Targeting jacks in the surf? Anybody got any pointers?

Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Targeting jacks in the surf? Anybody got any pointers?

Post by Finn Maccumhail »

As you can see here: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 0&t=126986

I'm looking to target jacks in the surf and I've heard that they come in close in the fall. Does anybody have any pointers as to what I should be looking for or how to recognize where the jacks are running? Is the Galveston/Surfside area good for targeting jacks or do I need to try to head elsewhere?

Thanks,
Finn
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Targeting jacks in the surf? Anybody got any pointers?

Post by Milkjug »

I see them often swimming in big schools just under the surface. Cast anything to them and they will hit it. For good fun, take the hooks off of a bigger topwater and watch them crash it repeatedly. They will even pull drag before they let it go.

I have also caught them blind by trolling near the jetty. Try trolling a diving rapala type plug (I replace the trebels with circle hooks), and keep your eye out for schools roving around near the surface. Also look for terrified large bait, but I've never seen them doing this personally.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

Watch for birds in the surf!!!! This time of year it is going to be jacks or smacks busting the bait in the surf.

Anything will get hits. I like spoons because I can cast them far but I have also caught on shadtail plastics and topwaters.
Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Finn Maccumhail »

How close to the beach will they get? I've never done the BTB thing and was hoping to target them on the fly with a 10wt rig, sink-tip line, and big streamers.

And thanks for the info guys.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

They will come right up to the sand if there is bait. They seriously can be loaded up in the wade gut.

They are a common catch on the fly at PINS this time of the year.
OlSalty

Post by OlSalty »

There are several jacks out there but there is one bugger out there you'll have trouble with, it's the one they refer to in, jack be nimble, jack be quick, jack jumped over the.... I know he exists because they got a pic in a book ;)
canoe nut

Post by canoe nut »

I nailed a big Jack on my fly rod in the surf a month or so ago. I was at the 2nd bar and made a quick short cast at something busting bait, bam, Jack on. They are up close if the bait fish are up close.