Wet Pop-up

LuketheDrifter

Wet Pop-up

Post by LuketheDrifter »

Well I got my Dads pop-up he no longer uses. It is in great condition but when I took it out last weekend I got wet. I was down at High Island and we got a couple inches of rain overnight.The camper got wet on the inside around the edges of the two beds on each end. I could not find a leak, it seemed as though the rain just seeped through the way cheap tents will do.I know the easy answer is to spray camp dry on it, but I would like to know if anyone has had the same experience and what you did to fix.
livetofish
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Wet Pop-up

Post by livetofish »

That is unusual. The pop-up tent cloth quality will easily keep heavy rain out.

But my guess is that water is running down around the support struts or one of the poles and coming in to pool around the beds. Was it windy? I have had water pushed in when it was windy and rainy. But never had leaks through the tent cloth.

LTF
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

I just bought a '75 pop-up for the deer lease (Thanks RedFishGirl!!) What year is yours??? Mine has cotton Canvas and the manufacturer (starcraft) recommended Scotch Guard instead of camp dry. even though it is 34 years old, most of the canvas on mine still repels water great. only the high wear areas are starting to soak up water. Was the canvas soaked through? if it was dry (as in not a darker color), then I bet LTF has the right idea.

The newer ones have an acrylic canvas and any silicone spray like camp dry will damage the canvas!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd suggest you call the mfgr and see what they recommend if you are wanting to refresh the waterproof coating.
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

The canvas over the beds on mine used to leak so I went to the RV supply place and they sold small spray cans of canvas treatment that were high dollar. So I went to Home Depot and got some Thompson's water guard and soaked them real good. It worked great and I never had them leak again.
livetofish
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by livetofish »

check with your manufacturer before you put anything on the fabric. I was explicitly told not to put anything on the fabric of my 2002 Coleman.

LTF
LuketheDrifter

Post by LuketheDrifter »

Thanks, I will call Jayco and see what they say. As I said it was my first time to take it out, so there is still a learning curve. Although now that I think about it, I did not cover the support poles with the vinyl covers. Maybe that was the cause.I will say this, even with the wetness, it was better than sleeping on the beach in a tent.