Kayak Lights

rbpwrd240

Kayak Lights

Post by rbpwrd240 »

Howdy all,

Anyone have good ideas about how to give the yak head lights and running lights? I want to be able to kayak at night without worying about downed trees etc. I also want some lights maybe on a switch inside the yak for tying knots and such at night. Im crusing on an Ocean Kayak Drifter. I already run a 6v battery and fish finder as well as a night time green fishing light. Im thinking of wiring in one 12v or two 6 volts batteries and some lights.

Any input? (pictures preffered)
Thanks
Alex R.
gotcha

Re: Kayak Lights

Post by gotcha »

I have the wildcats green fishing and navigation lights and interior.http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p536/sv268/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D I had the switch cusome made and is waterproof.
dmanars

Post by dmanars »

Thats one mean yak Heres mine. Im not done yet. Im going to add inner lights to see storage and outer lights for anything I need a light for. :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMAG0161-1.jpg
IMAG0161-1.jpg (27.17 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
gotcha

Post by gotcha »

Used my lights down on Grassy Point, they worked on collecting shrimp and fish around the boat. Also good for seeing what is in front of you. :D Nice yak!!
Flyfisher87

Post by Flyfisher87 »

dmanars wrote:Thats one mean yak Heres mine. Im not done yet. Im going to add inner lights to see storage and outer lights for anything I need a light for. :mrgreen:

Thats pretty awesome man
dmanars

Post by dmanars »

I would do wildcat if I could afford it. I just cant right now. :(
Mojo227

Post by Mojo227 »

You can get the LED strips at just about any auto parts store on the cheap. Think I paid $18 for 2 12" strips.
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

Did mine my self. Got the lights from these folks http://www.oznium.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Water proof switches from Academy. Battery box/holder from Fry's
Attachments
DSCN3524 (Small).JPG
DSCN3524 (Small).JPG (21.57 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
DSCN3523 (Small).JPG
DSCN3523 (Small).JPG (18.42 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
DSCN3522 (Small).JPG
DSCN3522 (Small).JPG (22.01 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

More Pics
Attachments
DSCN3526 (Small).JPG
DSCN3526 (Small).JPG (16.26 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
DSCN3521 (Small).JPG
DSCN3521 (Small).JPG (25.68 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
DSCN3520 (Small).JPG
DSCN3520 (Small).JPG (16.33 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

A couple of more pics
Attachments
DSCN3531 (Small).JPG
DSCN3527 (Small).JPG
DSCN3527 (Small).JPG (28.01 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
tbeak

Post by tbeak »

Done mine from oznium as well. wildcat is overpriced for the same lights. they do look more professional than what i could do, but i dont care. saved about 200 bucks.
Nano-Skiff
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Nano-Skiff »

All of those lights run off of 4 - AA batteries?
jeffw114

Post by jeffw114 »

JbVenable wrote:All of those lights run off of 4 - AA batteries?
That's the nice thing about led's... They run off little power for long periods of time.
Clewis2012

Post by Clewis2012 »

is there anywhere you cant take you yak to get this done? i would much rather someone who knows what they are doing do it for me rather than me do it and mess it up.
gotcha

Post by gotcha »

Austin Canoe and Kayak. Austin, Houston, San Marcos
s-rod

Post by s-rod »

texan4ut wrote:Did mine my self. Got the lights from these folks http://www.oznium.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Texan4ut...great install! How did you mount the lights on the side of your center console? Did you just load them up with goop?
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

dmanars wrote:Thats one mean yak Heres mine. Im not done yet. Im going to add inner lights to see storage and outer lights for anything I need a light for. :mrgreen:

What kayak do you have those lights installed on, and do you happen to have more pictures of the set-up, where the battery is, where other lights are or will be? If you've got pictures, I would really appreciate seeing them.

I've about decided to buy another Outback, and I'm thinking about lights for fishing.

Thanks!!!!

Ray
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

texan4ut wrote:Did mine my self. Got the lights from these folks http://www.oznium.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Texan,

Do you have installation pictures of your light build? I'd really like to see them if you do. That looks like a great job.

Ray
Brooksido

Post by Brooksido »

Has anyone every tried one of those SeaSense LED livewell lights from Academy (or online) as an interior light on their yak? I'm thinking of installing one to use for tying knots, etc. at night. Just curious if they're bright enough. If you have one, and have a pic, please post!
dmanars

Post by dmanars »

Harold Ray wrote:

What kayak do you have those lights installed on, and do you happen to have more pictures of the set-up, where the battery is, where other lights are or will be? If you've got pictures, I would really appreciate seeing them.

I've about decided to buy another Outback, and I'm thinking about lights for fishing.

Thanks!!!!

Ray
Sorry I havent checked this page in a while.
Its for an x-factor. Im now in the process of adding more lights. Two more underneith my yak. two inside the cargo area and two on the out sid. I dont really know what colors to use yet. I think Im going with yellow on the outside and red inside
5x5

Post by 5x5 »

Red will save your night vision whild green is suppose to be the best for attracting fish.
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

Harold Ray wrote:

Texan,

Do you have installation pictures of your light build? I'd really like to see them if you do. That looks like a great job.

Ray
I will be rigging up some stuff here in the near future and I will do my best to take pictures and write up an install so at least everybody can see what not to do 8) I bought some lights from ozonium and got the 19in strips and I'm going to cut them down by about 3-6 bulbs to get them close to the same length as the wildcats. I mainly want them for duck hunting for more visibility while paddling in the dark with all the other crazy duck hunters flying through the marsh only guided by their gps and not even looking at the water :roll:
Texas1

Post by Texas1 »

That is a sweet set up Texan4ut. Would you happen to have a list of what you bought in order to rig your yak out that way. I've been wanting to do something like this and now that I've seen how someone has done it I really want to try it out. I especially like the ideas of the lights in all of the storage areas. Think you could help a new guy out.
tritonboats

Post by tritonboats »

I've got a 2012 Malibu X Factor and since I do alot of night fishing, I added a Perko dash light to enable me to see tackle, hooks and re-tie line while fishing at night. Very easy install and have it tied into 12V battery.
Attachments
X Factor rigging 2.JPG
X Factor rigging 1.JPG
jopa

Post by jopa »

Clewis2012 wrote:is there anywhere you cant take you yak to get this done? i would much rather someone who knows what they are doing do it for me rather than me do it and mess it up.
The person that owns YAK-GEAR is in Houston. He will sell you the kit, or he can install it for a little extra. Just got mine done last week. Took it out Friday and it was awesome.
Attachments
Kayak Lights 4.jpg