Wading vs. Kayaking

goodwood

Wading vs. Kayaking

Post by goodwood »

Is there any benefit to wading in comparison to kayaking other than not having to load and unload a plastic boat?

mobility/not having to swim to a spot- yak
saftey/undertow/waves/shark/stingray/holes/oysters- yak
dryness- yak
storage/gear/not having to hang everything on your body- yak
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Wading vs. Kayaking

Post by Night Wing »

One thing about yakking. You never have to worry about getting hit by a stingray. :D
Last edited by Night Wing on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RATHERbFISHIN

Post by RATHERbFISHIN »

Nope.........looks like you covered it all
Frreed

Post by Frreed »

I fly fish most of the time and it easier to get good casts while standing. I do fish in the kayak often, but it is much more common for me to paddle to a "fishy" spot and wade.
Etxflybass

Post by Etxflybass »

Im with Frreed above.
I paddle to get away from the crowds or to find some bait moving and then get out and wade.
If I find active fish I will stay put for a while and blind cast. If it dies off, I get back in and paddle somewhere else.
The only times I dont wade are when it is too muddy or the action is in too deep water to wade.

I dont mind drift fishing from a seated position, but I get bored this way quick. I'll sight cast from the seated position if I have to, but this is never the most confortable and I usually end up cussing because Im trying to maneuver just right and the wind or current will be moving me. This is why I prefer short yaks....they are easier to position before and immediately after a cast.

There are a lot of threats hidden beneath the water, but people have been wading for generations. Wear proper foot wear and wade with a buddy until you learn what you are doing and you will be fine.
Justin T

Post by Justin T »

It is easier for me to cash while wading. And I can see better while wading too. It's harder for me to see fish while sitting in my kayak. Much easier to see while standing. Now if you have a kayak stable enough to stand in, then you have the best of both worlds.
Ms addicted
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ms addicted »

Simple:

kayaking = option to wade

wading = no option to kayak
Kingz
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Kingz »

goodwood wrote:Is there any benefit to wading in comparison to kayaking...
Nope...Why stand when you can sit?
5moreminutes
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by 5moreminutes »

You would look funny crab walking if you didn't have a kayak under your BUTT!
Flyfisher
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flyfisher »

I hate wading through deep mud (deep to me is anything over a foot :lol: ). The yak solves the problem.

Ray
CzechTex_Angler

Post by CzechTex_Angler »

Look at it this way, Wade fishing is free, theres got to be a reason your a Kayak owner on a Kayak forum. :wink:
Sugar Jay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Sugar Jay »

For me the yak is the transportation to the fishing, my first instinct is to get out and wade once I have located where I want to cast. So much easier to cast where you want on foot and not have to fight wind, current, lack of mobility once your anchored. In the yak you have to pull anchor, paddle/drift reanchor, which is ok if your going somewhere but when all you need is a few feet it is much easier to stalk a red once you know where they are by foot, however finding where they are you usually need the boat, but it has been said you can do both and wading is free so why debate.
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

I will offer this - there is something to be said for grabbing a couple of lures, two fishing poles, a hand net, a hat and heading out to the water. I can do that wade fishing, and be pretty happy.

I prefer the mobility of the yak, and have found I do like fishing out of it more than I though I would - always thought I would use it as a means to get to otherwise unavailable places - and now rarely think about hitting water without the little yellow boat strapped to the top of the Escape.
Texas Wader
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Texas Wader »

my yak is a taxi to my wade spot. wading gets you in touch with the area. you find all the sand spots, grass spots, shell, guts, depressions etc. you can't find these areas floating on top of water. if you don't know the area you are just blindcasting and hoping. why do you think the majority of top guides prefer to wade and encourage their clients to wade?
ron
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

it helps the vertically challenged get past deeper water..and guts.. :lol:
BigGabe63
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by BigGabe63 »

vincent wrote:it helps the vertically challenged get past deeper water..and guts.. :lol:
It also hopes the weight challenged get past muddy areas which would have us sinking a couple of feet. :lol: :lol:
Green Water

Post by Green Water »

vincent wrote:it helps the vertically challenged get past deeper water..and guts.. :lol:
X2!! :)
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

When I first started kayaking, I used my kayak to get me to where I wanted to wadefish. But after a few seasons of kayak fishing, I found I prefer to fish from the yak. I seldom wade fish anymore. I found I am more mobile and more quiet in the yak than on foot. Plus when in a seated position, the fish don't see you until you are on top of them. At 6'4", they can see me way off if I am even wading knee deep water.
harv418
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by harv418 »

I think it all comes down to what you want to do... Cover Water or completely work a particular spot.

Kayaks allow you mobility limited only by yourself and time. You can cover alot of water (>10 miles in a day.), BUT can you really work an area over in a kayak? I know it is more beneficial for me to get out and wade and area, than to try to cover it in the yak.

So I do a little of everything. Kayak to cover water, and when I find a better spot, I'll get out and stalk it...
Sugar Jay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Sugar Jay »

harv418 wrote:I think it all comes down to what you want to do... Cover Water or completely work a particular spot.

Kayaks allow you mobility limited only by yourself and time. You can cover alot of water (>10 miles in a day.), BUT can you really work an area over in a kayak? I know it is more beneficial for me to get out and wade and area, than to try to cover it in the yak.

So I do a little of everything. Kayak to cover water, and when I find a better spot, I'll get out and stalk it...
Well said Sir, well said!
W5CDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by W5CDS »

BigGabe63 wrote:
It also hopes the weight challenged get past muddy areas which would have us sinking a couple of feet. :lol: :lol:

You guys have been watching me! Guilty on BOTH counts! :lol:
mojosoul
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by mojosoul »

Sugar Jay wrote:
harv418 wrote:I think it all comes down to what you want to do... Cover Water or completely work a particular spot.

Well said Sir, well said!
Dats wha I do to
4x4kayak2112
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by 4x4kayak2112 »

Ms addicted wrote:Simple:

kayaking = option to wade

wading = no option to kayak
pretty much, just expands the areas you CAN fish/wade

plus isnt having a kayak sooo cool, i was the ONLY one in high school that had a kayak and a motorcycle....but no car!!!!!
Sugar Jay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Sugar Jay »

4x4kayak2112 wrote:
plus isnt having a kayak sooo cool, i was the ONLY one in high school that had a kayak and a motorcycle....but no car!!!!!
So how did that work? You threw the yak in the side car and off you went?