Fly Fishing for carp.

Flyfisher87

Fly Fishing for carp.

Post by Flyfisher87 »

There is a place near I live where the carp are trapped between a damm and a dry spot in the creek. Have any of y'all fished for carp and have any tips?
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Fly Fishing for carp.

Post by Kayak Kid »

file a notch the length of a FRESH coffee bean. Glue a #6 or 8 hook shank into the notch. You will catch carp but you will need a fresh coffee bean fly for each fish, as they crush the bean when the take it.
Salsa

Post by Salsa »

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/The_Fly ... kid=496624" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I rented it, loved it. Lots of carp around us, too and since most of my fishing is catch n release I figured might as well go after these bruisers. in addition to the flies I hear balled up bread and bait they sell for carp works well.
post up if you get into em.
Salsa
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

When doing the coffee bean fly it helps to wrap thread on the hook shank before gluing the bean on. An easy way to put the hook notch in the bean is with a thin hacksaw blade.

The bean floats and you want to put it right on the fish's nose.

Also, check out Gartooth's site. He loves those goofy fish. Here's a pretty cool video he shot.

http://caseysmartt.com/2010/04/21/canyo ... motion-hd/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bboren
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by bboren »

Glad to see Carp like FRESH COFFEE too, we have something in common :lol: I never thought of using a coffee bean to fish with, does it work with any other species of fish, all, or none?
aggie182
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by aggie182 »

Aren't there some decent places around Houston to go after carp? If so, anyone care to share some locations? I feel like I remember reading about it a while back but don't remember if it was here or elsewhere.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Very cool video. I love the "stick in the mud" was used as a tripod.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

I haven't done it in a while, but pretty much any of the bayous will have carp. I used to go do it every once in a while when I needed a fly fishing fix and only had a couple hours. The scenery isn't the best and the water might stink a bit, but the carp get pretty dang big. I had several get into my backing and even lost a huge one when it straightened the hook.

My first excursion came about in a bit of an odd way. I was working a murder scene off the Gulf Fwy under the bridge over Braes Bayou. While waiting on the M.E. to get there I started noticing some huge carp feeding on the floating hyacinths in the bayou. Later that day I called Mark Marmon over at Angler's Edge. He had been trying to get me to go carp fishing in the bayous for a long time, but I had always resisted. I first had to admit to him that he may have been right all along before he would give me his secret fly recipe, the coffee bean. I tied a dozen on #10 dry fly hooks and went back to the murder scene a couple days later. Sure enough, the dang things ate the hell out of those beans and were fun to catch. The secret was waiting for some floating vegetation to come by and watch for the carp to rise up and nibble the edges then toss the bean right on their nose. It was as close to a sure thing as I could find. Every once in a while one of the fish mudding along the bank would eat, but it was real hit or miss.

Mark always told me the best time to go was when they were mowing. He said the carp go nuts over the grass clippings that fall in the water.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

I've been told that broadcasting corn (a slingshot was suggested) will draw them in, and I've chummed them up with range cubes before. I recall on Conroe we used to see the white amur (grass carp) cruising the banks in twos and threes during the fall, I always figured it was some sort of spawning ritual but never knew for sure. It sure made it easy to snag them. I'd put a 14/0 treble hook with the barbs ground off and needle points on my flipping stick and snag those big boys; a 20 or 30 pound grass carp, foul hooked, will provide a lot of entertainment.
Flyfisher87

Post by Flyfisher87 »

When I use dough bait I put vanilla in it. I wonder if you soak the beans in vanilla would that effect the bean?
aggie182
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by aggie182 »

We should have some kind of urban carp fishing gathering. Are they pretty abundant in all the bayous or more hit and miss?
Wildlifeman

Post by Wildlifeman »

When they are tailing they are a blast, everybit as tough as redfish. Here on the Llano in the potholes a crawfish pattern works surprisinly well.
carp.JPG
carp.JPG (99.68 KiB) Viewed 6361 times
crawfish.JPG
I am sure the technique will work anywhere. The pattern is squirrel hair divided. beadchain eye or 1/8 bead tied at the hook eye. On a size 6-8 mustad ss71 hook. Using a dubbing loop cut EP fibers 2 inches or solong and spin and wrap on hook. trim to a crawfish shape. Aleene's fabric finish added for the carapace.
ecofly
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by ecofly »

i have caught carp on a variety of streamers and some beatle patterns. typically, just cast past the carp and very slowly bounce it off the bottom to where it ends up right in front of their nose.
aggie-at george bush park there are lakes behind addicks dam. look on sat pics. i have caught some carp on the fly at the lake behind the dam at briar forest and hwy 6. caught largemouths and white bass there too. as for the carp- there are two lakes connected by a reedy high water trough. right now its probably dry. not the best fishing there by any means but if you grind it out you can catch fish. there is a shallow pond over the same briar forest area parking spot. that pond has more fish per gallon so to speak. but smaller. to find that pond take the dirt road over the dam and walk about a 1/2 mile in until you see paths to it on the right. if you bring a dog to these lakes be aware of gators.