Old Town Vapor Rigging suggestions

jacobc_tx

Old Town Vapor Rigging suggestions

Post by jacobc_tx »

I just got a Old Town Vapor 10 ft off craigslist for $225 and I was wondering if anyone has had this kayak before- What tips do you have for rigging it up? The little hatch behind the seat is kind of small so milk crate won't fit there. I've taken it out in Matagorda bay once so far and it seems like a good Yak, being that it's my first one!
Thanks for any advice or pointers!
Attachments
kayak.jpg
Fadedred

Re: Old Town Vapor Rigging suggestions

Post by Fadedred »

I had a 12' Vapor. I posted it here:
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... &start=500

Ample storage between my feet with some extra behind the seat. I used the hatch for anchor, drag chute, markers ect. I added a dash for the fish finder, ran the wires clipped under the gunnels for the battery & transducer behind the seat.
hbff.jpg
Later I added a couple Scotty's to the deck behind the seat.
callowayDUDE

Re: Old Town Vapor Rigging suggestions

Post by callowayDUDE »

I have a S in K myself, and I strap my crate down on top of my back hatch cover,
DSCN0368.JPG
DSCN0368.JPG (118.45 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
after I stow away my gear, I only use the rear hatch for non fishing related items so I won't have to dig around in there while I'm on the water... If you won't have to access the back hatch while on the water then that could be an option, if your are wanting to use to back hatch and still have a crate then I'm not sure where you will put the crate, if it's a small low profile crate you might be able to put it on the front?

Also milk crates are pretty easy to cut apart with a utility knife(new blades slice right through 'em), reconstruct the angles so they fit, zip-tie it together, and cut off the excess... install some pad eyes around your rear hatch so you have something to strap your crate down with... I just use rubber bungees for mine...

Good luck with your upgrade, Sit In's can be tricky to rig out, Post up some pics when you get it rigged