Harbor Freight punch set for $3.99, make your own poppers!

s1rGr1nG0

Harbor Freight punch set for $3.99, make your own poppers!

Post by s1rGr1nG0 »

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. As some of you are aware you can make foam popper bodies from flip flops. Well, I went to Harbor Freight today and bought a 9 piece punch set for $3.99!! It has the sizes, 3/32, 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, and 1/2.
I just made about 10 bodies in about 2 minutes. Just set the flip flop on a pice of wood, line up the punch and WHAM...instant popper body! I bought the flip flops at Hobby Lobby for $1.99 a pair. Now I have plenty of foam to make a lifetime supply of popper bodies!
Yakn1

punches

Post by Yakn1 »

What kind of punches are we talking about? Can you post a pic?
s1rGr1nG0

Re: punches

Post by s1rGr1nG0 »

Yakn1 wrote:What kind of punches are we talking about? Can you post a pic?
This is the set I'm talking about
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=3838
The price shows as $4.99 but when I paid for mine it was $3.99
Drmsfish

punch

Post by Drmsfish »

I have seen people take a 270 or 30.06 casing and create a window in the side . This allows you to punch out a popper body using the casing and remove it laterally thru the window you cut. I went thru the round popper stage years ago but reserve their use mostly for calm days often freshwater as the VIP design (www.lagunamadre.net) by Capt Scott Sparrow is easier to cast in the wind.
Tight lines,
Matt
Barry's Dad

Shoeflies

Post by Barry's Dad »

Howdy Mr GO
You missed the part of finding used Flip Flops to make your shoefly poppers. This does several things. One it cleans up the waterways of old flip flop missing a mate. Or if you are lucky finding a pair. Twice as many bodies. Second is the effect of the popper in the water. The smell of the beach or area that you found them in is a natural smell. This helps make the popper work. No it is not just smelly feet.
So watch for the body material as you fish. Return in a day or two with poppers that are scented to match that water for bigger fish.

ol Al
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

At the beginning of fall the dollar stores put flip flops on clearance for $.50 - $.88 a pair. I have a whole tub full.
wajdi

Post by wajdi »

You can grab a bucked of beach sand from where you prefer to fish, run a handful of shrimp thru a blender, mix the shrimp goo with the sand and bury your store-bought flops in the bucket for a week or so, letting the bucket sit in the sun. Flavored flops, and, I promise, your wife won't wear 'em.
Barry's Dad

popper bodies

Post by Barry's Dad »

howdy
I liked that. If you buy then the big ones are the same price as little ones and give you more bodies. Of course you could just ware them for the day your are getting your sand.....

ol Al
Turner

Re:

Post by Turner »

wajdi wrote:You can grab a bucked of beach sand from where you prefer to fish, run a handful of shrimp thru a blender, mix the shrimp goo with the sand and bury your store-bought flops in the bucket for a week or so, letting the bucket sit in the sun. Flavored flops, and, I promise, your wife won't wear 'em.
LMAO!!! :lol: :clap: :lol: :lol: