switch to another kayak that is more to your liking. Some people have bought and soon realized the boat is not the platform they were seeking, even when test driving, so they put it here for sale and get another quickly.

I don't hate her that much! :lol:

However, I did sell my X-Factor after only using it a couple of times. I bought it used though so I didn't lose too much on it. Also, that PA is awesome! I saw one in person for the first time last week and that guy had his rigged out to the 9 yards! But good Lord that bugger was HEAVY! It took him and his buddy to load it up.

As for my F12, I'm thinking about fabricating some outriggers in the near future to see if that helps my stability issues. And a trolling motor is definitely in the plans as that is something I can transfer to my next yak.
I have never lifted my PA14. I had a trailer for my RIDE115 and I use it now for the PA14. Since it's galvanized I just back it up to the water and let the PA float in/out of the trailer. If there is no boat ramp I don't take the PA. Good thing is that all the places I like to fish close to home have boat ramps. :D
hunterlee5587

Post by hunterlee5587 »

Roy wrote:I have to admit- I sure wish I would have demo'd one before I bought mine. It's been a huge disappointment so far! :x

Do you have that seat base for sale? If not, where did you find it if you don't mind my asking?

Here's a pic of my F12:
thinshavings

Post by thinshavings »

hunterlee5587 wrote:

Do you have that seat base for sale? If not, where did you find it if you don't mind my asking?

Here's a pic of my F12:
Wow,
I bought a F12 as my first yak, I'm 57 5' 10" 160 lbs.
I really like the F12 for the flexibility. I put a Honda 2.3 on it mostly when going tandem and don't think I could flip this thing if I tried. If I have the outboard on it and need to go real shallow I just flip it up and the motor weight is under 30 lbs...don't even notice it's there. Is it slower to paddle than others....i guess so but I when I fish I am not racing. LOL.
hunterlee5587

Post by hunterlee5587 »

My reply did not post right. I guess that seat base is not for sale lol. No biggie, I will have to try and fabricate one for muhself
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

I get people saying the F12 is a barge or slow to paddle (though I believe it paddles well for what it is), however, if you are finding the stability of the boat to be inadequate, I'm not sure there's a kayak out there that can satisfy your needs...