Making a centerboard

OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Making a centerboard

Post by OrangeQuest »

After cruising across the bay for a few years now with just an umbrella I have started to build a centerboard and a mast with a real sail so I can take advantage of the wind. Most the time the wind is blowing but not always in the perfect direction. So a centerboard is going in. It's not very big, 17.5" x 4" at the tip, But I hope it will be enough for a little tacking against the wind. I tried taking a picture of the board and it's trunk but the cell phone sucks on detail. I'm hoping to be cutting a big gap in my hull in a few weeks.
Geminiwayz

Re: Making a centerboard

Post by Geminiwayz »

WOW! That sounds pretty cool letting the wind help out with the ride. I'm biting my nails for you cuttin' into the boat though. Let us know how it turns out!
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

Geminiwayz wrote:WOW! That sounds pretty cool letting the wind help out with the ride. I'm biting my nails for you cuttin' into the boat though. Let us know how it turns out!
If you see me looking for a new Hobie then it didn't work out! :? I was thinking that mounting the casement for the centerboard and the outer trim that will sandwich it to the hull will be the way to go. Then use my dremel to route out the opening, remove everything and then add sealer/glue to everything and bolt it all back in. I am already get scared thinking about it, flexing of the hull mostly. That's one of the reasons I'm making it so small and putting in between my four scuppers in the foot wells. Another thing is bungee cord doesn't hold up long to saltwater and exposure to the elements and making it where I can replace it easy is another concern. May just use a line to pull it down and another to pull it up but it still has to give if the centerboard hits something when down.

I still have the cutout when I installed my 8" hatch in the stern and I'm going to save as much of the plastic I can just in case I need to repair a long "gash" in my hull! :shock: :cry:
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

After spending the weekend at home I was able to do more on the centerboard project. The center board it self is 3/8" thick that I shaped like an air foil. Sanded everything smooth and coated it with fiberglass gel. Wet sanded back to smooth surface and going to paint it with epoxy paint for even more strength.
The trunk is being done the same way just can't put it together till I work out how it's going to be operated. I'm in no hurry to cut a big hole in my kayak.

While walking my dogs Sunday I stumbled across an electric scooter someone throw away. It needs a speed controller and 2 12 volt batteries to work.
The motor could be used on my R/C boat I'm thinking of building to run baits out in heavy surf and the 12.5" X 2.5" wheels could make a great kayak dolly.
I love to recycle! May just rebuild and use it to run errands close to home.It has turn signals, headlight, brake light and a horn that works.