Need Some advice please

GRR

Need Some advice please

Post by GRR »

OK. I have just acquired an Abu Ambassador 5000. I have never had a bait caster reel and am having a very hard time not getting backlash. Also when I cast it my line winds up on the left hand side of me. It is very aggravating and I don’t want to give up so can some one give me some pointers. I have the reel set to where the weight will drop free spool to the ground in about 8 seconds (very slow).

HELP PLEASE

Thanks
Guy
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Re: Need Some advice please

Post by GoinCoastal »

Does it stop when it hits the floor or does the reel over spin any?

It sounds to me that it is adjusted to loose still. When I use to adjust mine, I would have to bounce the lure just a hair to start the drop and the very second it touches the ground, the spool should stop.

You're best bet is to bring it to Hunt's Icehouse Friday evening and one of us can show you how to adjust it and cast it. Bring a dummy lure or casting weight.
GRR

Post by GRR »

[quote="GoinCoastal"]Does it stop when it hits the floor or does the reel over spin any?

I would have to bounce the lure just a hair to start the drop and the very second it touches the ground, the spool should stop.

Sounds like it is set up like you have suggested
Motley
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Motley »

I would sell the Abu Ambassador and go buy me a Citica or Curado and adjusts the weights to where they are all pushed in :wink: ... if not follow the above advise (you can also use your thumb as a guide as well)
GRR

Post by GRR »

I have the back lash resolved. Why is the Line casting in front and across me to the left. I am using a 1 oz weight for practice casting. I can pin point cast with my open face but have no luck with the ABU. :? :? :? :?
Motley
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Motley »

It sounds like you may be over compensating to prevent a backlash... Just keep practicing! You'll get it :D
chavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by chavez »

Unfortunately I am not to familiar with the Abu 5000 but more with the Shimano Curado low profile style and Shimano Culcutta round baitcasters. Both require you to pull or push in weights to control the initial spinning of the spool with the inertia from the cast. You then have a cast control knob (usually on the same side as the drag adjustment and handle which is meant to slow down the spool after the cast. I wonder if the weights are all off even though the cast control is set OK. And so if you attempt a hard cast at the start, you over spin the spool. Also, if you are right handed, it sounds like you are breaking the wrist to the left as you cast.

If anyone can advise on adjusting the initial spool spin (as opposed to the cast control), I think this will help your situation. As for breaking left, try not to hook the cast and instead try more of and down then up and forward cast (overhead cast) and see if that helps. Strangely enough, I started and fished with a spinning rod for the longest time and after using the baitcaster, I found I was way more accurate with it once you got the whole thumb control thing down.

Good luck!
GRR

Post by GRR »

chavez wrote:Unfortunately I am not to familiar with the Abu 5000 but more with the Shimano Curado low profile style and Shimano Culcutta round baitcasters. Both require you to pull or push in weights to control the initial spinning of the spool with the inertia from the cast. You then have a cast control knob (usually on the same side as the drag adjustment and handle which is meant to slow down the spool after the cast. I wonder if the weights are all off even though the cast control is set OK. And so if you attempt a hard cast at the start, you over spin the spool. Also, if you are right handed, it sounds like you are breaking the wrist to the left as you cast.

If anyone can advise on adjusting the initial spool spin (as opposed to the cast control), I think this will help your situation. As for breaking left, try not to hook the cast and instead try more of and down then up and forward cast (overhead cast) and see if that helps. Strangely enough, I started and fished with a spinning rod for the longest time and after using the baitcaster, I found I was way more accurate with it once you got the whole thumb control thing down.

Good luck!

Spin Controle is good it is just the cutting to the left I am having issues with..

Thanks I will keep on Keeping on and see if I can figure out what I am doing wrong.

Thanks
Jay61
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jay61 »

Hang in there GRR. I learned on the 5000 about 40 years ago and it's all about practice. I like to use a rod with a "whippy" tip when casting the 5000. It allows me to use the tip to cast instead of rearing back and making big arching casts. Sounds like you may be sidearming your casts a little. I'm with Joe...come to the happy hour and we can stand out in the parking lot and cast at beer bottles. :D
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

The 5000 is OLD SCHOOL. There are no magnets to adjust. There are clutches but no magnets like on the Shimanos.

Bring it to Hunts!!! I haven't casted a 5000 in years but I bet I can get it back it few attempts. i learned on a 5000 myself 40 years ago.
GRR

Post by GRR »

GoinCoastal wrote:The 5000 is OLD SCHOOL. There are no magnets to adjust. There are clutches but no magnets like on the Shimanos.

Bring it to Hunts!!! I haven't casted a 5000 in years but I bet I can get it back it few attempts. i learned on a 5000 myself 40 years ago.
I work 3 blocks away from Hunts. I reside in Leander and the sad part is I get off work @ 2pm. You guys are not going to be @ hunts till around 5pm, What to do for 3 hrs. :? :? :? I will try to make it. In 3 hrs I could get in LOTS of trouble. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jay61
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jay61 »

And what's wrong with trouble? What do you think is gonna happen when we get there? :lol:

Go spend some money at Austin Kayak. You can definitely kill some time in there.
GRR

Post by GRR »

Jay61 wrote:
Go spend some money at Austin Kayak.

Jay61 :lol: :lol: I have done nothing to you an yet you are looking to inflict a type of pain on me that no man should have inflicted on him..after all I am married with children :lol: :lol:
Motley
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Motley »

I'm married with children as well.... never stop me :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
GRR

Post by GRR »

Jay61

I placed a 1.5 oz weight on the line for practice and it solved the issue. Thanks for the advice

It was nice to be able to put a face with the names. Had a good time sory I had to leave in such a hurry.

Thanks Guy

GRR
Motley
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Motley »

hey bud, anytime you want to practice.... lemme know! We are close enough to get this goin!!! :D