The Guadalupe's Guadalupes

jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

The Guadalupe's Guadalupes

Post by jhb »

I had an awesome afternoon on the Guadalupe today. I was really wanting to try some new crankbaits today and decided the closest, snag free, deep pool was the confluence of the Comal and Guadalupe Rivers. I got on the water about 5:30 this afternoon. I put in at Cypress Bend park and headed down. Immediately past the Rockin R takeout I drop my lines and troll to the confluence. The air temp is 93 degrees, with a strong wind from the east. Water clarity was about 3-4'.

On the way I catch a Longear. Just past the confluence, where the water has a swift current around the point, I hook up on my first Guadalupe of the day.
P7210403.JPG
Shortly thereafter, about 20 yds. from the first, I hookup the second Guadalupe of the day.
P7210408.JPG
I'm tickled pink at this point. I've developed an obsession with these Guadalupe bass over the last few months. I love the amount of spunk and fight these guys have.

I keep trolling along and hookup a squirrely little fish that is indicative of a Sunfish. Sure enough, I pull up a 9+" Longear, that is probably my biggest Longear ever (I said that in my last post also, but this one is bigger than that last one).
P7210411.JPG
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: The Guadalupe's Guadalupes

Post by jhb »

At this point I'm a half mile past the confluence and I'm getting into all sorts of floating grassy masses, which is a pain with treble hooks. I pick em up and head back to the confluence. I drop down and make a pass through and hook up my third Guadalupe of the day.
P7210416.JPG
I love these guys and enjoyed placing them all back in the river of their ancestors existence. I hope to catch every one of those guys again one day.
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Looks like a good afternoon of Guads on the Guad. Thanks for the report!
Yak'Razy

Post by Yak'Razy »

Going to New Braunfels August 1-5... Would LOVE some pointers... Lures, techniques, finding the fish... Not much of a fresh water guy... But want to learn.
pop1655

Post by pop1655 »

My kind of deal there!
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Yak'Razy wrote:Going to New Braunfels August 1-5... Would LOVE some pointers... Lures, techniques, finding the fish... Not much of a fresh water guy... But want to learn.
From what I've learned over the past few months, from personal experience, internet research and videos, is that their habitat is essentially the opposite of the Largemouth.

Check out this video and this one from TPWD.

Whereas, the Largemouth love the deeper pools and submerged structure, the Guadalupe thrive in the swifter, more shallow parts of the river. This also explains their difference in size. The LMB can grow to be long and heavy fish, because the amount/quality of food at those depths sustains them at that size. In just a few feet of water (6'-8' at most and typically < 5') the food chain doesn't exist to support large fish like the LMB. Since the Guadalupe focus on the swift moving water from behind obstructions (so they don't burn energy swimming in place) and the majority of their time is spent in these shallow areas where the current is more swift, they're naturally smaller fish.

That being said, when comparing two athletes of the same size, the one who constantly does resistance training with higher weights (water current in this case) will be stronger when it comes to lifting weights, when compared to an athlete who does not do resistance or weight training at all. I draw the comparison between a Guadalupe and a Largemouth. Since, Guadalupe spend their time in currents, they're "stronger" fish when compared to a Largemouth of similar size who spends their time in still water. Guadalupes put up a decent fight for their size.

I find my luck being right before or right after a swift(er) section of the river. They lurk behind obstructions watching for an opportunistic meal to pass by in the current. My baits travel with the current. I choose natural looking lipped cranks from H2O Express and Rapala. I focus on the 3'-5' depth and less, in natural colors. I don't choose any in a solid color and like the ones with the black dot behind the ear (like the Longear sunfish). Rarely, when fishing the middle of the day, I'll find them at 6'-8' but there aren't too many holes on the Guadalupe around here that are that deep.

I use a steady retrieve and usually cast upstream and retrieve with the current, or troll in the direction of the current. I have equal luck in mornings and evenings but they're always in a swifter portion, or just in front/behind/off to the side of swifter water. They're not going to be in the middle of a long stretch of still water, lakes, etc. Focus near shallow obstructions near these swifter areas.

Hope this helps. PM me when you're in town and I just might be on the water one of those days.
dandturtle830

Post by dandturtle830 »

good report's.
Yak'Razy

Post by Yak'Razy »

JHB,

We are actually staying @ Lake Dunlap... I'm sure that makes a difference in the species and quantities of fish that are found... I haven't been there before (Lake Dunlap) so I'm guessing the water will not be running through like the rest of the Guadalupe.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

It won't be but there are some great Largemouths, catfish and gar. If you can make it to the dam, fish right above it, deep for big catfish. LMBs can be found anywhere along the river's edge and under boat docks. I have equal luck with plastics and cranks.

Fish early, the boaters love Lake Dunlap before it gets too hot. Night fishing is good also.
Yak'Razy

Post by Yak'Razy »

The lady we are renting from said it gets pretty crazy on the weekends... So we should be able to enjoy a couple days of PB free water. There is an island right across from where we are staying. Looking at it from Google maps, it seems as though there is a lot of cover to fish under... Then I've got plenty of perch rigs for the kiddos. I'm certain we will have a great time.
Yak'Razy

Post by Yak'Razy »

Oh... And the dam looks like its quite the paddle from where we are staying... I might try to get there though... My tarpon should make it a little easier on me :-)
rockin4m

Post by rockin4m »

this is all great info, thanks for sharing!!
dandturtle830

Post by dandturtle830 »

@yak crazy there is a boat ramp under I-35 with a short paddle up to the dam or cypress park is a also good launch point.
Flyfisher87

Post by Flyfisher87 »

those are very nice fish.