at what angles do fish hit lures

Liquid

at what angles do fish hit lures

Post by Liquid »

At what angles do the the following fish usually hit lures?

Redfish - Trout - Flounder

Top water - Midwater - close to bottom or on the bottom

Do they hit from the side, from the rear, straight up, straight down(?) ?
FISH4EVER
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: at what angles do fish hit lures

Post by FISH4EVER »

I can tell you redfish have a small cone of vision, I seen an article last year about redfish swimming on their side to hit tops, that was crap, I got to see one this year 5' in front of my face, I would not like to be a shrimp living in the Gulf. So different angles can play a big role in a red seeing an pursuing said lure.....Hope this helps........Steve

I can tell you this if you are looking for a secret approach I found it this year, it is simple get out there and dont giveup!

Location, Location, Location! forgot one Listen always Listen!
slowride
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by slowride »

D. all of the above
Chaz
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chaz »

Hard question!
The redfish I've seen hitting the lure had the lure in front of them and maybe a little above.
I've never seen a flounder strike a lure or bait to know exactly what it looks like.
Trout seem to have a larger field of vision and apear to attack from any angle - I had one do flips over a topwater a couple of months ago and on one flip it looked like he came DOWN on the topwater.

I've seen barracuda strike before and they do have a wide range of vision. I used to pull old propeller baits across a boat channel where a big 'cuda hung out just to see him zip out like a missle and hit the lure. I always got cut off but it was exciting.
FISH4EVER
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by FISH4EVER »

Chaz wrote:Hard question!
The redfish I've seen hitting the lure had the lure in front of them and maybe a little above.
I've never seen a flounder strike a lure or bait to know exactly what it looks like.
Trout seem to have a larger field of vision and apear to attack from any angle - I had one do flips over a topwater a couple of months ago and on one flip it looked like he came DOWN on the topwater.

I've seen barracuda strike before and they do have a wide range of vision. I used to pull old propeller baits across a boat channel where a big 'cuda hung out just to see him zip out like a missle and hit the lure. I always got cut off but it was exciting.
Time to break out the Coffee colored rigging wire, barracuda are a blast!.........Steve
5moreminutes
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by 5moreminutes »

I think these fish do whatever they want. You just have to override their thinking ability to get them to go on their instinct.
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

>>I seen an article last year about redfish swimming on their side to hit tops, that was crap, I got to see one this year 5' in front of my face<<<

I didn't understand what you wrote above.

The one you saw hit the lure 5 feet in front of you, how did it hit the lure?
OlSalty

Post by OlSalty »

They always strike in an angle towards their target. :shock:
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Back to the flounder question part. Has anyone seen a flounder hit top water? I was fishing the grass line in about three feet of water when a brownish blur hit and rolled on the bone jr. I was not expecting a hit there and only got a glimps of the fish... Not enought to say it was a flounder, but I had caught an 18 inch flounder very close to that spot the day before and released it. The flounder i caught the day before was on a DOA gold shrimp not top water... Anyway just wondering out loud... that would be "wol".

Thanks for any help. I know Dean will have some thing to say.
Chaz
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chaz »

Thinwater skinner wrote:Back to the flounder question part. Has anyone seen a flounder hit top water? I was fishing the grass line in about three feet of water when a brownish blur hit and rolled on the bone jr. I was not expecting a hit there and only got a glimps of the fish... Not enought to say it was a flounder, but I had caught an 18 inch flounder very close to that spot the day before and released it. The flounder i caught the day before was on a DOA gold shrimp not top water... Anyway just wondering out loud... that would be "wol".

Thanks for any help. I know Dean will have some thing to say.
yup - had a big flounder hit a topwater at the small jetties at poc - he wasn't subtle and hooked himself -scared the poo out of me - but he sure ate good
picaroon
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by picaroon »

I think that reds have a super sensitive lateral line and can/will strike a lure from almost any angle. Others say that they have poor eye site. I do not believe this. Last year I was at the end of a sand bar that was about 200' long. I cast a spoon fly as far as I could down the sand bar towards a red.(70') and he ran very fast from a distance of at least 40' and took the fly. In the grass at the Hole, fishing small copper poppers, I have cast in back of them and had them turn and take the popper. One I was about 5' from at the time. Look at the palm of your hand and close your fist as fast as you can. That is what that red did, a 180 degree turn with its body..................

We fished a shoreline Monday at Pringle. There was a red every 50' for about a mile, mostly rat reds. The guy I was with was making good casts and most simply would not take. In October they will take anything you throw within 50' of them.................last fall on clear white sand I looked down and saw a red about 6' away. I had my spoon fly out about 40' and slowely raised the rod tip and brought the fly to the fish. He saw the fly and then saw me and spooked. He swam of at least 50' and did a 180 degree turn and came back directly to me..............and took the fly

I think it boils down to are they there and are they hungry and what lure are you using. There is no substitute for experience.............go fishing and learn your craft........
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

I'm with Dean on this one. I've seen fish hit lures from every direction including reds that come out of the water and pounce on top of topwaters. I believe you're thinking about it too hard. Like picaroon said, the mood of the fish matters more than most other factors.
goodwood

Post by goodwood »

fishing on a pier with green lights in the water I've seen trout hit lures from all angles.