Texoma Stripers

Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Texoma Stripers

Post by Earl »

I may be hitting Texoma this evening and then again in the AM around the dam to chase striper top water.

I am sure it will be a boat show but you just got to get out there and mingle. I plan on being off of the water by 9-10am.

SYOTW,

Earl
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Texoma Stripers

Post by Earl »

I made a trip up to Texoma yesterday with anticipation of chasing some top water Striper action. Instead of putting in at the dam I thought I would put in at Platter Flats and avoid the boat show. I got on the water at 6am and there was a real push of boats headed for the dam and main lake area. A 10 knot ESE breeze and I got out between Platter and Washita Point and zero topwater action. I paddled toward Burns Run and still zero topwater . Then I headed for Rocky Point and could see all the boat that went to the dam earlier were now sitting about a mile NE of Rocky Point jigging and baiting for deeper water stripers. I saw a little action as I paddled by. Kept paddling to Rocky Point and then on up Little Mineral with no hits while trolling. Made shore and took a swim and quick break then decided this is just going to be a paddle trip. I pointed the boat toward Platter Flats and started paddling. About a mile and half from Platter I hook up with a nice fish but he manage to shake the hook. I did a couple of large circle around the area and then kept going. Then about 40 degrees off of my port bow I see the sure sign of stripers, bricks hitting the water. I knew these were some larger fish as this was some serious water being kicked up. Now I am on the hunt and paddling hard to catch up to these guys before the go back down or someone else spots them. Just as I am paddling into the area one line goes off. The drag is really getting a workout as I get the other line in and it is 20lb braid. After a few minutes the brute finally does the circle dance and gives up. I did a few more circles in the area and some looking around for more bricks hitting the water but no luck. Headed back to the truck and was loaded up by 11:45. Ended up paddling just under 16 miles, this was a good workout.
This guy will make some nice blackened striper.

SYOTW,
Earl
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

Nice job. 16 miles for 1 fish, you are dedicated. I have some second hand contact to guides that operate out of Soldier Creek and they say there is just starting to be a little top water showing up in the mornings around Platter Flats.

It ought to be coming on strong pretty soon though. I kayak some between Caney & Soldier Creeks with my fly rod and sometimes over to Platter in our Fishmaster also with the fly rod.

I will holler or give you a ride if I see you out kayaking while we are there.

What is your kayak?

John
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Thanks, I was out for a long paddle also. I like to paddle, working to make sure I can endure 20-30 miles/day. I paddle an Ocean Kayak Trident 15, Olive Green.

I hit the lake this AM early and found the topwater action a boiling. More to come on another post.

Earl
fishinmachine

Post by fishinmachine »

That's excellent conditioning, Earl. Are you training for an event?
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Not any sanctioned event but rather a bucket list item that will need me to be able to paddle 30-40 miles per day for 10 consecutive days. More specific later this year if I actually get set and ready to go, probably in Oct. I am still waiting to see if I will have the vacation time for it.

Earl