What did you tie today?

GaryA

Re: What did you tie today?

Post by GaryA »

Hi folks, I've been away for the past 5-6 years and used to participate regularly in the fly swaps. Got too busy with work and life and did not paddle, fish or tie during those years. Now that I've been pushed into retirement (THANKFULLY) I've been on a few outing with the Texas Fly Fishers (TFF) and spending way too much time tying new patterns and really enjoying it.

At the TFF fly tying festival I met Robin Murphy (Texas.Fly) who was tying some amazing EP fiber bait fish as well as meeting the Grand Poobah of fly tying and fishing, Puck.

Really like working with EP fibers and also intrigued with Bendbacks as they ride hook up and snag less.

Here are a few of the Bendbacks that I've been working on

Maraboo and flash Chinille on #1 hook

Peacock Hurl and EP fiber on #6 hook

This is my current project. Making a lead eyed bendback EP Shad that should sink mimicking a wounded shad

Notice the resemblance?

Most of my current patterns have Mylar streamers because they impart such an assume action. May post up an underwater video showing how good then look to a fish if I can figure out how. :D

Love to hear your comments and critique.

GaryA
SurfRunner

Post by SurfRunner »

Nice Ties Gary!

I tied up a box full of clousers at the fly tying forum held at FTU yesterday.....
Last edited by SurfRunner on Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I like those bend back EP shad. I've been tying just about everything I do hook point up including baitfish. There seems to be way more shad, mullet, various baitfish patterns tied point down. But for our local waters, it just makes sense when you fish shallow, shell and grass infested bays and marshes to use point up styles.

I feel like I need a couple of different baitfish styles in the box when I hit the bay or marsh. I've opened up enough predator fish stomachs to know all the Texas Slam fish are eating plenty of good sized fin fish.
StrykerDM

What did you tie today?

Post by StrykerDM »

First attempt at a gurgler fly. Hoping to take it out for redfish. Anybody have any suggestions? I think it came out pretty good. I even made the shrimp eyes myself on this one.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I like it. Please someone, you perhaps, post a local photo or video with a salt water fish taken on a gurgler. I've heard reports they work, but the more I think about it, I haven't seen much evidence outside of a video or two from the mangroves of the everglades with fish taking a swipe or 2 at them. Some people believe in big foot, too, but I'm just not buying the grainy photos. I'm kind of kidding.
SurfRunner

Post by SurfRunner »

StrykerDM wrote:Image

First attempt at a gurgler fly. Hoping to take it out for redfish. Anybody have any suggestions? I think it came out pretty good. I even made the shrimp eyes myself on this one.
I think it turned out great! I think you will catch a fish or two with it!
volintexas

Post by volintexas »

karstopo wrote:I like it. Please someone, you perhaps, post a local photo or video with a salt water fish taken on a gurgler. I've heard reports they work, but the more I think about it, I haven't seen much evidence outside of a video or two from the mangroves of the everglades with fish taking a swipe or 2 at them. Some people believe in big foot, too, but I'm just not buying the grainy photos. I'm kind of kidding.
I tied up a few that I plan to try out on Saturday, weather pending. I still haven't caught a red on the fly from the kayak though, so I may not be the best person to test this out.
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

So I haven't caught a red in the fly from my kayak yet either. I keep reading gurgler and other top waters can work in the right conditions. Just trying to fill the boxes so I'll be ready for every occasion. Trust me, you guys will probably hear me yelling from excitement the first time I catch me a red on the fly.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I'm just bitter because I haven't caught anything salty with a floating fly. I think, according to something I read, maybe here, that I haven't been vigorous enough in my stripping in. It's all good. I've still got a pile of gurglers, VIP poppers, and other floating patterns that I will give a shot again. I hope that yours works great.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

StrykerDM wrote:Image

My contribution to the swap was a size 4 gurgler similar to that one (minus the eyes). I'm hoping to gurgle up some reds in the next week or so. Obligations kept me off the water this week unfortunately. Yours came out looking great!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

The gurgler looks awesome. I wasn't trying be ugly. Gurglers were one of the earlier patterns I attempted ( mine don't look near as good as yours) and I had big plans to clean up the reds and trout on them. They didn't work out for me early on and I moved on to other patterns. Even the patterns that don't work out help build skills. There is tons of meat in making flies and fly tying and fly fishing. Not everyone has to like the same patterns.
badfish

Post by badfish »

Only luck I have had with gurgler in the salt was under lights on the pier at Goose Island.
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

karstopo wrote:The gurgler looks awesome. I wasn't trying be ugly. Gurglers were one of the earlier patterns I attempted ( mine don't look near as good as yours) and I had big plans to clean up the reds and trout on them. They didn't work out for me early on and I moved on to other patterns. Even the patterns that don't work out help build skills. There is tons of meat in making flies and fly tying and fly fishing. Not everyone has to like the same patterns.
Lol don't worry buddy, I knew what you were getting at. And I've tied bend backs, baitfish patterns, clousers, crabs, redfish crack, and still haven't caught a red on a fly. I'm sure like the trout fishing in used to it's really all in the presentation (which in pretty sure I've been doing wrong and am taking steps to correct). Figured it couldn't hurt to round out the Arsenal with some top waters.

And here on this one I tried a dubbing blend of senyos fusion dub and shaggy dub...will have to see which one works better in the water.

badfish

Post by badfish »

Those will definitely hunt
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I did a little more testing today of my shrimp fly in case we have another swap. You can't do too much testing...
Attachments
0314161603-1-1.jpg
0314161625-1-1.jpg
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

karstopo wrote:I did a little more testing today of my shrimp fly in case we have another swap. You can't do too much testing...
Nice! Did you sight cast them or just fishing the shell, etc?
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

StrykerDM wrote:
karstopo wrote:I did a little more testing today of my shrimp fly in case we have another swap. You can't do too much testing...
Nice! Did you sight cast them or just fishing the shell, etc?
No, I tried to find some protected shallow water holding fish I paddled a few hundred yards along a high brushy bank that offered some protection, but didn't see any fish or spook any. Resorted to casting in a nearby gut next to some oyster reef. Conditions were not very good for casting or sight fishing in the afternoon here in the freeport area. Wind was just about due southwest and stiff. Anything exposed to the wind was yoohoo.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

Nice looking flies GaryA

Glad to see the testing went well Topo - put those shrimp in the next swap please
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Been stocking my Stillwater midges. Size 14:
badfish

Post by badfish »

I gotta reload poppers. Guess it's a good day to visit BP for a few kits or Hobby Lobby for some balsa rods
GaryA

Post by GaryA »

Spider tying time. size 14 - 8 foam body and chenille in various flavors.

And these are Ligon, a variation of a spider Puck showed me how to tie that have a chenille body with legs and squirrel tail fur in sizes from 14 to 8

Now all I need is to find a pond where there are some hungry bluegill to test them on.
badfish

Post by badfish »

So Gary what weight Tod are you throwing those with?
GaryA

Post by GaryA »

With my 5wt.
badfish wrote:So Gary what weight Tod are you throwing those with?
badfish

Post by badfish »

Do you have a problem with the Gill taking the smaller flies too deep?
GaryA

Post by GaryA »

Really don't know. So far I've only caught two tiny white bass on flys. Been a bait caster past 50 years :oops:

Love tying but in need of places and people to fish with.
badfish wrote:Do you have a problem with the Gill taking the smaller flies too deep?