Anybody been to Fayette?

LiverDog
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Anybody been to Fayette?

Post by LiverDog »

I am planning to hit it on Friday. Any advise on what to use this time of year over there. The bass are schooling at bastrop and I heard the schoolies are much bigger at fayette. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
LD
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

I've been to the plant twice, but never to the lake. Being coal fired, I'd bet your last paycheck that all of the units are running. Don't bother going near the outlet side of the lake, unless you want your fish pre-boiled.
TTKII

Post by TTKII »

Fayette is an GREAT lake but not this time of the year. It is still a little to warm to fish. I love to fish the lake from Mid Oct through April/May. There are some great places to paddle these times of the year. If you put in at Park Praire there are some coves that are full of grass and lilly pads a short paddle from the launch. If you launch at Oak Thicket there is a nice point to drift fish with a north or south wind. Across from Oak Thicket is also a very nice cove full of timber. This is the place to fish during the spring.

One warning though the snakes like to coil up next to the bases of the trees and you don't see them till it is WAY to close for me :shock:

I have only fished it a few times out of my kayak. I normally take the bass boat up there because the lake can get rough and crowded very quickly.

Contact me anytime and we can hook up out there. It is a lake I feel very comfortable on to catch fish on a constant basis.
LiverDog
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by LiverDog »

Cool;
Thanks guys. I will check it out on friday and post up on what I find. I just want to hit the schoolies. The ones at bastrop are all about one pound. The ones at Fayette are 2-3 pounders I hear tale. Anyway thanks for the warning on the snakes.
LD
Tamale

Post by Tamale »

not anymore. Something is wrong with Fayette. It used to be like fishing a stock pond. My last 2 tournaments I had to work hard to put 5 fish in the boat. I haven't even heard of anyoen catching anything good out there recently, (last 3 months or so). Of course your gonna have people post they have been tearing it up, but I fish that lake allot and I can tell you its not the same lake. Matter of fact I couldn't even count all the boats out there the last few years, this year even on a Starurday you will see less than 20 boats on the lake, if that tells you anything.

Not uncommon to catch 5-10 fish over 6lbs on a good day though. Hope those days are not long gone.
WATERLOGGED

Post by WATERLOGGED »

I dont know how good the fishing is right now but when i go out htere we use liv ewaterdogs for bait they are expensive but you can usually catch 3 to 4 fish off one dog depending on how bad they tear it up. Good luck.
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

I'm curious if the bass are "football" shaped like most at Braunig. You can catch a 5 lb bass that isn't a keeper. Braunig's min is 21".
Aggie92

Fayette/Bastrop

Post by Aggie92 »

I fish Fayette about once a week from mid-October to early May for about the last nine years. Mostly from my bass boat but increasingly more from my Kayak the last 2 years. The fishing is still excellent during these months. It used to be awesome for schooling action from Late July through September but that action is hit and miss now. I have been focusing on Bastrop for schoolers lately and catching alot in the 1 to 2 pound range with usually 1 or more in the 3 plus range per trip. I caught my largest Schooler this summer at Bastrop from the yak last week. While paddling between spots I was trolling a small white grub on my ultra light with 4lb line and I heard the drag start zinging . I stop and lifted the rod, saw it jump and knew it was bigger. It took some playing to land on the light line but finally got it in and was about 21 inches, but kinda slender, estimate at about 5 lbs.

I have hit some schools at Fayette that have popped up consistently for an hour or more (previous years, not this year) in one spot that had an Average of 5lbs. It does not happen all the time and the action is very spotty now but if you luck out you can find them there and the schools will generally hold the same size fish, which can be very large at Fayette.