Kurt's popper works

Post by let's go »

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Kurt's popper works

Post by Ron Mc »

Very nice photo.
little poppers work great, especially in size 8 and 10 (stainless)
A buddy one day was walking back toward the boat unintentionally trolling his popper and caught a 23" red.
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

Scott - you using the VIP's anymore? I tied some a long time ago but never used them. Thinking of giving them a try again.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

I've still got a bunch and use them. But Kurt made this one for the fly swap and I figured I'd give it a shot.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

I want more photos! I never have cameras along when I need 'em. :lol:

That those balsa pops will catch fish isn't what I wonder about, I know they will. What I want to know is how they hold up, since I don't use those fancy popper hooks. I'm hard headed about using the easiest-to-get stuff.

That I need to go fly fishing for reds more often is another foregone conclusion..... :roll:
Sisco Kid

Post by Sisco Kid »

Say Scott were you using the TFO Mini Mag?
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

Kurt, the popper and hook still look like new. No issues.

Yep, loving the 6-8 Mini-Mag. Casts great up close and has enough muscle to get good distance. Very impressed.

Now I'm headed out in the morning to test the big brother 8-10 Mini-Mag on some medium sized poons and large snook. My buddy says he saw several 40"+ snook yesterday and swears he knows where there are a bunch of 100lb class tarpon just waiting for a fly...we'll see. Oh yeah, I'm in Florida right now...not Texas.
aggie182
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by aggie182 »

let's go wrote:Kurt, the popper and hook still look like new. No issues.

Yep, loving the 6-8 Mini-Mag. Casts great up close and has enough muscle to get good distance. Very impressed.

Now I'm headed out in the morning to test the big brother 8-10 Mini-Mag on some medium sized poons and large snook. My buddy says he saw several 40"+ snook yesterday and swears he knows where there are a bunch of 100lb class tarpon just waiting for a fly...we'll see. Oh yeah, I'm in Florida right now...not Texas.
Good luck with the trip. Hopefully you'll find the fish and post up some pictures for us to drool over.
flatzstalker

Post by flatzstalker »

Pogo wrote:I want more photos! I never have cameras along when I need 'em. :lol:

That those balsa pops will catch fish isn't what I wonder about, I know they will. What I want to know is how they hold up, since I don't use those fancy popper hooks. I'm hard headed about using the easiest-to-get stuff.

That I need to go fly fishing for reds more often is another foregone conclusion..... :roll:
Pogo, last friday i used your balsa popper for the first time as i was throwing at a crusing red this monster of a ladyfish blew up on it,well it preety muched ripped the skirt up so i pulled it off but continued to use it.i then waded up on a small pod of reds 4 or 5 and flung it in there.the first blow was missed but the second was not after fighting the fish it broke off .so i thought, i pulled in half a hook still tied on.i then found the head floating and picked it up im gonna cut a slot and retie it.the finish on those heads were awesome but maybe a little better hook would be better.thanks again for the popper
Attachments
PICT2035.JPG
PICT2034.JPG
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Thanks, flatz, that's what I was afraid of. I guess it would be just as well if I ordered some dedicated popper-making "humpy hooks" and try 'em on for size. I have been trying to avoid it because I really like the Gamakatsu's, such seriously nice hooks.

Heh, a 'monster of a ladyfish' sounds like fun! :lol: