Recommend a spot in Belize and/or Key West...

s1rGr1nG0

Recommend a spot in Belize and/or Key West...

Post by s1rGr1nG0 »

Well, my wife and I are waaay over due for vacation. We are looking for a trip to either Key West or perhaps Belize next March. I DEFINATELY want to do a day, (maybe 2 if I can squeeze it), of a guided fly fishing trip for bones, permit, etc...
I'll also need some night life and shopping for the little lady because there is no way she would let this be just a fishing trip for me! :lol:

Ok, TKF, I know you guys have been around so let's hear it. Also, links to resorts and guides would be great if you have them.
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Recommend a spot in Belize and/or Key West...

Post by Birdsnest »

I can't recommend Belize enough!

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... =1&t=96729" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Between those two, I'd agree with the Bird about Belize as the better of the two for a vacation. Key West is rediculously expensive and, while the bonefish are larger, there aren't nearly as many, and they seem to be very familiar with the difference between a tied fly and their normal fare.

Belize is easier to get to from Houston, and the accomodations are really lovely on Ambergris. Stay out of Belize City...........a real third world pit.
redfishgirl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by redfishgirl »

Not exactly a fishing trip, and I have never been but this is a place that I am definantly gonna get to one day http://www.cavesbranch.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buckeev
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Buckeev »

Belize is SPECTACULAR!!! The people on Ambegris Key were very friendly and the views are stunning. (Watch yourself in Belize City though...as KK said!)
You can get local guides, or even just fish right off the piers on the lee side of the reef. Grouper, Snapper, Barracuda, etc...... Make a lot of friends and give the locals your catch! If you dive, visibility underwater VERY good...We had nearly 200 foot visibilty, and it was stormy several days we there.

Good luck
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Give Alissa a call at El Pescador on Ambergris Cay, Belieze. Great place, easy to travel and, IMO, much more reasonable that Key West.
Attachments
El Pescador.JPG
Shell Pad

Post by Shell Pad »

I'll be in San Pedro, Belize tomorrow afternoon. My youngest son and daughter are taking me on a farewell tour. I've never caught a tarpon nor a bone fish. We plan on fishing friday. If it's good, we'll do the same on Saturday too. We'll return to the states on Sunday.

We'll take plenty of pictures.
tarponic

Post by tarponic »

I've been to both. Ambergris Caye in Belize is very cool but I like the Keys as well. If you haven't been to Belize, that would be my recommendation. Stay at Victoria House or El Pescador. I'm in the hotel business so I'd probably go with Victoria House even though El Pescador is a fishing lodge. Food at VH was great and it's very easy to get to town. El Pescador is a little bit of a hike in my opinion. VH is actually a very cool small hotel with villas. The bar is great. There are no buildings taller than four stories, no Starbucks, no McDonalds and most importantly NO CRUISE SHIPS. If you have to have those, then go to the Keys. We went into town on a Sunday night and drank beer with the locals at a soccer game. What a blast. I did two days of fly fishing for bonefish and it was awesome. You couldn't find a beer can or piece of trash on the water. The diving was easy and fun as well. Key West is fun but too touristy. Go to Belize.

Steve
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I second the Victoria House. IMO, the nicest stay in the entire country.