Safety

TexasSurfFisherman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Safety

Post by TexasSurfFisherman »

No safety section on site so here go's

Allot of new kayakers on board. The safety issue has been addressed on this site so many times. I got to thinking that instead of reading "kayaker drowns" or "should have been wearing a PFD". We should enlist a safety section with full command without liability.

Jolly Roger has a good crowd up on HI that he takes the time to show BTB safety. I or someone else would be willing to do the same here for Galveston region or water kayak general BTB/BAY instruction. There are allot of cases you do not read about people dying via kayaking. The contacts I have within the USCG always tell me of tragedy.

Idea? The main thought of this is to preserve life and have a safe time on water. We all know what it's like to wonder if the student driver is gonna hit us while in traffic.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

We all ready have done a few kayaking classes already for TKF and several more are planned for this year. Luces Bayou and Waco.

These classes are done for all on TKF at no charge, except for the insurance fee.

There is nothing wrong with anyone getting together and practicing, discussing or helpinging each other out.

If there is interest to have a class sooner, let me know and I will set it up. I just need atleast 10 days in advance to get the class registered and get the insurance. and a commitment from the participants to attend.

Randy
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Roofish »

"There are allot of cases you do not read about people dying via kayaking. The contacts I have within the USCG always tell me of tragedy." TSF, maybe you should post them up, so people will be more willing to practice safety on the water. .02 :)
ifpo238
Location: Northwest Houston, 290 and 43rd Kayak: OK Prowler Trident 15

Post by ifpo238 »

i just got my first kayak, and i am anxious to take it out and catch some fish. i do want to learn to fish btb, too, even though i've never fished the big water before.

i would love to find out about opportunities for some safety training and some "how to fish btb properly" trianing.

what are my options?
TexasSurfFisherman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Randy wrote:We all ready have done a few kayaking classes already for TKF and several more are planned for this year. Luces Bayou and Waco.

These classes are done for all on TKF at no charge, except for the insurance fee.

There is nothing wrong with anyone getting together and practicing, discussing or helpinging each other out.

If there is interest to have a class sooner, let me know and I will set it up. I just need atleast 10 days in advance to get the class registered and get the insurance. and a commitment from the participants to attend.

Randy
Correct Randy at no charge. We could even eleviate ins fees with simple waiver of liability. This is aimed at not just TKF members but lurkers as well. Last year we pulled 2 guys from surf/offshore running baits that never should have been in a yak w/out instruction.

Seeing you are doing Luces and Waco that would cover that region. JR has been kind enough to do HI so Gavelston is next on list. This sport is exploding to the point of general safety concern for newbies.

Let me know if you want to put something up for Galveston we could ram rod it and get it done.
TexasSurfFisherman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

ifpo238 wrote:i just got my first kayak, and i am anxious to take it out and catch some fish. i do want to learn to fish btb, too, even though i've never fished the big water before.

i would love to find out about opportunities for some safety training and some "how to fish btb properly" trianing.

what are my options?
Enldess options. Post is for general safety IFPO fishing comes second. I take it you are willing to attend if so?
TexasSurfFisherman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Roofish wrote:"There are allot of cases you do not read about people dying via kayaking. The contacts I have within the USCG always tell me of tragedy." TSF, maybe you should post them up, so people will be more willing to practice safety on the water. .02 :)
Roofish we cannot post cases out of privacy laws for rescued individuals. I am sure Gip can confirm to the countless cases not reported.
ifpo238

Post by ifpo238 »

TexasSurfFisherman wrote:Endless options. Post is for general safety IFPO fishing comes second. I take it you are willing to attend if so?
Absolutely. I'd still like to see some of the safety aspects of BTB fishing covered. I've read that there are issues with keeping the rod tip pointed towards the bow, issues with using braided line, etc. I've never fished for fish that big before, and I don't wanna lose a finger while working out a backlash, releasing a shark, etc...

-j
kmick

Post by kmick »

I'm very interested in some instruction and will pursue it. I'm excited to get my kayak on the water, but not before learning a few things. Besides I want my family to get involved with me and safety is a must.
rltipton

Post by rltipton »

TexasSurfFisherman wrote:Enldess options. Post is for general safety IFPO fishing comes second. I take it you are willing to attend if so?
I'd love to attend as well. I have a lot of experience in small craft in salt water, but not a kayak! You can never know too much about safety.
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

I know Randy is working the Hurricane with FEMA right now. He called me yesterday and checked up on us from the HQ in Beaumont. So he may be a little late getting back to the topic.

I would Vote Randy as the teacher because he is ACA Certified and already has programs set up.

But if there was enough interest in doing a BTB saftey class. I know a good spot, and would be willing to work out a program with him to teach some of the aspects that come along with BTB.

If the TOBA tournament goes off without any problems and I do not have to use the backup dates. Then once again we will be doing Beyond the Breakers again this year.

This would be a good time for real world training for the people interested. But we will have to see what Randy has to say about it and if he can work it into his calendar.
Fla-Fish
TKF 8000 Club
TKF 8000 Club

Post by Fla-Fish »

ACA is very strict as to what we can teach when it comes to Safety Classes. They don't have a "BTB" specific Safety Class yet.
Randy and I would like to put one together and get it approved but that could take up to a year. We can teach Intro to Kayaking Safety Class ONLY in flatwater conditions. (Non Surf) Then you can take that info and adjust it to what works BTB and what does not.

As Mark found out flipping a FnD back over can be a real challenge out in the surf zone or even in flat water. Randy came up with what he calls "The Rock Climb" using a rope tied to the handle on the other side just walk it up and over towards you. That way any rods and hooks come up the other side and have less chance of biting you.

I am refining a quick re-entry using a drift sock to keep the yak from flipping over on top of you as you try and get back in. Just clip it to the handle on the other side, make sure it fills with water and use it as a counter balance to keep skinny yaks and Mini-X's from flipping over on top of you. Works great and alot quicker that rigging the paddle float when you need to get in quick and your yak keeps trying to flip over on you.

Both of these methods are NOT "approved" to teach until we can present them to the ACA Commitee. Use at your own Risk.

One of the biggest problems people have when they end up in the water is their PFD riding up and in their face.
Few people try it in deep water until it is too late and it just makes a bad situation worse.
I started using some carabiner clips attached to the bottom of my PFD and clip them to my belt = problem solved.
Again NOT Approved and use at your own risk.

There are Assisted Re-Entry methods that every kayaker that fishes deep water should learn. That would be the quickest way back in.
Another reason to NEVER fish deep water alone.

We can do an Intro Class in a "Flat Water" spot like El Hardin or some other place close by. Then "After Class" we can go play in the surf.

ACA has a Surf Kayaking Course and a Sea Kayaking Course but nothing yet geared to BTB Fishing from a Sit-on-Top yet. We are working on it.
TexasSurfFisherman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

I would like to do so as well. Being from Idaho and a Licensed guide I had to aquire several licenses for white water rafting and medical. I am wondering if Texas would recognize certs. At any rate getting certified with ACA is not a big deal for me I know good contacts within that association could lead me up.

Now onto safety TJ I would be willing to help you more so BTB instructing classes for fishing. I am seeing noobies getting sharks more and more and someone is bound to get hurt. It's not how bad but WHEN is it gonna happen. We are all prone to severe injury both you I and several others know that all to well.

Pm me or post if you are intrested. With cooler temps on the way a turn out would be good.

As far as FEMA I am taking this round off from them. I feel for your friend Randy.

Jolly Roger wrote:I know Randy is working the Hurricane with FEMA right now. He called me yesterday and checked up on us from the HQ in Beaumont. So he may be a little late getting back to the topic.

I would Vote Randy as the teacher because he is ACA Certified and already has programs set up.

But if there was enough interest in doing a BTB saftey class. I know a good spot, and would be willing to work out a program with him to teach some of the aspects that come along with BTB.

If the TOBA tournament goes off without any problems and I do not have to use the backup dates. Then once again we will be doing Beyond the Breakers again this year.

This would be a good time for real world training for the people interested. But we will have to see what Randy has to say about it and if he can work it into his calendar.
TexasZeke

Post by TexasZeke »

Randy wrote:We all ready have done a few kayaking classes already for TKF and several more are planned for this year. Luces Bayou and Waco.

Randy
any idea when your planning for waco?
TUNDRA786

Post by TUNDRA786 »

Hey guys,
Ive only been on a kayak once on a very flat river. Im getting my first kayak this weekend(redfish 14 w/rudder) and am very interested in attending a saftey class. Re-entry is the main thing i need to learn as i have done it.

Please update this post whenever you guys plan on teaching this class. (also if you guys could let us know what the charges are...)

Id like to take a saftey class before i take my kayak out fishing.

If the class isnt going to be for a while, hopefully i can find someone on the board to go fishing with the first time. (definitely not BTB)
phil413tx
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by phil413tx »

I would be interested in a class as well. I have been doing a lot of kayaking in lakes the last 6 weeks and would like to move on to other areas. I could use a class.
ifpo238

Post by ifpo238 »

I'm still very interested. Would like to learn safety, reentry, paddling technique, BTB, etc. I would plan to attend classes on any of these topics, if offered. (Just not on openin' wknd of deer season. ;-) )

-j
Renfish
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Renfish »

The hurricane has affected a lot of people's fishing (as well as lives) and the areas fished. I would guess it would be awhile before the experts had time to teach these classes.

However, keep you eyes on the BTB forum if you're interested in the surf. You'll see posts of where people plan to fish each weekend. Show up and you'll be able to fish with a great bunch of people that always seem willing to help a newbie :D

If you don't want BTB, keep an eye on the saltwater forum. Always seems that there is someone looking for a buddy to fish with.

Most of all, DO NOT go out there alone.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

Dang I have missed a bunch, I have been out since Aug 29 and still out, We may get demobilization orders in the next day or so....
I miss my kayak, and a bathroom with running water.... nothing like sitting on a pyramid in the dark....(ya hadta have been there)

Anyway, when I get settled back home, I will get something put together.

Miss you guys and girls,,,,

Randy
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

Over the last five years I have put together four Beyond the Breakers. This event was real world training in basic BTB fishing. Also throughout the years I have gave many Seminars on basic to advance BTB fishing. Have taught close to a 1000 people in person on the basics of BTB fishing.

I was planing to have the fifth Beyond the Breakers event this October. But since the hurricane I will have to wait and see if we can get access anywhere before November. Nov is deer killing month for me, so no go that month.

If you want Randy we can add a safety course to the otyher events. Let me know when you get settled back in at home.
TexasSurfFisherman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Jolly Roger wrote:Over the last five years I have put together four Beyond the Breakers. This event was real world training in basic BTB fishing. Also throughout the years I have gave many Seminars on basic to advance BTB fishing. Have taught close to a 1000 people in person on the basics of BTB fishing.

I was planing to have the fifth Beyond the Breakers event this October. But since the hurricane I will have to wait and see if we can get access anywhere before November. Nov is deer killing month for me, so no go that month.

If you want Randy we can add a safety course to the otyher events. Let me know when you get settled back in at home.
wow great idea thought it was mine? you need one of them yellow shirts from Deaver maybe feel special. :twisted:
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

TexasSurfFisherman wrote:
Jolly Roger wrote:Over the last five years I have put together four Beyond the Breakers. This event was real world training in basic BTB fishing. Also throughout the years I have gave many Seminars on basic to advance BTB fishing. Have taught close to a 1000 people in person on the basics of BTB fishing.

wow great idea thought it was mine? you need one of them yellow shirts from Deaver maybe feel special. :twisted:

Think I need one to match my Speedos.

Randy is ACA certified, he is also my friend. So that is why I asked him if he wanted to do saftey course at one of my events. Unless you get ACA certified, then I could care less witch one teaches the safety part as long as it is not me.

The other info was for the Newbies, just to let them know this is not my first rodeo. Been doing stuff like this for the kayaking community going on six years now.

Me and John at coastal paddlers went over the ideal of a BTB saftey course some time ago. The time line to get things aproved and accepted by ACA for teaching at that time was long. John is ACA, and gives classes. Since the ACA teaching was somewhat set in stone, we decided there was no reason to make it specfic to BTB. So when someone PMs me, or ask about kayak saftey classes in my area, I always point them toward John.

So unless ACA has changed, the who ever is doing the instructions may have to give a regular saftey course, and add lib some BTB details into it. But I could be wrong I do not kow the details, and it has been a long time since I discussed this with anyone that is ACA.

When I do my thing, I go over fish handling saftey, weather, hooks, lines, and all the other things that come along with large fish from small crafts. But I DO NOT teach any type of lesson plan from ACA. I leave that to the people that are ACA cert. If one of them want to add there lesson to one of my events, that is great we can make it work.
Kold Front

Post by Kold Front »

Could someone let me know if there are any similar courses near the San Antonio area or if you are planning one nearby? Thank you

Derrick
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

Echo Ride wrote:Could someone let me know if there are any similar courses near the San Antonio area or if you are planning one nearby? Thank you

Derrick

I am talking with the guys at the San Antonio TKF chapter for a BTB class in Feb. Do like a friday or saturday class/ BBQ type thing.

It is still a ways off, and we have to work out a few details. But if you are not a member of the SA chapter, might want to join.
javadrinker
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by javadrinker »

very interesting topic