Annual Fly Class CANCELED Feb 6 and 7

Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Annual Fly Class CANCELED Feb 6 and 7

Post by Birdsnest »

CLASS CANCELED DUE TO WEATHER (Winds are forecast for 20-30mph.) Class will be rescheduled for March sometime. Keep an eye out for a new post for details!

It's that time of year ladies and gents. The best fly fishing instruction at the best price. The "Good Doctor" Bill Harvey AKA The Wizard will be hosting a fly casting class in AP/Ingleside on Feb 6th and 7th. Class cost is $125.00 and is limited to six participants.

SCHEDULE:

Arrive Friday the 6th, afternoon class starts around 2pm for 4 hours of instruction with The Wizard.

Saturday is a full day usually 9am to 5pm.

After class concludes Saturday we usually do dinner as a group somewhere.

Sunday; if you have the time, kayak, and inclination (and weather permitting) we usually try to hit the salt for some actual fly fishing.

This is hands down some of the best instruction offered. I just wish we could get Bill to do it more than once a year! So, if your cast needs some patch work, or you just want to add that extra ten feet with precision, sign up and come on down. It is always a great time.

We will sign up 6 and keep 2 alternates in case of cancellation.

PM me for payment details. Post below to get added to the list. First come first serve.[/b]
Last edited by Birdsnest on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Birdsnest »

1. Birdsnest
2. Vincent
4. Arnulfo Curiel
5. Pogo :D
6. Rayb

Alternates:
Last edited by Birdsnest on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 7 times in total.
bk9824

Post by bk9824 »

I'd be in but work and other commitments call...

lucky bunch you are
JJT

Post by JJT »

is this limited to those with experience? Or may beginners attend? If beginners are allowed, I would be interested.
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Birdsnest »

JJT wrote:is this limited to those with experience? Or may beginners attend? If beginners are allowed, I would be interested.
It might be a little tough if you have never touched a fly rod. But, otherwise I think the class is fine for folks who are getting started and are trying to improve...
JJT

Post by JJT »

I attended a class there held by Al Crise last year. Other than some practice between then and now, I have no experience. I think I'll pass on this one, and get in on one after I've had more time on the water with a fly rod.
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

Can't wait...missed out last year due to some other commitments...so I'm a little rusty technique wise..can't wait to get my swing straightened out...the Wiz has a way of getting the most out of your swing without totally trying to change you're style..everyone's a little different...short, tall, strong, slow, fast...he seems to know just where to interject a small change that has maximum impact on your cast...nothing like exposing your flaws in front of a group of guys.. :D you get over it pretty quick when you realize everyone has them... :D Then you get that one magical cast, where his advice and everything falls right into place...I still think the absolute most beautiful cast I've ever done was into a 20+ mph headwind during our first class..go figure.. :D
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I attended one of his short classes a number of years ago. He improved my casting by at least 30% in just a few minutes. Wish he would give a class close to Houston.
Fishing Elvis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Fishing Elvis »

Man, seems everytime one of these is going on the last couple of years I can't make it for some reason. This year I've already got plans that weekend for my mother's b-day. Bill does a great job and will fix your storke and lord knows mine needs some fixing right now. Haven't had a lesson since Bill's in 04, but man I'm in need.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Same weekend as the Fly Tying Festival? S'up widdat??
T from AZ

Post by T from AZ »

Birdnest - I sent a pm requesting a spot on the list. looking forward to the class.
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Birdsnest »

Got ya down. I'll send you a PM with details soon.
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Great Class!

Post by TKFStubb »

Bill puts on a great class and if you are used to a fast-paced lifestyle, you'll come away rested and refreshed...I always do!
Bird, been practicing that roll cast?

Someone can have my spot this year.

8)
Attachments
The Wizzard himself.jpg
Dr Pungo and Tom at Wizzards school.jpg
Arnulfo Curiel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Arnulfo Curiel »

:D Count me in, Sir. PM sent
:? My flyrods grew lots of spider webs on the wall this year, so I'm telling them I'm gonna take them out more this year. Plus I keep tying flies that are collecting dust :wink: .
blesker
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by blesker »

I'm a little late here adding my own dos pesos (friggin' real life keeps butting in!) but I have to echo what others have said here; Bill's class is top notch!

The opportunity to analyze both your cast, and the casts of your classmates is literally priceless. I knew I was doing *something* wrong, but I couldn't pin it down, and we all know how frustrating that can be. You know the story - you have 3 great casts, and then 1 or 2 that are lacking.

Well - Bill's class found the problem almost immediately - and while I still make the same mistake (power leak with my left hand on the forecast) I can correct it immediately now that I know what causes those lame-O casts.

Also - seeing what your classmates do helps tremendously, as you'll pick up tips to of both what, and what not to do.

Really - it's a great chance to really learn a TON about casting in a laid back, yet extraordinarily informative environment.

That is - if you don't have to take the class with the likes of Birdsnest, or Vincent - then you're doomed. ;)

b
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Birdsnest »

That is - if you don't have to take the class with the likes of Birdsnest, or Vincent - then you're doomed.
We're there to provide comic relief, and to stand as an example of what not to do.

I think Bill is gonna start the class with some video of him casting. The video will have some James Earl Jones narration while he casts; "This is your brain"

Then, he'll cut to a picture of me and Vinnie flailing the fly rods.... while Mr Jones intones; "This is your brain on drugs."
8) :lol:
blesker
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by blesker »

:)
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Birdsnest »

Only one spot left folks... Step up and get it while you can!
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Birdsnest wrote:SIGN UP:

1. Birdsnest
2. Vincent
3. T from AZ
4. Arnulfo Curiel
5. Pogo :D
Hey Pogo, What happened? I thought you told me you were going to tie at the Festival?
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Busted! :shock:

Yes, that's right. I did say I'd be at the fly tying festival, and Bird can tell you I've already scalded him for the short notice on the Dr H. deal (I made him admit he's a TURD). But I've been of a determined mind to attend the very next clinic Wiz hosts (who's also gonna get it) since hanging out in Port Lavaca a couple times this past summer. My cast is in terrible bad need of it! :( Besides, I really didn't think anyone would notice... :?

Next year, without fail...
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Pogo wrote:Next year, without fail...
Is it just me, or have I heard that before from...YOU! Well, I know you'll have a good weekend. Tight lines, Chris
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

No, no, I've never promised to tie at the Festival before this year, and I'm generally pretty good about doing what I say I'll do. I'm less than thrilled over how this has worked out, and HATE missing the tying festival whether I promised to do anything or not! :(
chazbo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by chazbo »

Is there still a spot open??
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Birdsnest »

Yep... uno mas!
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club