Christmas Bay 7/14

Post by yakoftheirish »

Time: 6:30 am - 2:00 pm
Launch: Ernie's
Tide: High
Water: Green/Muddy.. 6 in or less visibility
Bait: Gulp 3" Shrimp
Wind: 5 mph in the morning.. 15+ mph by noon S/SW

Put in at Ernie's today with another guy I met while buying shrimp this morning at the bait house. Paddled out to the marsh drains to attempt to catch some flounder or whatever else might be biting. Bite was rather slow for the first few hours, but hit patches of flounder close to 10:00 am. Fishing north side marsh drains and south side cuts along the channel yielded quite a few strikes. All of my flounder were undersized, but my new fishing pal caught 4 good sized flounder and a whale of a speck. We parted ways about 12:00 pm and I decided to paddle further down towards Cold Pass.. a decision I would live to regret. Storm began brewing to the east and the winds coming out of the south/southwest picked up to 15+ mph with gusts well into the 20 mph range. Paddled like a madman and felt as if I was gaining no ground. Finally made it back to Ernie's by 1:45-2:00 pm exhausted and in need of hydration. Although I didn't bring home any keepers today, I now know what a flounder strike is going to feel like and how to fan cast an area to target the little sneaks. I did however catch a toadfish that both disturbed me, and took the liberty of biting me as I removed the hook. Strange looking little creatures they are.
davewave12

Re: Christmas Bay 7/14

Post by davewave12 »

Bitten by a Toadfish!, You'd better seek medical help immediately!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
yakoftheirish

Post by yakoftheirish »

I barely made it out with my life :lol: :lol: If anyone/thing needs medical attention, it was that ugly thing. I had no idea what the heck that was when I pulled it out of the water.
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfpunk »

those things are water gremlins :wink:
BirdFoot17

Post by BirdFoot17 »

way to target those flounder. don't worry the bigger ones will come with time. :clap: