Selway 17' sit on kayak

Cut N Shoot

Selway 17' sit on kayak

Post by Cut N Shoot »

http://www.selway-fisher.com/Kayak.htm#SITON" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I bought the plans for this one and and thought I would throw it up here for any comments suggestions changes or what ever someone wants to say add good or bad just for the discussion. You have to scroll almost to the bottom of the page to see it. Everyone is welcome is to chine in. The drawings don't show much especially for me since I don't see the waterline and don't really know how to read em. should be here with an additional pierogue plan any day now. I'm Wearing the lock out on the PO Box. hope it gets here soon. :mrgreen:
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Selway 17' sit on kayak

Post by Night Wing »

You're right. The drawings don't show much. However, the weight of 65 pounds in the specs is a lot of weight. Wish there was a 15' yak instead of the 17' one. It would weigh much less.
Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

Yep your right Night wing . 65 lbs and 17 foot long would be a bear to handle. I'm going to try and lighten it up with foam cores inside or which ever is lighter. Maybe i can cut the weight down. The kind of fishin i do I'll have a trailer so the weight to load and unload is really no problem paddlin is a different story though I bet. What do most plastic boats weigh that size or say 16 even?
Jerry-rigged
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry-rigged »

17'x33"... That is a big boat...

Are you wanting to build it as a tandem?
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

For my part, I wouldn't have anything to say in light of the fact that you have ideas that are -- and I'm getting to hate the phrase -- "outside the box". You're talking about keeping weight down with foam cores, and I've seen you bring it up before. Well, all I can say is I'm starting to get pretty excited to see what in the world you come up with. I wish you all the best, and please do keep us posted! :D
Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

Pogo I'm excited too. Burt Rutan the feller that made the Voyager the Beech Starship the Long easy and the very easy aircraft, also is one of the designers for the space ship/ plane that fly's to outer space the first to do it I believe. Anyway that's another story but all his designs that I am aware of are made with composite foam. They are some of the safest planes in the air. To make a long story short .You can glass a tail section or wing panel set it up on blocks and two 200 pound guys can jump up and down on it. Very strong light weight stuff. Actually the whole boat could be made of it using ridged foam same as wood. In my case just the interior for now. It can also be made into any shape like an oval bait tank and it would be insulated to start, milk crate with built in rod holders,ice chest,cock pits,comings,consoles, foot rest,boats, pontoons,on and on.
Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

Oh and I forgot. It would be perfect for makin scupper holes that you could stick your stake threw without worrying about it breaking the plastic. To make a tube you would use regular styro foam. Make a form. Two circles of ply sanded on the edges. stick one on each side of a block of foam on the same axis. Take a battery charger and make a hot wire between to 2x4's turn it on .The stainless wire will get hot .Slice down threw the foam to the plywood. Then go around following the discs. When done you have a cylinder cut smooth. Rap the cylinder with epoxy and cloth let it set dry then pour acetone in the end and melt the foam from the center. Wala glass tube for scupper ready to glass in the bottom. Anyone needing more info on making shapes like tanks or strange shapes email me and I'll send you a phone number. Rick
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Rick, like I said, I'm getting excited to see what you come up with. I know very well who Burt Rutan is, and what he has been doing since the mid-to-late 70's. I know a little bit about foam core composite construction as a modern aircraft building technique, but only a little bit (I've been a subscriber to Flying magazine since 1973). I also worked in a Pearson Yachts manufactory back in my earlier times, and got a real good look at how balsa wood core construction is used in certain strategic locations on 26- to 36-foot commercial fiberglass sailboats. I've also "autopsied" a Boston Whaler, and know first-hand how they're made . . . speaking of foam cores.

So keep it coming, amigo -- I can personally guarantee you there's at least one boat builder on this forum who's intensely interested in noting your progress, and very much inclined to appreciate the directions you're taking off in. I love the "lost foam" technique for making scuppers! 8)
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

I have done a lot of playing with foam ,in commercial apps and hobby.
In airplanes back to the kr1 it has worked out well.
In small craft it will work but isnt as durable as wood ,foam will not take a lick like wood ,it dents
and doesnt spring back.
:dance: :dance:
Pogo I got to do it
Its the lost wax process not lost foam :D
In my little pointed head you could build a craft out of foam ,but bye the time you brace it to take the abuse it would be heavier than wood.
Planes have a completely different need for strength and different stresses. Not a real good comparision,when I was flying the sort of frowned on hitting stuff .
Ron
Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

Yep your right about it not being as tough but it has it places to be. Like inside where there is not much stress. I wouldn't put it on the bottom at all except for certain kind of boats. They use foam on big boats as a sand witch but they don't run em in the river. For bulkheads and that sort of thing it should work well.
Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

Jerry Rigged I want to make it either or. I think it would haul a lot of stuff.
Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

Jerry Rigged it will also have a live well.
Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

Round Well at least i thought I bought the plans. Decided to check the bank and found out they didn't get the money. :oops: Okay I'll go again and at least this time they got paid. LOL! Now waiting on plans again. :roll: MY FAULT!!
Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

Wahooooooooooo! Plans are on the plane. Now where in the heck am I gona build it. No room in the shop. At the ranch maybe out behind the house. Build outside under giant tarp. :lol:
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Cut N Shoot wrote:Build outside under giant tarp. :lol:
Ah yes, the joys of open air building. Listen to the birds sing, wave to the mailman. I've never had a real shop, all the stuff I've ever built (at home) has been under a carport. I believe Ron builds his boats under a tarp in the backyard.

Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

Pogo I have some 1 inch cold roll tubing down at the ranch and I'm thinking of welding up a tent frame. Probably never use it for anything else but maybe a gate. I have a carport here at the house but it's to close t the hwy .Too many people want to know what your doin out there. NOSEY! Nosiest people I have ever been in contact with. I have my stealth ideas and don't want em pokin around. Down at the ranch I can have my area 51!! :wink:
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Why don't you just Cut N Shoot 'em when they stick their danged noses where they don't belong? :D
Last edited by Pogo on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

Well I almost got arrested for that :roll: just had the shot gun in my truck. They dropped the charges. It seems like any crack head can say you pulled a gun on em and they can write you a ticket which is a misdemeanor. I got an attorney and they dropped the charges. :mrgreen:
Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

Still waitin on the plans. Man Oh Man!! Got a huntin bow done though will I was waitin. Well I say done I have to sand it and put on the finish.
Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

I got the plans today. This if going to be hard to figure out, but I'm studyin. I have to break it all down to inches. I have the bow I was working on sanded and I'm going to stain and and put the epoxy finish on it and then start on the boats. I'm going to do the peerow first to get back used to applying glass and learning how to read these prints. :dance: