Texoma Stripers

Flyway12

Texoma Stripers

Post by Flyway12 »

Howdy all, this will be my first post. I'm a graduating veterinary student from Texas A&M. I'll be starting at a mixed animal practice in Van Alstyne, TX Monday. I was born and raised in Frisco, TX back before she boomed into the metro mess. The past 8 years I've been in College Station and have taken up the salt water fishing. Absolutely love the salt to the point it's ruined fresh water for me to an extent. So, I grew up fishing with Dad on Texoma, caught plenty of stripers just dropping bait or casting lures out in the deeper water. Looking to chase these guys up on the flats wading or kayaking. I was wondering if anybody has experience with this and would be willing to share some basic knowledge. I'm mainly trying to decide on the time of year these fish get active in the shallows. From what I know they should be moving shallow in the next month or so in the early morning or late evening hours. Any help is appreciated.
Vlaude
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Texoma Stripers

Post by Vlaude »

Shoot me an email if you'd like or private msg. Out there a bit in the fall winter and spring. I'll be on the lake this weekend too.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

Keep an eye on the Fishing Reports Posted at "sixoldgeezers.com" too. At least you will be able to see when the fish start really going at it on topwater.

I do some yaking between Soldier Creek and Caney Creek with fly rod chasing them on tops.

John
CityByTheSeaCitizen
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by CityByTheSeaCitizen »

The little ones will school all summer on the surface. They are usually in deep water, but on texoma, deep water can be very near the shore.

The big ones will stop surfacing (except very early morning) in the very near future.

I had a great year on Texoma, as I went 6 times and limited with both over fish every time. This was a mild winter, so the shad and striper should be thick again this year. Just hope it doesn't get too hot this summer, and start killing the big fish again. Most of my trips last year were near the state park.
YAK'N AGGIE

Post by YAK'N AGGIE »

I'll be heading out there weekend after this one (first weekend in June) to try one last run at some good topwater action before it starts to taper off until September.

Here's a video from last weekend. We paddled out to Treasure Island from Highport Marina and camped out. No behemoths but it was a blast and I might do the same thing next weekend. You're welcome to join, shoot me a PM if you'll be around. I live on the Frisco/Plano border off 121.

Flyway12

Post by Flyway12 »

I'll have to shout at you for sure. I'm Animal Science class of 09 at TAMU and Doctor of veterinary medicine 13 at TAMU. I'm living back home with my folks right now at coit and 121. Work as a mixed animal veterinarian in Van Alstyne. I'm heading up there in the morning to try some tops from the bank for grins. We're closed, my yaks are still in College Station though so I'm going on foot.