2hp on a Cobra Fish n Dive - Is it worth trying ?

OzFnD

2hp on a Cobra Fish n Dive - Is it worth trying ?

Post by OzFnD »

Guys

Just testing the waters on this one, haven't done it before !

The cobra fish n dive is a wide kayak and designed to take a motor mount.

On occasion I may run a 30 pound thrust electric motor, which works when the current isnt too strong. I have only used it on lakes and rivers ( not off shore). I have seen some footage and online posts / pictures of a person every now and then cruising along using a very small petrol board like a 2 HP or similar.

Simple question:

Anyone tried it , is it worth the effort and what did you think?

Like I said, I'm just testing the waters on this idea for merit, if it's not worth it than aim dropping the idea.

I was thinking if was OK then it might be a cheap way to get from A to B when it comes to powered fishing craft.

Cheers

OzFnD
chazbo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: 2hp on a Cobra Fish n Dive - Is it worth trying ?

Post by chazbo »

I don't see any problem with it. Not that I have done it, but like you say, I have seen a number of people use electric trolling motors without any problems. My only concern would be where you locate the gas tank, and what happens if you turtle in the surf.

I do know if you tow a FnD behind a ski boat, you have a lot of water shooting up through the scuppers....... :D
OzFnD

Post by OzFnD »

chazbo wrote:I don't see any problem with it. Not that I have done it, but like you say, I have seen a number of people use electric trolling motors without any problems. My only concern would be where you locate the gas tank, and what happens if you turtle in the surf.

I do know if you tow a FnD behind a ski boat, you have a lot of water shooting up through the scuppers....... :D
Petrol is contained in the top of the motor so it's one neat compact unit.
We can launch also in areas along Australian coast where we don't have to worry about crashing surf. Our weather / coastal conditions for kayak fishing are completely different to what you guys describe for your location.

Cheers

OzFnD
Poolio

Post by Poolio »

If you do it, I recommend mounting at the rear, instead of off to one side. That would be alot of weight hanging on one side of a yak. Plus your fish will swim into it alot if it's right next to you. I have always wondered what my PA would be like up on plane though :mrgreen: . Whatever you decide, PLEASE invite a friend to video tape this moment cause it'll either be really awesome, or super funny.

-Poo
Troutless
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Troutless »

A picture of this motor would be worth a thousand words.
sheriff_john

Post by sheriff_john »

Poolio wrote:. Whatever you decide, PLEASE invite a friend to video tape this moment cause it'll either be really awesome, or super funny.
Please video it...we want to share in your adventure!!!! :D
OzFnD

Post by OzFnD »

As I said guys,

Us Aussies are an inventive lot and wish I could claim credit for this but I can't. I found this on a search for local Aussie kayak fishing forums.

This isn't me, haven't met or communicated with the person involved but it is as funny as piss when you read through it.

http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 685#p96685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers

OzFnD
OzFnD

Post by OzFnD »

For those who want a real laugh, go to google search and types in the words " Kayak, Jet Engine" and have a look at how many hits come up especially the YouTube clips.

On a seperate note if your looking at tiny motors to power small water craft check out the following links of light weight engine options:

http://www.whippella.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This converts a weed wacker or whipped snipper as we call it to a light weight outboard motor. Do a YouTube search for " Whippella" and have a look at how fast the kayaks are going, it's pretty impressive. On the website of this Aussie company it even shows a photo of a Weedwacker outboard with the Whippella unit fitted into the Mirage Drive of a Hobie ( photo only). The use of this unit is really limited by your imagination but would be a great DYI job on a kayak.

Also

There is a motor called " Super Chibi" that is a 5 kg 1 HP micro outboard motor. It runs off a Honda motor and I think they are roughly around $500.

http://marine.thaismarttech.com/index.p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 91&lang=en

If you search for it on YouTube you will see it in action.

Good for a laugh

OzFnD