Camping/Paddle trip any interest? update w/pics

Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Camping/Paddle trip any interest?

Post by Hirsch »

As of right now I am in barring bad weather or river conditions. What time are you planning to gather up Satrday to launch and to wrap it up on Sunday? I will have about a 2 1/2 hour drive so mid morning sounds good though I could be there early.

How steep is the launch site?
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Also who is planning to jug fish and how many jugs are you taking?
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Randy wrote:Wahington County and Grimes County was under a burn ban, I will check on that also.
According to this site (http://tfsfrp.tamu.edu/wildfires/DecBan.png) those two counties aren't under a burn ban right now. Could change daily I guess. Think there would be enough dry driftwood to make a fire for cooking? At my weight, it wouldn't hurt me to go a couple days/weeks without eating, I know :) but my brain still tells me I'm hungry.

I've never camped from the kayak, I think it would be fun but I'm not sure how I'm going to fit that Tent Cot in there :) . I don't have a small tent, just a larger family-sized one we used to use, that I would not want to lug around. I've been considering picking up a small one at REI, but it would have to be easy setup/take-down, AND secure from the rain, you know how it always rains when I camp! I don't imagine there are enough large trees on the sand bar to support a jungle hammock if I bought one?

I don't have a water filter, so would have to bring enough drinking water or boil water there if I needed it.

Interested, but still on the fence on this one...
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

rodloos , this area would be tough to hang a hammock, you would have to get above the vegitation line, and then you would be trespassing.

I hope you can make it,,, lord knows we need the rain......( just kidding on the rain part)

For water, I am just gonna bring frozen bottled water.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

We are going to start meeting at 10 am at the Navasota River bridge in HWY 105 west of Navasota. After we get unloaded and vehicles shuttled, hopefully we can shove off @ 11:30am. There will be plenty of time way before dark thirty, to get down river, and set up camp.

Randy
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

rodloos wrote:
Randy wrote:Wahington County and Grimes County was under a burn ban, I will check on that also.
According to this site (http://tfsfrp.tamu.edu/wildfires/DecBan.png) those two counties aren't under a burn ban right now. Could change daily I guess. Think there would be enough dry driftwood to make a fire for cooking? At my weight, it wouldn't hurt me to go a couple days/weeks without eating, I know :) but my brain still tells me I'm hungry.

I've never camped from the kayak, I think it would be fun but I'm not sure how I'm going to fit that Tent Cot in there :) . I don't have a small tent, just a larger family-sized one we used to use, that I would not want to lug around. I've been considering picking up a small one at REI, but it would have to be easy setup/take-down, AND secure from the rain, you know how it always rains when I camp! I don't imagine there are enough large trees on the sand bar to support a jungle hammock if I bought one?

I don't have a water filter, so would have to bring enough drinking water or boil water there if I needed it.

Interested, but still on the fence on this one...
With enough practice a Tent Cot can be folded to the size of cigarette pack

Withe
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

milret wrote:With enough practice a Tent Cot can be folded to the size of cigarette pack
Withe
Yeah, but after the semi-trailer runs over it, it takes a bit more work to set it up again :)
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

I'm paddling the "Queen Mary" 'cause it'll hold all my junk.....and more......but all the squishing, stomping and jumping up and down in the world isn't going to make room for the tent cot!!!!!!!!!! :x WE NEED A JON BOAT to shuttle all these tent cots!!!!!!!!! Or where's Gentleben!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

Firefly49 wrote:I'm paddling the "Queen Mary" 'cause it'll hold all my junk.....and more......but all the squishing, stomping and jumping up and down in the world isn't going to make room for the tent cot!!!!!!!!!! :x WE NEED A JON BOAT to shuttle all these tent cots!!!!!!!!! Or where's Gentleben!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Excuses, Excuses, Excuses!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Randy »

That would be cheating, using a trolling motor...... that big ole Bush Wack or what ever it is weighs 100# empty. tent cots tent cots tent cots tent cots tent cots tent cots,,,,,,,

ok we will use radios and talk to ya'll camped out under the bridge in the tent cots,,,,,,,,,,
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

I thought that this was part of the river camp idea ....... a little different style of camping in a different style area with different style equipment :P
There are so many different ways to camp and to me it's fun to practice the many different ways ...... at least we're not backpacking in with only granola bars and no fire or lights ... course that may be in the cooler weather future... :lol: I'll probably be living in my tiny traveltrailer soon so I may need to camp that way to feel like I was camping :roll:
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Randy »

I had a chance to recon the camp site this afternoon, as long as we don't get a "TURD" floater, the river looks great. The take out is dry and the county even mowed under the bridge.

The sand bar was dry and plenty of firewood.

I couldn't get to close, but there was some fresh BACON on the way. Look at the pic close....

This creature greeted me at the take out,,,, he wasn't down on the sand bar,,,,(with his cousins) I couldn't get the date stamp pushed on quick enough, I dint want him gittin away..

The water is still brown and the flow is pretty good. The paddle back up river on Sunday, will take about an hour to 2 hours.
PS: this spot is on the east side of the river, so it will have that afternoon sun till the sun breaks behind the tree line.
See ya'll Saturday.

Randy
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Camping/Paddle trip any interest? update w/pics

Post by TDD »

On the 18th I got the normal seasonal flu shot ... I woke up Mon. the 28th feeling like I had been in a role over, soar throat and sinuses pouring :cry: ... very low fever so far ...... generally feel like crap. I am wondering if the pig is paying me a visit :( ...... don't know how long this will last but, right now, the weekend is not looking good for me. I'll just have to play it by ear and see when the time comes. I was kinda looking forward to this little trip. I resealed all of the tent seams and siliconed the dickens out it .. been going thru and cleaning all the gear and fixed the "Eclipse" from Stubblefield weekend and even fixed the crack on my Phoenix along with rewiring all of it. Wait till you see my new 360* LED light that I put together today .. it is gonna be visible.
Aaauugggg ... I din't feel good :(
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Well, according to forecast.weather.gov:
Thursday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 90. South wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Thursday Night: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
They're probably getting ready to put that storm off until the weekend if I come :mrgreen: but just in case they are hedging their bets for Saturday already too:
Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 85.

Saturday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 70.

Sunday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 86.
Temps sound nice, at least it won't be freezing cold or unduly hot.
I wonder how much rain it would take to wipe the sand bar off the map in one night :lol: .

Still debating with myself, can I feel up to a 4 hour drive each way, and will I actually be able to sleep laying on the ground? Maybe I should just tow a queen-size air mattress down the river behind me like a barge :D .

I seem to recall someone on the forum that bought a Native Ultimate, and planned on just laying their sleeping bag out in it, but I don't think I'd be comfortable that way! I'm a wuss, I know.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Randy »

rodloos ,, Dawg,,,,, I have an aluminum folding cot that you can use, it folds up into carry bag. If you decide to come down I will bring it.....it will get ya up off the ground.......
NOTE It does not come with the BABE,,,,,
Attachments
cot.jpg
cot.jpg (8.96 KiB) Viewed 5552 times
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Randy »

Just a scientific wild guess ,,,looks like 10 to 12 folks coming,,,,that is awsome.
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

Hey, by sleeping on the ground you will help one of natures wonders stay warm at night.
BdaddyG

Post by BdaddyG »

Randy
I'll start the head count, I be coming off a double shift, but we well be on launch site around 10:00am. hopefully set camp and fish a little (even set up a couple of jug line) really looking forward to the break.
Any how there we be 2 of us.
see you there.

Gabriel and jill
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

I work Sat but could meet up with you guys Sun.
If I can make it where would a meeting place be?
Oh, and what time?
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

rodloos wrote:Well, according to forecast.weather.gov:
Thursday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 90. South wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Thursday Night: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
They're probably getting ready to put that storm off until the weekend if I come :mrgreen: but just in case they are hedging their bets for Saturday already too:
Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 85.

Saturday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 70.

Sunday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 86.
You must be going to make it. I just looked and it is now 40% Saturday. 50% Saturday night and 60% Sunday. :lol:
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Hirschhunter wrote:You must be going to make it. I just looked and it is now 40% Saturday. 50% Saturday night and 60% Sunday. :lol:
:lol: I should change my forum handle to Rainmaker!
We might need an ark if I make it down there!
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

Are you saying that you're a jinx, rodloos?:lol: :lol: Let's see...it rained when we were at Stubblefield.... it rained on the Harmon Creek trip....... guess it's not the first trip I'll go see if I get wet or not! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Firefly49 wrote:Are you saying that you're a jinx, rodloos? :lol: :lol: Let's see...it rained when we were at Stubblefield.... it rained on the Harmon Creek trip....... guess it's not the first trip I'll go see if I get wet or not! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guilty as charged :) -- Just ask those who were at the Inks Lake Boat Builders Roundup in May (or look at the pictures of that event) we got several inches if I recall correctly.

And at Stubblefield, I swear I saw that storm following me on the freeway all the way down from Dallas! :horse:
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Randy »

I am optimistic,,,, I think the weather wil be fine,,,, just have to see.

RevTCF , ref Sunday, If you launch from the Brazos Bridge and come down the Brazos early ,, say @ 7 or so,,, you will see the camp site on the left , If the weather cooperates, morning cofee should be brewing by then.
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

I have PONCHOS for rent!