Ocean Kayak Big Game Cooler Idea

frodojv2007

Ocean Kayak Big Game Cooler Idea

Post by frodojv2007 »

After outfitting my kayak with a smaller cooler I felt it was not versatile enough and started thinking about ways to outfit a larger cooler with pockets and rod holders.

The reason I went with a larger cooler was because it can serve as a cooler to chill drinks in the summer, hold caught fish, act as a live well, and also as storage.

I searched for a lower profile cooler that way it was not so tall. My buddy donated an older cooler.

For the pockets and rod holders I could not find anything that could do both. Yesterday I was going through my tackle and I had a brilliant idea (so I thought). A wading belt is something that most anglers have laying around and I also think that if I want to get off and wade for a while I can take it off the cooler and strap it on and fish.

Well when I put it all together on the Kayak I like my set up and should be everything I need.

By the way I am a pack rat and I like to take lots of tackle. I like to feel like I am prepared on the water.
Attachments
20120130_200010.jpg
20120130_194839.jpg
Mojo227

Re: Ocean Kayak Big Game Cooler Idea

Post by Mojo227 »

Looks good to me! Great use of a wading belt. :clap:
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Great idea. How often do you wade fish these days after buying a kayak?
frodojv2007

Post by frodojv2007 »

Well I have not been kayaking much since I am fairly new to kayak fishing. I do have a boat, I like to wade, and I like the kayak so I do a little of everything. But after kayaking I still think that I would be apt to kayak to a spot and get off to wade. Sometime you need to stretch a little.
frankie14

Post by frankie14 »

Great idea! Due to weight concerns of ice, beer, food, and beer, I have totally dropped coolers from my gear list this winter... probably will have to have one when summer rolls around again.

I read a great tip to recently... Freeze your gatorade or water bottles prior to heading out. This eliminates the need for a cooler if you are just drinking water or sport drinks.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

frankie14 wrote:Great idea! Due to weight concerns of ice, beer, food, and beer, I have totally dropped coolers from my gear list this winter... probably will have to have one when summer rolls around again.

I read a great tip to recently... Freeze your gatorade or water bottles prior to heading out. This eliminates the need for a cooler if you are just drinking water or sport drinks.
I've been doing that and they don't last long in the summer sun. Went with a small cooler and froze the drinks and did fine. Plus you eliminate the need for ice.
kneekap

Post by kneekap »

Try this:

I use a cooler bag from Sam's. Eight bucks! Put ten pounds of ice and it
lasts well. Fits into OK big game prowler tank well behind gear box and is easy
to unzip/drop in a fish and re-zip. Holds a trout limit with ease or a large
pizza..
oarfish

Post by oarfish »

Did you say trout pizza? mmmmmmmmmm