Granger at wma next week?

johngoes

Granger at wma next week?

Post by johngoes »

I'm off next week, courtesy of economy. I've been itching to drop my kayak in Granger wma put-in and see if I can catch some of these Whites I've always heard about.

Anyway, I'm heading out there at least one day of the week and was wondering if anyone wanted to partner up to see if the whites are running.

Part 2 - I've never tried fishing a white run before - I'm thinking to bring my ultralight spinning rig, 3 lb test with lots of jigs and minnow-looking lures. Is that the right recipe for whites?

Thanks,

John
Cedar Park
YaknAustin
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by YaknAustin »

Good luck out there! I'm not sure of the exact spot your referring to but there's no water in the San Gabriel and the white action has been pretty dismal. :cry:

Look forward to your report.
CJA

Post by CJA »

There's plenty of water in the San Gabe, but the fishing has been slow.
johngoes

Post by johngoes »

Maybe they haven't warmed up to the run yet - but then again the drought could be having an effect.

San Gabriel runs into one arm of Lake Granger. There's a Wildlife Management Area small boat put-in - it's only suitable for canoes and kayaks because it's steep and has no ramp, just a 4x4 set of steps leading to the water. You can see it on the map in the austin paddling maps link:

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... php?t=9645

Take a right on CR 347 off of SH95. A lot of folks park and walk down "The Steps" to fish the river. You can't miss that cause they've worn the side of the road out parking there. Drive further until 347 T's and turn right and drive to the river. I've put in in the WMA area once with my wife - wasn't fishing then; just paddling - and thought it looked like a good place to catch some fish. There was water then 'cause it's the upper end of the lake. I expect there'll be water there tomorrow too.

Anyway, I'm planning to head out there tomorrow to give it a go. After lunch today I'll hit BCL just to get my first paddling in this year.

John
YaknAustin
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by YaknAustin »

johngoes wrote:Maybe they haven't warmed up to the run yet - but then again the drought could be having an effect.

San Gabriel runs into one arm of Lake Granger. There's a Wildlife Management Area small boat put-in - it's only suitable for canoes and kayaks because it's steep and has no ramp, just a 4x4 set of steps leading to the water. You can see it on the map in the austin paddling maps link:

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... php?t=9645

Take a right on CR 347 off of SH95. A lot of folks park and walk down "The Steps" to fish the river. You can't miss that cause they've worn the side of the road out parking there. Drive further until 347 T's and turn right and drive to the river. I've put in in the WMA area once with my wife - wasn't fishing then; just paddling - and thought it looked like a good place to catch some fish. There was water then 'cause it's the upper end of the lake. I expect there'll be water there tomorrow too.

Anyway, I'm planning to head out there tomorrow to give it a go. After lunch today I'll hit BCL just to get my first paddling in this year.

John
Got it!
I know that area but didn't refer to it as WMA. We always called it the primitive launch.
johngoes

Post by johngoes »

Aha! Learn something new every day! I'm goin' fishin' at the primative launch tomorrow!

If I wasn't so impatient I'd wait until Wed or Thu to give the 80 degree forecast a chance to warm the white's hearts.