500lb bull shark caught off texas coast while wade fishing

supersix

500lb bull shark caught off texas coast while wade fishing

Post by supersix »

Has anyone heard of a 565lb bull shark that was caught off the Texas coast while wade fishing recently? My brother said he heard it on the radio here in austin on one of the fishing shows. Cant seem to find a news article anywhere on the web about it. He couldnt remember where it was caught.
Ocean Drifter

Post by Ocean Drifter »

If memory serves me correctly that Bull Shark was 513 lbs. and was caught last year in the Aransas Bay area. I'll do a search for it and see if I can find it.
Ocean Drifter

Post by Ocean Drifter »

supersix

Post by supersix »

Thanks Oceandrifter, that was probably it. I asked him twice if it was recent and he said he had heard it within the past two weeks. He was listine to 1530am here in Austin. apparently there is a guy that comes on the radio on Sunday mornings around 9am and does a local fishing report. I think its Outdoor adventures with Bob Simms, but I could be mistaken.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

How can wade fishing tackle used for speck fishing and the appropriate line test, bring in a 513 lb shark, let alone fight it for 2 1/2 hours? I doubt the guy was wade fishing from a boat.
Justin_Time
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Justin_Time »

Night Wing wrote:How can wade fishing tackle used for speck fishing and the appropriate line test, bring in a 513 lb shark, let alone fight it for 2 1/2 hours? I doubt the guy was wade fishing from a boat.
The article never said he was using light Trout tackle and 12lb test. He had to have been using large tackle to land that Shark...
noskunks

Post by noskunks »

the fish was caught out of the boat. They had seen it and were targeting the shark with big game tackle. Aransas Bay as most of you know gets deep and is adjacent to Lydia Ann Channel (deep) and the Ship Channel in Port A.
Niko5

Post by Niko5 »

It kind of sucks that they had to kill that big of a shark just so they could say... look what I caught... I doubt they ate any part of it.
SCREAMINREELS

Post by SCREAMINREELS »

That would be a huge rush to land somehting with that much power... but i dont think id bring it back in...even thoguh that would be nice to have your name behind a record
cut bait

Post by cut bait »

I think that was a long term/short term memory glitch.

Shark was originally spotted by wade fisherman and then pursued by the anglers in the boat a day or so later.

If I saw one like that wade fishing I would hope I was wearing Depends.
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

Niko5 wrote:It kind of sucks that they had to kill that big of a shark just so they could say... look what I caught... I doubt they ate any part of it.
It kind of sucks that I have to wade with and lose trout to that kind of monster. This one shark per person limit needs to be re-examined. Near shore sharks are not overfished. :evil:
RigMover
Location: Dripping Springs, Texas / Gulf of Thailand "Living on the edge of the waters of the world"

Post by RigMover »

[quote="cut bait"]
If I saw one like that wade fishing I would hope I was wearing Depends.[/quote]

Times 2, one over the other.
p911gt2

Post by p911gt2 »

Ultrastealth wrote:
Niko5 wrote:It kind of sucks that they had to kill that big of a shark just so they could say... look what I caught... I doubt they ate any part of it.
It kind of sucks that I have to wade with and lose trout to that kind of monster. This one shark per person limit needs to be re-examined. Near shore sharks are not overfished. :evil:
Those sharks are there when you swim/fish/do anything in the water. If you ever get the chance to take a small plane at a low enough altitude you will see a few large ones in waters swimmers frequent. 99.999999999 percent of the time they dont mess with people, and most of the time people get bit they were doing something that put them at a higher risk. If you check the stats you have a greater chance of being stuck by lightening than killed by a shark.

I think its a shame that the shark caught was killed, they are valuable to the marine ecosystem, and because of dumb boaters who have to kill a shark to prove somthing they are becoming more rare. Someone should explain to these guys who need to kill a fish like that to prove something that hooking your bait, casting and holding on doesnt take much skill at all :roll: , the fish had probably been caught before, they are just the idiots who killed it.

We fish for sharks off the beach in FL all the time, its easy, and anyone can do it if you have the right gear. These are pics from a friend of mine from florida, all of them swam away

Doesnt matter how big the shark is, a 12/0 to 16/0 can take him in a timely manner and the fish can be released unharmed.
Justin_Time
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Justin_Time »

p911gt2 wrote: We fish for sharks off the beach in FL all the time, its easy, and anyone can do it if you have the right gear. These are pics from a friend of mine from florida, all of them swam away
I assume that if you or your friends that catch big sharks all the time caught a state record, you would go ahead and release it as well.

If an angler decides to keep a fish within legal regulations, I see nothing wrong with it. I would have hauled that thing to the dock too.
TexasSurfFisherman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TexasSurfFisherman »

That shark was caught on heavy gear fishing outside of PT A not while wade fishing.
TexasSurfFisherman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

p911gt2 wrote:
Ultrastealth wrote:
Those sharks are there when you swim/fish/do anything in the water. If you ever get the chance to take a small plane at a low enough altitude you will see a few large ones in waters swimmers frequent. 99.999999999 percent of the time they dont mess with people, and most of the time people get bit they were doing something that put them at a higher risk. If you check the stats you have a greater chance of being stuck by lightening than killed by a shark.

I think its a shame that the shark caught was killed, they are valuable to the marine ecosystem, and because of dumb boaters who have to kill a shark to prove somthing they are becoming more rare. Someone should explain to these guys who need to kill a fish like that to prove something that hooking your bait, casting and holding on doesnt take much skill at all :roll: , the fish had probably been caught before, they are just the idiots who killed it.

We fish for sharks off the beach in FL all the time, its easy, and anyone can do it if you have the right gear. These are pics from a friend of mine from florida, all of them swam away

Doesnt matter how big the shark is, a 12/0 to 16/0 can take him in a timely manner and the fish can be released unharmed.

I agree with you. By the way nive to see you on TKF I see your crew all the time on the Shark boards in Fla.

Black tip Hunter is my buddy.
buck2230

Post by buck2230 »

I saw the guy who caught the record shark in line at the fairy in Aransas Pass. The huge thing was hangin out of his truck. Everyone got out to look at it. He had a smaller one with it also. BIG SHARK!
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

I personally don't care for sharks. I'm not afraid of them, I just get tired of beating them off of my stringer, and it is becoming a bigger and bigger problem. I'm glad that some of you like to fish for them, and I hope more people will eat them. I know of two people in the last two weeks who have lost whole stringers to sharks in Galveston. Neither was in proximity to a pass either. One had a cable stringer bitten in half. That was no small shark!
p911gt2

Post by p911gt2 »

Ultrastealth wrote:I personally don't care for sharks. I'm not afraid of them, I just get tired of beating them off of my stringer, and it is becoming a bigger and bigger problem. I'm glad that some of you like to fish for them, and I hope more people will eat them. I know of two people in the last two weeks who have lost whole stringers to sharks in Galveston. Neither was in proximity to a pass either. One had a cable stringer bitten in half. That was no small shark!
get one of these and you will never have that problem again

or if you are on a tight budget this is 8 bucks at sams club and fits in your front hatch

p911gt2

Post by p911gt2 »

Justin_Time wrote:
p911gt2 wrote: We fish for sharks off the beach in FL all the time, its easy, and anyone can do it if you have the right gear. These are pics from a friend of mine from florida, all of them swam away
I assume that if you or your friends that catch big sharks all the time caught a state record, you would go ahead and release it as well.
I would release it
p911gt2

Post by p911gt2 »

TexasSurfFisherman wrote:
I agree with you. By the way nive to see you on TKF I see your crew all the time on the Shark boards in Fla.

thanks for the welcome, I have been enjoying the board ever since I joined.

I dont know blacktiphunter personally, but I do know cubs83. I just sold most of my shark gear to upgrade my light tackle so my shark fishing days came to a end until I get my scholarship money, but the snook and tarpon fishing is too good right now for me to do any shark fishing so I probably wont need it until the poons move south and the snook go back to the backwaters.

Are u in FL? maybe we can meet up some time, I have the snook dialed at ft desoto and have been doing really well with the tarpon at IRB
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

p911gt2 wrote:
Ultrastealth wrote:I personally don't care for sharks. I'm not afraid of them, I just get tired of beating them off of my stringer, and it is becoming a bigger and bigger problem. I'm glad that some of you like to fish for them, and I hope more people will eat them. I know of two people in the last two weeks who have lost whole stringers to sharks in Galveston. Neither was in proximity to a pass either. One had a cable stringer bitten in half. That was no small shark!

or if you are on a tight budget this is 8 bucks at sams club and fits in your front hatch

Kind of hard to wade with those.
p911gt2

Post by p911gt2 »

Ultrastealth wrote:
p911gt2 wrote:

Kind of hard to wade with those.
keep your kayak on a leash so its close by, catch a fish, put it in the kayak :wink:
TexasSurfFisherman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

p911gt2 wrote:
TexasSurfFisherman wrote:

thanks for the welcome, I have been enjoying the board ever since I joined.

I dont know blacktiphunter personally, but I do know cubs83. I just sold most of my shark gear to upgrade my light tackle so my shark fishing days came to a end until I get my scholarship money, but the snook and tarpon fishing is too good right now for me to do any shark fishing so I probably wont need it until the poons move south and the snook go back to the backwaters.

Are u in FL? maybe we can meet up some time, I have the snook dialed at ft desoto and have been doing really well with the tarpon at IRB

Nope I am on the dirty 3rd upper coast TX. Our crew fishes Fla down to Destin for your local tournaments during the fall season. We are yet to get there this year.

August looks like a good trip down to your area with a trip to the GBR to fish the reef.

PM sent.
noskunks

Post by noskunks »

Those sharks are there when you swim/fish/do anything in the water. If you ever get the chance to take a small plane at a low enough altitude you will see a few large ones in waters swimmers frequent. 99.999999999 percent of the time they dont mess with people, and most of the time people get bit they were doing something that put them at a higher risk.

I think its a shame that the shark caught was killed, they are valuable to the marine ecosystem, and because of dumb boaters who have to kill a shark to prove somthing they are becoming more rare.

I can appreciate your concern and passion but your statements are contradictory. If there are enough of them to be seen frequently, and caught like the ones in your pictures, they aren't that rare. The people that get bit are of course doing something that puts them at higher risk...They are in the water with Sharks! or carrying stringers of fish. I'm glad you conserve, I personally don't kill sharks either, but if someone wants to bring one in for a record or just to show off, who cares. I see way more pictures of sharks released than dead sharks.