Shimano Symetre or Stradic??

YakkinSETX
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Shimano Symetre or Stradic??

Post by YakkinSETX »

The Symetre is $99 and I think the Stradic is $179. Is it worth the extra $ for the Stradic.

I'm using a couple of Symetres now. One of them still works great after many saltwater trips, the other one is grinding pretty bad.
deleon23

Re: Shimano Symetre or Stradic??

Post by deleon23 »

I also fish with a couple 2500 symetres and would like to hear some feedback on this.
Good question YakkinSETX!
Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Finn Maccumhail »

It's your call but I've got a Stradic 4000 in the old white style that's at least 10 years old and has been used pretty hard on everything from Chesapeake stripers to LMB to reds, trout & jacks and other than some boat rash is still smooth as glass and rock-solid on the anti-reverse.

Personally, I know there are less expensive options but I can't imagine the more expensive reels (Stella, etc) being worth it.
5moreminutes
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by 5moreminutes »

Stradic ci4. Light weight and worth the money. I don't abuse my reels and had 2 solstaces crap out with less usage versus the stradic .
Auburn Angler

Post by Auburn Angler »

I love my 2yr old Stradic 3000FJ...same size as the 2500 with a larger line capacity. Two spools rigged out and if I ever have to buy another reel, it will be a stradic.
FlounderPounder15

Post by FlounderPounder15 »

I love my shimano saros 3000, its right in the middle at 140$.
aggie182
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by aggie182 »

I have a stradic ci4 2500. It is light, rock solid, and would be the one reel I'd pick if I could only keep one. Worth every penny to me.
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

I'm an okuma guy but academy has a great deal on the stradic ci4 4000 regular $219 on sale in store for $149
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 4294962838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lurejunkee
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by lurejunkee »

I love my Stradic.... got mine as a gift and will be the only spinning reel i own.... again.
Facehook

Post by Facehook »

I haven't fished a Symetre yet, but my Stradic FJ is much better than my Sahara (one step down from Symetre).
deleon23

Post by deleon23 »

Certainly not trying to jack your post Yakkinsetx but in my behalf, thanks for the input guys!
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

I have about 16 Stradic FH and FI and have dabbled with other reels like Quantum Cabo PT 20 but I love the smooth feel of the Stradic. But you will be replacing bearings about every 2-4 years.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I've had a Stradic 4000 for about 15 years and could not be happier with it, but I have used lower cost Shimano spinning reels and have only noticed a few minor differences between them and the Stradic. Barely enough to suggest you spend the extra money.

But, before you buy a new reel, I'd suggest you take that Symettre to a good reel repair guy and have it proffessionally cleaned and have any bad bearings replaced. At FTU, if they find major issues with your reel, they'll call you and let you know how much it will cost to repair before they proceed. If you don't want to spend that money, then buy a new reel. But if all it needs is a bearing change-out, that's how I'd go.
deleon23

Post by deleon23 »

jsuber wrote:I have about 16 Stradic FH and FI and have dabbled with other reels like Quantum Cabo PT 20 but I love the smooth feel of the Stradic. But you will be replacing bearings about every 2-4 years.
:shock: 16! :shock: I can imagine what your kayak looks like with 16 rod holders!!! j/k
if you ever want to throw any away, just let me know!!
s-rod

Post by s-rod »

saltykat wrote:I'm an okuma guy but academy has a great deal on the stradic ci4 4000 regular $219 on sale in store for $149
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 4294962838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the heads up. I am going to go pick one up at Academy after work!
s-rod

Post by s-rod »

s-rod wrote:
saltykat wrote:I'm an okuma guy but academy has a great deal on the stradic ci4 4000 regular $219 on sale in store for $149
Thanks for the heads up. I am going to go pick one up at Academy after work!
I called the 3 Academy's nearest me and none of them have these reels in stock. Has anyone seen some in stock? If not I may just go to Bass Pro Shops and have them match the price...I'm sure they have them in stock. I know last time Academy put the Curado's on sale every store in the Houston area was sold out, but BPS had plenty and they matched the price. Only problem with that plan is that I have a few Academy Gift Cards I would like to use.
Off The Hook
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Off The Hook »

i have used nothing but symmetre's 2500 series and have landed a nice 34 in bull red with it, no problems. as long as you clean it once a year like i do cuz I manage to dunk my reels (not intentionally) but it happens so maintenance is important but they will do good by you.
Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Finn Maccumhail »

jsuber wrote:I have about 16 Stradic FH and FI and have dabbled with other reels like Quantum Cabo PT 20 but I love the smooth feel of the Stradic. But you will be replacing bearings about every 2-4 years.
I get that mileage may vary but I've never had to replace the bearings on my Stradic.
YakkinSETX
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by YakkinSETX »

Thanks for all the help, I went with the Stradic. Now if the weather will cooperate so I can try it out.
Bad Luck Guy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Bad Luck Guy »

I own both and while the Stradic is nicer, I got mine on clearance for $99. I would never have paid $179 for it.
gdavis

Post by gdavis »

stradic. hands down. had a guy tell me my three year old stradic isnt up to his standard of cleanliness and said he wouldnt use it. caught an oversized red yesterday on 10# test in less than a foot of water. that reel is just awesome.
deleon23

Post by deleon23 »

gdavis wrote:stradic. hands down. had a guy tell me my three year old stradic isnt up to his standard of cleanliness and said he wouldnt use it. caught an oversized red yesterday on 10# test in less than a foot of water. that reel is just awesome.
nice!!! :clap:
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

gdavis wrote:stradic. hands down. had a guy tell me my three year old stradic isnt up to his standard of cleanliness and said he wouldnt use it. caught an oversized red yesterday on 10# test in less than a foot of water. that reel is just awesome.
While I agree, it should be noted that all of the Shimano reels I've ever used has a really good drag system. Not sure if it's the design or materials or both, but I have landed numerous large reds and some pretty hefty black drum and jack crevelle with my Stradic using 10 lb mono and a 30 lb fluorocarbon shock-leader. From my old Calcuttas, to my Chronarchs and an old Mark IIIQ spinning reel (circa 1990) I use to use for nearshore fishing before I got the Stradic, they all have great drags.
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

YakkinSETX wrote: One of them still works great after many saltwater trips, the other one is grinding pretty bad.
Most likely the one that is grinding will be fixable with new parts and a good cleaning. But if you have money burning a hole in your pocket then I would buy the next level up to get a good idea about the quality of the reel.

Good luck with your decision.
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

deleon23 wrote:
:shock: 16! :shock: I can imagine what your kayak looks like with 16 rod holders!!! j/k
if you ever want to throw any away, just let me know!!
I don't carry all my reels fishing. That's Justin Carter. He carries 20-24. It should be noted that I get about 150 to 200 days on the water each year and that's almost half what slow ride and ms slow ride spend on the Saltwater.