Should I tip you guys off about

RPB
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Should I tip you guys off about

Post by RPB »

Should I tip you guys off about the INKS LAKE DRAW DOWN, or just keep it to myself as a secret? :mrgreen:

LCRA intends to begin lowering Inks Lake 8 feet beginning January 3, 2011 and refill it beginning Feb 10, 2011

The draining process will take about 4 days, after which (about Jan 7th) it will be at it's lowest scheduled level. The refill should also take about 4 days.

(Schedule subject to change if weather or power emergencies require a release of water from Buchanan for electricity generation)

P.S. Water released from Inks will travel through LBJ and Marble Falls, and captured in Lake Travis.
This will increase flow rates through both of LBJs and both of Marble Falls dams, (the upper dam at Travis.)

It is estimated that it will affect 5,000 acre feet of water from Buchanan when refilling, resulting in lowering Buchanan only about a half a foot/6".
W5CDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Should I tip you guys off about

Post by W5CDS »

Well, darn. That'll get LBJ all turned over & dirty, messing up my flyfishing. (Won't bother my yakkin', though, 'cause it's TOO DARNED COLD TO YAK! :x

Well, here it is, two days until Thanksgiving, and it's 68degF at 0800!!! So much for cold. :? Think I may just shut this 'puter down and go fishing!
COTA

Post by COTA »

Thanks for the info. Inks is about 75 minutes from me, but it's my favorite central-Texas lake to fish. I was hoping to do a little white bass fishing there in February. Maybe I'll stay around Stillhouse Hollow... about 5 minutes from home. January should be fun though!
RPB
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by RPB »

Also too .... for you guys DOWN in Austin ...

you know Lake Austin draw down is the same dates as Inks Lake .... starting today, it takes about 4 days to lower, Lake Austin will be lowered about 12 feet, for the next few weeks.
Salsa

Post by Salsa »

Besides water color changing, how do you think these drawdowns will effect the fishing? Will it pour more game fish into the river below the dam? Will it activate fish below the dam as it would when they are releaseing/generating? Will it turn off fish in the resevoir above the dam or consolidate because of the lowering water level?
I'm specifically interested in thoughts on Inks Lake, secondarily Buchanon, and their Stripers.
Also, I'm pretty new to Austin and would be glad to tag along on any of your outings.
Thanks guys,
Salsa
RPB
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by RPB »

just guessing that the flowing water will have fish swim upstream as in spawning behavior, until they run into a dam, so I'd try upper ends of lakes, below dams, rather than the lower ends, above dams.

I tried lower ends of lakes, above dams during drawdown releases before and found where fish are NOT. ... :lol: