rays shallow in xmas

redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

I've never caught one from the yak but I usually drag them to the bank, flip them over and unhook them. They seem pretty calm whem upside down. Then I grab a wing tip with pliers and put them back in. I have picked up a monster in the surf for a pic by the mouth; that was kind of strange.

How do ya'll ray eaters prepare them? Back when I used to teach school, an Asian kid in my class, saw the pic of the one above and asked if I ate it. I asked him how and he said " you steam it just like any other fish". I've always been tempted to try one though.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

redneckyakclub01 wrote:How do ya'll ray eaters prepare them?

I fry 'em up, but I imagine it'd be pretty good grilled, pan broiled in butter, etc., etc.

As mentioned previously, there's been an old wive's tale around for years that says seafood restaurants serve stingray as scallops. While it's not quite true, it still gives an idea of what to expect. Snow white meat of a firm, but tender texture, that has a certain succulant sweetness to it. I consider it a delicacy, myself.
sewaneedave

Post by sewaneedave »

ah, ok. finally an answer I might actually try doing. Do you have to pin down the whole length of it? That is, is the tail flexible down its length such that if the proximal part is pinned they can still get you w/ the tip, or is it more rigid.
TreeDav

Post by TreeDav »

I gig em, I made a nice little gig that I can reach down from the Bow of My sailboat as I go into the reeds(where the soft shell crabs congergate) and in shallow water you can clearly see the rays, I made mine with a bend attached to like an ax handle it works well, once I have the ray on the boat I use vise grips while 1 foot is on the end of the tail I simply pull out the barb and toss it , A Friend of mine shoots em with a bow and some fancy arrow brab that flexes out once it goes throgh flesh, however he has lost quite a few not to mention his method is expensive.

As far as making them into a meal, We stamp out the meat on the flaps with a 2 inch piece of PVC sharpened with a grinder then lay them on a piece of plywood and tap the PVC with the broad side of a hammer, some slice em in 1-2 inch strips, then put them circles in a plastic bag then on ice,,Back at home I put them in boiling water for about 3 min, then let cool, peel off skin, then put in tubberware and sermerge them in buttermilk for a few hrs in the ice box, then sautee in olive oil med heat for about 3 min or untill you can prog a toothpick in and out easy,,,put on plate have a wee bit melted butter to dip them n and E n j o y.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

sewaneedave wrote:Do you have to pin down the whole length of it?

Generally speaking, I lay the paddle shaft across the body of the critter, then drag him under it using whatever he's been hooked on as the lead... and when the barb comes to the shaft I mash down by placing my full weight upon it with either my foot or my knee. I don't care what the rest of him is doing, I just want that barb immobilized. Then I wrench the SOB off with my pliers and get on with my life. Nuthin' to it.
sewaneedave

Post by sewaneedave »

ah ok, think I gotcha