Redfish with teeth ???

Chaz
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Redfish with teeth ???

Post by Chaz »

I ws fishing Powderhorn Lake today and caught a a redfish that had teeth! Found out when I trie to lip it ! There were 4 definite teeth on the upper jaw and about 6 on the bottom jaw. I tried to take a picture of it, as this red was a rat red so I could not keep it. Has anyone else ever seen this?
Queyak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Queyak »

Never heard of that before and I am not doubting you but are you sure it wasn't a snapper of some kind. Sorry, had to ask. Do you have pictures of it?
Drift fisher

Post by Drift fisher »

a red should not have any major teeth for it is primary a crustacean eater: - just needs the big crunchers. i would say it was a different fish, if not, congratulations on the find. definitely post pic if you have one.
Joe Guilbeau
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Joe Guilbeau »

Reds have plenty of teeth, they are mostly noticeable in the upper throat area, and are arranged in bands, kinda like cobblestones.

Now, these aren't Caninies lile the ole Yellow Mouth Trout, but they are teeth nonetheless, and Reds use them to crush crabs, mullosks etc...

Some Sheepshead Mutant thang!
Chaz
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chaz »

I am certain this was not a snapper, Queyak, but you ask a good question. The teeeth were smal and right up front. This red was about 18 inches long, possible that this is just an adolescent fish stage?
MouletteRouge

Post by MouletteRouge »

I nearly lost my thumbnail last year lipping a red about 28-30 inches...Lipped countless reds before, just this one I didn't support the body well enough and chomp, he locked down on me and I was definitely at his mercy...All the reds I've seen have teeth just slightly larger than a bass...but the pressure they can put down on one's finger is amazing...Needless to say I don't lip anymore...
rabbit
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by rabbit »

The last red I caught I was going to reach in and take the hook out. Bad idea. He started to clamp down on my fingers and I jerked my fingers out. But I was amazed at the pressure he was able to apply before I yank my fingers out. So now I will be using the pliers to unhook a red. :D
Fisherpup

Post by Fisherpup »

The other day we were fishing in Carancahua Cove and my buddy hooks into a nice red. When he gets it to the yak he's trying to figure out "how" to grab the fish and says "How should I grab him?"

I usually lip them so I say "Just lip him like a bass."

We lo and behold...Jeff lips the red and we take a quick pic. When he released the fish his thumb looked like a beaver got a hold of it. He actually bled from that......makes me think about lipping reds now. Particularly with all the Vibrio reports these days.
Coastal
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coastal »

A lot of the reds I catch have small "teeth". Some are more pronounced than others but they are there, just look inside the jaw. I have caught some where they were 1/8" long but most are shorter and less defined. They can scrape your finger when you unhook them but not as bad as a trout will. A scraped up palm at the base of my thumb is a real good thing, means I have been unhooking plenty of fish.

The best way to grab a redfish is across his back just behind his gills with your middle finger under the top of one gill plate and your thumb under the top of the other gill plate.
Joe Guilbeau
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Joe Guilbeau »

As Coastal mentioned... and turn 'em upside down to calm them a bit.

Being upside down evidently rocks their world!