Fall Overnighter 2015

jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Fall Overnighter 2015

Post by jhb »

I'll leave that up to y'all. I'm sure honkey and I would appreciate it.
Texjbq85

Post by Texjbq85 »

I initially threw out the date because it was Texas A&M's bye week. If we moved it up to the weekend of Oct 3rd. I could still make it. If the weekend of the 17th, I'd be out. (It's the Alabama game).
t100

Post by t100 »

There a date yet? My youngest birthday is in the 3rd so that weekend is a no go for me.
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

September 20 is the last day Schlitterbahns open. After that I'm available on almost any weekend. I'll leave it up to the people with the busy schedules to decide the date.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Maybe the weekend of the 24th? It'll be a little cooler by then anyways...
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

I like the 24th, still hoping this thing happens, will give me a good reason/excuse to make an overnight float
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

The 24th sounds good to me. Disclaimer: I have a severe addiction to BTB that I have not been able to feed for several months now. If that (or any) weekend turns into ice cream conditions offshore, I can't guarantee I will make the trip.
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

so, nothing on here lately, i have a guest that wants to go to, but waiting to hear on a positive date. pleasea can we confirm something in stone so i/we can start planning this fish fest?
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I'm good with the 24th of October.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I'll post a minimalist gear list for those who need to start preparing...

Besides a kayak, paddle and fishing gear (rods/reels, lures, PFD, grips, hog trough, etc.), I also bring:

1. Water (minimum gallon/day) or filters
2. Food (I always bring too much). I usually do cold meals for breakfast and lunch and a hot one for dinner (sausage and tortillas usually, or ramen and sausage).
3. Adult beverages if any.
4. A sleeping bag and a hoodie/towel packed in a dry bag. The hoodie/towel is my pillow in the dry bag. Hoodie doubles as a hoodie.
5. Waders if it's cold.
6. A tent if I expect foul weather.
7. Bug spray if it's warm.
8. A mess kit (contains gold bond, fire starters, soap, spork).
9. First aid kit (minimalist).
10. A small folding stool can be nice or your kayak seat.
11. Propane backpacking stove.
12. Bushwhacker or machete.

Some of this stuff is repetitive to bring if the guy next to you is going to do it also. No need for all of us to bring a propane stove, machete or first aid kits. But you get the idea. If you're riding with someone just don't double pack stuff like that unnecessarily. I never bring a machete when I camp with Sparrow/Warthog because those guys always bring one and put them to good use clearing snakes from our campsites (that's only happened once, don't be scared!).
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

The 24th works for me I just hope its not to cold. I've noticed we have a lot of interest for this trip. My only concern is how many people is too many people to fish and camp comfortably? It would be one thing if we were at a lake or the coast where there is almost unlimited room to fish. I understand the Colorado isn't a small hill country stream but its still a river. I think this is one thing we need to consider in the planing of this trip.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Zack, it may seem large now, but from experience people will back out. I would say a group of a dozen can be done, and honestly, this being a large river, we could manage more people by splitting in to smaller groups (flotillas!). We'll have to select a prime camping spot to really get people together for some campfire stories... but here's where the Colorado wins compared to other smaller rivers.

Go to Google Earth and type in these coordinates: 30*13'15.46" N 97*32'37.86" W

This island (I know it's huge!) is Hog Island. It has a great bank to camp and beach a ton of kayaks. This island is 9 miles from FM973 and 5 miles from Austin's Colony and is a great waypoint to stop at. It's 2.5 miles further to the Little Webb take out or another few to the Big Webb take out.

What I'm worried about is taking out and shuttling and I really just want to ask people to start planning. Get with others who are going and plan your ride so we don't have to leave vehicles scattered around Texas. Try to group up into a truck that can haul 2-4 kayaks.
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

does the island have trees to tie up a hammock in? also, thanks for posting a suggested packing list. as far as numbers go, i think the river is big enough for several to fish one area and still produce a few big'uns as well as a few for supper
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

On my phone and tired... but... just came back from a float down the Colorado from FM973 to Big Webb and I can update y'all soon. Expect a report from either myself or Warthog soon.

Welderdude, most islands are very overgrown right now. They do have trees but you might have to walk back away from the river a bit to get to suitable trees and away from flood debris.

Goodnight. More soon.
t100

Post by t100 »

One of the last freeze trips I did had around 25+ kayaks! Fun trip, fishing was great for the folks in front and in the rear. We stayed on a island about 2 miles up river from 973 and the second night on hog island. Hog island is plenty big for lots of camping....plus a TON of driftwood for a nice fire. I might join yall or just do the stretch ahead or behind what yall are doing.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

We did a trip of 1 night with 4 people, at times we were a few hundreds yards apart and even out of sight of each other, usually staying in pairs if we'd split around an island or drifted behind to fish a spot an extra time. Like I've told my buddy who has joined men the last few trips...

1. I know this area looks fishy, but the whole river is like this, don't focus on one area just because you're afraid no more are coming.
2. Fishing in front won't guarantee you get the fish, often times the fish is pulled out by the people in the back because they put that lure in the money spot when they casted.
3. Learn to cast in an area with about a 3' diameter. Cast to the little pockets around cover along the bank (trees, rocks, etc.) or dramatic changes in the bank topography (cuts, holes, etc.).

The larger the group, the larger we'll have to spread out. The natural tendency is to spread out anyway, Just be kind and let people pass if you intend to fish a spot hard. People need to realize that some fishermen will move fast, some will move slow, but don't linger. If you stop on a bank to rest, stop with others.

All the islands were fairly grown over, including Hog Island. There are also a chain of islands below the old Webberville Park (Little Webb) above Big Webb that are large and contain good camping, but also overgrown. A bushwhacker or machete made quick work of most growth- but read my upcoming report about the snakes this weekend.
hunterlee5587

Post by hunterlee5587 »

I have only paddled San Marcos once, that was the beginning of last month. Bridges and a lot of access points seemed to be still recovering from damage sustained from the rains back before summer started. I have fished the Brazos twice right below Lake Whitney, and that is some great bass fishing (huge blue gill also) and lots of them.

I think this would be a fun trip; a get together to meet new people, and a chance to learn from others a little something about our common interest.
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

So, looks like we are on for the 24th. Can we pin down a meetup time and launch site? My ride wants to do a girls day out that day but has plans in the late morning. I will be plus 1 with a somewhat novice kayaker, but he's game for the trip. Also would like to know takeout location and estimated time for that. Looking forward to meeting and soaking some baits!
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

My vote would be for FM973 down to the larger/newer Webberville Park (Big Webb). I can get more explicit later but the simple directions are Hwy 71 S to ABIA, L on FM973, immediately after the Colorado River bridge hang a R on the dirt road and park under the bridge on the peninsula to unload (30* 12' 29.36" N - 97* 38' 17.99" W). The takeout would be further east- keep traveling up FM973 to FM 969 and hang a R. Go out FM 969 past Webberville, TX, hang a R on Webberwood Dr and another R on Park Ln and head all the way to the back of the park on the main road to the river (30* 12' 32.48" N - 97* 30' 01.06" W).

Sunup is at 7:39am. There's a lot of room for a put-in and a decent number of vehicles. If we shove off at 7:30 then we probably need to come in waves so some some vehicles can have some space. I always get there early and try to catch some in the ripples under the bridge. If it rains we need to be careful for 2wd vehicles, but it's usually not a problem. Try to catch a ride with someone, start sending pms.

Folks, this is a trip that doesn't require much paddling, just coasting with the current. If the wind is up, it can be a little beast, because it's always from the east heading upstream. If you get on the water a little late, it won't be hard to find us. I usually just float and end up in the back of the pack (catching everyone's leftovers). There are no crazy rapids. There are no crazy forks. Hog Island is the biggest but I imagine we'll even split that in half, because the water is real skinny on the back side.

I'd recommend darker color lures for this river, seems to be more stained than most, being downstream of Austin, a few treatment facilities and starting to get in to a soft soil. This river is generous on lure selection. If you like jigs, then flip near the dead falls along the bank. If you like spinners, then go catch some white bass too while you're at it. Love crank baits? You'll catch black and white bass on 'em.
Texjbq85

Post by Texjbq85 »

So the 974 to Big Webberville sounds like the trip.

We should probably start getting a more official head count, vehicles and shuttles worked out. Obviously things can/will always change.

I'm in for sure, barring something unforeseen coming up. I have a Toyota Tacoma and just spoke to a friend who will let me borrow a 6 boat Kayak trailer . Let's start an official post with head count, vehicles, and where and when we will be coming from. It will be my next post. Just post your info and I'll edit it in to the post.
Last edited by Texjbq85 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Texjbq85

Post by Texjbq85 »

Attending:
jhb +1
Texjbq85
Warthog
Welderdude + 1
t100 +1

Current count: 8

Vehicles:
Texjbq85 - One truck plus a 6 boat kayak trailer, I'd like to leave from San Marcos early Saturday AM and return directly as soon as off the river Sunday.
Last edited by Texjbq85 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

I will have a 10 foot flatbed and an extra seat in my girl's ride. I do NOT recommend anyone leaving a vehicle under 973 overnight. Last time I was there the access was to the right on 973 just after the bridge, turn sharp and go down the side of the bridge until you get underneath it, then the best launch spot is only good for maybe 2 yaks at a time. Yes, the water is not usually as clear as upstream, but not having fished below 130, I cannot vouch for the fishing. However, up from 973, chatterbaits and bright, goofy colored T-rigged senko styles work fine. Lots of gar, too, if anyone cares to try and tangle with one...bro-in-law caught one over 3 feet last trip out.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

They've redone FM973 (maybe since you've been there) and the peninsula area can launch a number of yaks now and hold a few vehicles as well. I agree, I wouldn't leave my (not nice) truck there.

Texjbq thanks for getting ahead of the rides/shuttles/etc. I've been busy lately.

I'm coming myself, probably +1. I can arrange for my own drop off and pick up, but only have room for myself and my buddy unfortunately. Coming from New Braunfels. If he can't make it, I'll advise.
t100

Post by t100 »

Put me down for possible with a +1.
Rotag

Post by Rotag »

Wish I had found this sub forum sooner sounds like its going to be fun