Heartbroken at Bolivar Pocket Sunday AM 9/2

keystone

Heartbroken at Bolivar Pocket Sunday AM 9/2

Post by keystone »

I fished Bolivar Pocket for the first time earlier today. Caught some junk...a couple 14 inch Trout, one 14 inch black drum and several croakers. About 10:30 I hooked up with a beautiful 25 inch trout. I got it to the yak and grabbed for my net, and right as I had the head in, it turned away and broke loose....the day would not be the same. I came home empty handed.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Heartbroken at Bolivar Pocket Sunday AM 9/2

Post by Dandydon »

Mr. Keystone, thanks for your bracing tale of "the big one that got away."
Take heart in knowing under our stupid TX. Speckled trout rules, you could have kept ONLY one speck 25 inches or over.
So had you caught another trout even bigger, you would have had to release one of those beauties.
At least you got that going for you.
Plus, next time, please net the fish properly and you might not feel like a newbie nerd. Hello.
--Dandy Don
keystone

Post by keystone »

Dandydon wrote:Plus, next time, please net the fish properly and you might not feel like a newbie nerd. Hello.
--Dandy Don
ummm.... Not sure if you're trying to be helpful or insulting... :?:

Guiding a fish headfirst into the net is what I believe to be common practice. I was just reporting on my unfortunate day on the water.
PhuKing

Post by PhuKing »

Keystone I feel you man it happen to countless fishermans out there not only you. It's happen and keep at it you will get her again
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Dandydon is not being serious - that is his humor at 1:07 am with a couple makers marks in his system. I am proud of you for hooking a 25 inched at anahuac pocket. That is an area I like at certain time of the year but never knew it held a trout that size. Nice job!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Keystone (7 posts), don't be so sensitive; I was praising you & trying to make you smile. You did fine.
All newbies need to "go through the TKF gauntlet," then come out the other side stronger, better & thick-of-skin... :P
We're here to help you.
Yessir... 8)
Tight lines,
--Dandy Don
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfpunk »

It happens dude. They don't call em' paper-mouths for nothing. Wash down a melatonin with some makers and watch a Kevin Cochran dvd.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

surfpunk wrote:It happens dude. They don't call em' paper-mouths for nothing. Wash down a melatonin with some makers and watch a Kevin Cochran dvd.
Good one surfpunk!
Eddie Mac

Post by Eddie Mac »

Dude, congrats on hookin a biggin. Paper mouths, I get puckered every time I go to land a good one.
kneekap

Post by kneekap »

Lots of nice specks lost at the yak because folks get too excited and try
and horse it in while still green or rod too stiff and not enough flex in close.
Hooks tear out of the mouth and away they go..........

Keep at it and don't let this get you down. There are more fish to be
caught.
jopa

Post by jopa »

Keystone..at least you got to see it up close. You now have the memory of catching a 25 incher. I was out wade fishing TCD a couple of years ago. Was catching a bunch of small specs, was fun..but wanted some big ones to hit. All of a sudden, got a good hit, set the hook and the fight was on. When the fish broke the water, and I saw the spots and the size...the adrenaline kicked in. Grabbed my net, guided that dude in there, grabbed it with my trusty Mustad grabber, and measured it against my rod ruler. 24+ inches....was putting the fishing in my donut net, got it in there and was about to pull the string that close up the hole, and this fish does a dolphin move like it was working the crowd at Sea World. Next thing it is flopping around on top of the net...I grab it with my rod free hand, and it squirts out and back into the water. After I was done cussing (and crying on the inside), I threw back into the same spot and over the next 10 minutes caught 3 keepers. It was nice to have some redemption, but none were anywhere close to the one that got away. That is what keeps us going back.
keystone

Post by keystone »

surfpunk wrote:Wash down a melatonin with some makers and watch a Kevin Cochran dvd.

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: That's good advice...
Attachments
photo.jpg
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfpunk »

keystone wrote:
surfpunk wrote:Wash down a melatonin with some makers and watch a Kevin Cochran dvd.

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: That's good advice...
:shock: :wink:
WhiskeyBravo

Post by WhiskeyBravo »

well you are right, you are supposed to guide it in head first...

Hey DD, do you have any interest in being in the GD forum??? I really like your MM infused rants (im being serious). And whether or not you agree with me on any topic I would get much enjoyment from what you would have to offer to the GD forum. Please consider. Dont ask BB though, he isn't letting anyone in...Well maybe you since you are a lawyer he would reconsider :D ... But please, I would love for you to contribute to the controlled chaos in the GD forum.

(i know there are many gramatical errors in this post, I have only had 1 cup of coffe this AM and do not feel like correcting myself at the moment)
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Hey Whiskey Bravo, thanks for the invite to crash the "General Discussion" party board.
I can rant & rave with the best of you, especially when I party with "my little friends."... :roll:
I am a card-carrying Makers Mark Whiskey Ambassador, & proud of it. I also like other fine intoxicants, but you're too young to corrupt at this tender stage in your life... :oops:
If I entered your GD portal, I would be reluctant to become the "free lawyer" for your Discussion Board. Already I give out plenty of free advice to the many scofflaws on the TKF SW & Fishing forums.
I would have to be accepted as just another tired, old burnt-out, underpaid cynical fisherman... :lol: My time to fish, bike, practice Black-belt Chinese Kung-Fu, drink fine drinks & chase young nubile women is limited.
Thank you for caring... 8)
I remain,
--Dandy Don
The Fishing Attorney
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

WhiskeyBravo wrote:Hey DD, do you have any interest in being in the GD forum??? I really like your MM infused rants (im being serious). And whether or not you agree with me on any topic I would get much enjoyment from what you would have to offer to the GD forum. Please consider. Dont ask BB though, he isn't letting anyone in...Well maybe you since you are a lawyer he would reconsider :D ... But please, I would love for you to contribute to the controlled chaos in the GD forum
I HEREBY SECOND THE NOMINATION AND DEMAND TO SEE IT IMPLEMENTED!! DandyDon's stories and antics are far too inspirational and entertaining for just the lucky few who get to fish with him regularly; he must be shared with the world.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thank you Shoffer & Whiskey Bravo. I know the General Discussion forum is limited & hard to join up with. My crazy antics, lifestyle & experience could possibly add to the "Gen. Discussion experience."... :lol:
Maybe that crusty old landlocked Barnacle Bill will have to "approve me."
Well how the Hell do you know if I'll approve of old Barnacle Bill?!
I stand ready to serve... 8)
--Dandy Don
engineer

Post by engineer »

I fished Bolivar Pocket earlier this year and like a moron, I forgot my net. Hooked on 3 specks, 15, 16 and 22 and sure enough, each and every time they spit the hook out. The 22 inch I actually had in my hands, then he fin slapped me in the face and proceeded to jump back in the water.

Needless to say, trout can be tricky.
Skitterwalker

Post by Skitterwalker »

Nice catch Keystone and don't listen to anyone about losing that fish. There isn't one of us out here that doesn't have an almost exact same story. That's just part of fishing. Its like that other guy said....at least you got to see it. Nothing worse then a good fish you never get a glimpse of. You'll get him next time.