piroue build question

daddyhoney

piroue build question

Post by daddyhoney »

I ordered three books as suggested to help with my build but only one has arrived which I read. Impatience has gotten the better of me and I started my three pannel s&g piroue after much reading here. I have cut, spliced, stitched and glued so far with good results. However the sides do not appear to be flaring out at the top as I thought they would. The boat is 13' on the bottom and 14' long at the top with a 26" beam. My question is how does one get the wider flair at the top than the bottom? I see "ribs" in photos of Uncle Johns pigours but not in others. Should i be using them to create this flair? Thanks Gary
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Re: piroue build question

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

The word your looking for is "Rocker" :wink: It's the front and rear rise of the bottom panel. Most Piroue's that total measurement is 1-1 1/2" and this will give you the flair on the side panels your looking for :D Most plans give you the measurements for this but you could just place temporary brace's accross the side panels to hold the amount of rocker you want on the boat or put some on for deck supports.

Mike
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

There are many without rocker and still get lots of flare. Some want the directionality produced by no rocker. Others want the extra turning ability of the rocker. The "flare" does not have to be part of rocker or no rocker. Since I have always purchased my boats already built, I cannot help on how to increase or decrease the flare. Due to where and how I use my boats, I like a flat bottom with a lot of bow flare.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

You get the flair from the shape of your panels. Cut an angle on each end of our side panels, spread them apart and you'll have flair. You will also have a lot of rocker...this means you also have to cut the bottom of the side panels to a certain shape as well to get a boat with no rocker. Flat bottom boats with no rocker, or alternatively, no cut away on each end, do not turn well at all.