Cobra Navigator Weight?

J-Man

Cobra Navigator Weight?

Post by J-Man »

This is for anyone out there who has a Navigator. Cobra lists the weight of this yak as 47 lbs. That is hard for me to believe. Can anyone verify that this 12'6" kayak only weighs that much?

I'm thinking if that weight is accurate that this may be my next yak!
Green Water

Post by Green Water »

I haven't put it on a scale, but it's close. Remember that the weight of the hatches is not included in that, so she might be 50lbs.... Lovin' mine!
RealBigReel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

That is about right

Post by RealBigReel »

I have 2 of them. I haven't actually weighed either of mine but I can tell you that they weigh about 50 pounds tricked out (no gear). Weight will vary slightly from kayak to kayak even in the same model. Cobra has the best weight to performance ratio of any of the polyurethane kayaks. You can get kayaks quite a bit lighter (i.e. kevler) but you will pay a whole lot more for them too. And mostly you will find kayaks that not only weigh more they just don't perform as well in other respects either.
I put considerable research into my purchase and I took the advice of Strider since he had one (which he has since sold to me for my buddy kayak).
Couple of items that I would suggest. Get the high back seat, the "A" and "O" hatches and the forward 3 rod holders and make sure that they are far enough forward for you depending on your height.
Get a good paddle (very important.)
Couple of other items you might be interested in:
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... highlight=
and
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... highlight=
9/29/08
I decided that I needed to weigh my Navigator before I tout it further. So I did. It weighs 60 lbs. That includes the "A" and "O" hatches, high back seat, 8 rod holders and rear cargo net. So bare weight would probably be under 50 lbs.
Last edited by RealBigReel on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
J-Man

Post by J-Man »

Thanks BigReel!

Any other opinions on the Navigator?
Miguel

Cobra kayaks

Post by Miguel »

Test it on the water before you buy. I was all set to buy one until the demo. That killed the deal. It paddled like a barge and the hull slaps on every wave or ripple it crosses. Other than that it's a fine kayak.
peterpan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by peterpan »

Just love mine! Some people have different experiences in yaks, but also the performance will depend upon your body weight and height. If you are too light and big yak with bigger rocks, you will experience some bumps! I am 210# 6.1 and my nav xf is just perfect for me. But as everyone says, you have to try them, there is no perfect wife, you gotta feel if it matches you. But one thing for sure, there are bad wifes out there. Most of the popular brands here in this forum is good, however it will also depend upon the type of water you are planning to get in....
phil413tx
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by phil413tx »

I am a big fan of try before you buy. I researched a lot of kayaks on the internet. I thought I had the perfect one. I tried a demo and did not care for it. I bought something completely different. I saw the one I bought on the internet in my research but went right by it thinking it was not what I would want. Boy was I wrong. I feel I own the perfect kayak for me. Only the water can tell the truth.
Vasca
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Vasca »

phil413tx wrote:I am a big fan of try before you buy. I researched a lot of kayaks on the internet. I thought I had the perfect one. I tried a demo and did not care for it. I bought something completely different. I saw the one I bought on the internet in my research but went right by it thinking it was not what I would want. Boy was I wrong. I feel I own the perfect kayak for me. Only the water can tell the truth.
Well Said :wink: