good launch spot for galveston state park

painterb

good launch spot for galveston state park

Post by painterb »

Hows it going guys its been awhile , been thinking about fishing galveston state park. Looking for a good spot to launch kayak and park the truck, any launch spots would be appreciated feel free to join me heading out there saturday morning.
serrano408

Re: good launch spot for galveston state park

Post by serrano408 »

I have only been there once but I think parking cost $5 I drove all the way down past the RV parking and parked on the side of the rd it was an easy access.Plz anybody correct me if I'm wrong it's been a few years .
Red tickler

Post by Red tickler »

You are correct. There's three launch spots in the park but I've only used the one at the end that puts in at Dana cove. Good luck
Centexfisherman

Post by Centexfisherman »

Yep...to the end of the bayside road. You have to pay an entrance fee on the beach side of the park, but they don't open until 7 or 8am. You can pay when you're done fishing. Once you launch, go out to the geotubes and fish the outside deeper water. Nice Reds and Specks out there. Caught a 21-inch Red 2 weeks ago.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

Centexfisherman wrote:Yep...to the end of the bayside road. You have to pay an entrance fee on the beach side of the park, but they don't open until 7 or 8am. You can pay when you're done fishing. Once you launch, go out to the geotubes and fish the outside deeper water. Nice Reds and Specks out there. Caught a 21-inch Red 2 weeks ago.
Unless something's changed, TPWD will cite you for entering before you've paid. You can pay outside the office at the payment box before they open; fill out the card and put in the money, or fill in your State Parks Pass number, and put the sticker on your windshield. The gate isn't supposed to open before 0700 hours, but often gets left open by campers.
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Actually they open at 8AM. I was there just shy of 7AM and had to wait until they open their office so I did not get a ticket. The cost is $5.

There are two launching areas that are good. The one at Oak Bayou and my preferred one in the Lake Como.

The one for Carancahua Cover is a long stretch that is not good for my home made kayak cart, so I have never gone there.
Attachments
Carancahua Cove
Carancahua Cove
Oak Bayou and Lake Como
Oak Bayou and Lake Como
GvISP.PNG (35.86 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
engineer

Post by engineer »

No, its open earlier. There is a form you can grab and attach to your window. You put the fee with the rest of the form in their dropbox. The gate normally opens at 7:00AM.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

enginerd wrote:No, its open earlier. There is a form you can grab and attach to your window. You put the fee with the rest of the form in their dropbox. The gate normally opens at 7:00AM.
That's correct. The office doesn't open until 0800. Look toward the left side of the office from the road and you'll see thye payment station.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

This might help. I have been there many times before 8, go to the station on the right (unmanned) fill out your ticket, put $5 and the stub of your ticket in the box, put the white part of your ticket on your windshield - go fish.

mpg2yahoo, you can drive down that long path from the parking lot (launch 3 in my pic), unload then park back in the parking lot. You get closer to the water than at any other launch, no cart required. But don't tell anyone.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... &mode=view

Fargo
Last edited by Fargo on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Fargo wrote: mpg2yahoo, you can drive down that long path from the parking lot (launch 1 in my pic), unload then park back in the parking lot. You get closer to the water than at any other launch, no cart required. But don't tell anyone.

Fargo
I did not know that. Thanks for that....and I won't tell anybody :wink:

FYI, outside Caranchua Cove's geotube breakwater, there is an area where they dug out the sand they put in some of the geotubes. It is noticable on the google-earth map. That area is the longest paddle from any of the three put-in spots and is only worth it if the trout are in there - 2 out of the 3 times I've made that paddle, they were not. The 3rd time they were there and I got a near limit of trout to 18" along with a few smallish flounder I caught on the way out there.
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Fargo wrote:This might help. I have been there many times before 8, go to the station on the right (unmanned) fill out your ticket, put $5 and the stub of your ticket in the box, put the white part of your ticket on your windshield - go fish.

mpg2yahoo, you can drive down that long path from the parking lot (launch 3 in my pic), unload then park back in the parking lot. You get closer to the water than at any other launch, no cart required. But don't tell anyone.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... &mode=view

Fargo
I have seen that station b4, but was not aware I could do this. Silly me wasting a good hour of fishing! :horse:

I'm a bit worry about off roading my car in paths with shells. Last time I did in Sportsman Rd I lost a new tire that I changed two weeks before ending costing me another $180 to replace. The gap was about 3-4 inches long, so it could not be repaired.

Thanks Fargo!
painterb

Post by painterb »

Thanks guys for the directions greatly appreciated !!!!!