Colorado River Question

Peddle Power
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Colorado River Question

Post by Peddle Power »

Has anyone fished the Colorado River from Smithville to La Grange or any part of that area? I'm looking into fishing that are this fall or next spring and am looking for any advice you can offer. I floated part of that area 20 - 22 years ago and saw lots of large catfish laying up on the down stream side of the gravel bars.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

Tight Lines and Screaming Drags,
Outback Redneck
Cadiyak Sam
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Central Texas, Galveston// Manta Ray 11// Jackson CUDA// Team Turtle Head

Re: Colorado River Question

Post by Cadiyak Sam »

I've never fished that stretch but I fish further up the Colorado pretty regularly. There are some HUGE cats out there. I was out there last Friday and I counted 5 huge catfish sitting all in a row and those were just the ones that I saw. I'm going to do an overnight trip soon and put out lines with some chicken liver to see what I can get. I tried just about every lure I had and got the most response on a purple/black spinner and a little Rapala crank bait. They were blowing up on some top waters too. Good luck :D
Peddle Power
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Peddle Power »

Thanks Cadiyak Sam for the advice.

The time I floated down I would see the big cats in 3-4 foot of water and were basically pectoral fin to pectoral fin of the gravel bars. I estimated the weight of the largest to be in the 15-20 lb range.

When I get ready to make the trip I will hit you up and see if you want to go along.

Tight Lines and Screaming Drags,
Outback Redneck
Cadiyak Sam
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Central Texas, Galveston// Manta Ray 11// Jackson CUDA// Team Turtle Head

Post by Cadiyak Sam »

Cool I'll be around
GEOGEOFF

Post by GEOGEOFF »

Try buying frozen Mackerel at an Asia Market. Cut it up in chunks, catfish go stupid for it!