Colorado River Dogs Annual Memorial Day Trip

Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Colorado River Dogs Annual Memorial Day Trip

Post by Hirsch »

I woke up this morning feeling OK and wishing Ihad gone, but by 3:30 was back in bed sonIn guess it was a good call.

On the bright side my 10th Grandchild and 7th granddaughter was born at 5:06 Mountain Time this morning. Samantha Joyce was born 7 lbs 7 oz and 20". Mom and daughter are doing well.
BOPGUNNER

Post by BOPGUNNER »

Congrats on new grand child, hope your felling better to. My family been passing a bug around to.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

how did it go and who made it ??
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

how did it go and who made it ??
I have been watching the thread, too, and wondering the same thing. I was in Kansas and on the road, and waiting to see how things went.
eweberdc
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by eweberdc »

I can't speak for the big trip, but we had a good time on our AC to Lil Web trip from Sunday to Monday. Rain held off til early morning Monday while we were still trying to sleep.

Fishing was slow...just under 20 fish caught between the three of us. Two fish of note. My buddy caught an around 4 pound largemouth, and I caught an around 3 pound Guad, my PB Guad to date.

Water was murky and filled with weed, but the weather was fantastic and the scenery was great.

Oh, and we saw what appeared to be a beaver on Hog Island. I thought it was a nutria, but one of the guys approached it with a flashlight and confirmed a paddle tail. Interesting.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Thanks for the re[ort on the upper stretch. DNR tells me the beach at Hog Island has grown larger than he ever remembers it being. I am not surprised at the beaver sighting as I have seen two further downstream.
eweberdc
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by eweberdc »

Hirsch wrote:Thanks for the re[ort on the upper stretch. DNR tells me the beach at Hog Island has grown larger than he ever remembers it being. I am not surprised at the beaver sighting as I have seen two further downstream.
Okay, I'm glad to know we're not crazy!

Hog Island has definitely changed since the last time I was there 2 years ago. It is much larger, has more campable sand, and 3 viable camping areas. The normal place can probably hold a dozen or more tents spread out, and the backside of the island as you come down the 'rapids' to the right looked even more comfortable.
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

River islands change from rain to rain and river rise and fall to river rise and fall; they are not stable over time or and they are ever changing. That is the way the river works. It's the same on the coast. Water changes everything, taking it away and putting it back.

When I am backpacking you can pretty much depend on things being a lot like they were the last time you came through for most places, but with floods and water flow, you can't always feel the same about rivers and river channels.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

The reason I like river fishing ,the river is alive and always changing , a lake is usually a dead body of water as far as change goes.
Ron
yaktipper

Post by yaktipper »

Trip Report:

Our group consisted of me, my friend John, RiverRover, Megan, Tyler, Black Rifle and his friend David. I did not have my camera with me this trip - perhaps some of the others will post some pictures and add to the report.

We started out at about 10:00 in the morning. It was a pretty day, and was not too hot. There were no fish to be had for the first hour or so, then RiverRover started catching a few. We had a couple of rain showers off and on, and at one point we all pulled to the bank under some trees because of the hard rain and wind. However, the rain only served to keep the temperature cool. RiverRover caught a huge catfish. We stopped for lunch and several got in the water to cool off. As we continued down the river, we saw several water moccasins. The wind kicked up a bit and made the last couple of miles a bit more challenging, but we arrived at the big island about 4:00.

We set up camp, and all did our own thing. Megan and I indulged in some girl-talk while John relaxed in his chair, Black Rifle, Tyler and David each went to their own tents for a nap, and RiverRover fished around the island and caught many small fish. About 7:00 we cooked dinner over charcoal. There was steak and shish kebobs, salad, beans, etc. Dinner was great! We enjoyed each others' company for a while. Early night for the old folks while the younger crowd enjoyed a fire.

Next morning it looked like a storm was coming, so after breakfast, John and I took off down the river, closely followed by RiverRover, Megan and Tyler. Black Rifle and David planned to stay another night on the island. We paddled and enjoyed the river. The weather held nicely for us the rest of the way. All in all, it was a restful, enjoyable trip!
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Thanks Linda!
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Hirsch wrote:Thanks Linda!
2x
BlackRifle

Post by BlackRifle »

I have many pictures and video to upload...

I'll have it up in a new thread soon. busy busy!
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

I saw a beaver back early April about 2 miles from the montopolis bridge. Never seen one on this stretch of river. We fished memorial Monday and had to call it quits about 11... Not enough action to justify staying out with the rising water
BlackRifle

Post by BlackRifle »

pictures are up in the colorado river dogs facebook page
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

I dont do facebook, wish you had put some pics up here.
Ron