Covering up holes in a yak

TexasGringo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Covering up holes in a yak

Post by TexasGringo »

Yeah yeah i know i should have taken my yak out first to decide where to mount my rod holder but i didn't so shame on me.

If i want to move it, what do I need to do to cover the holes from the bolts? Its just 4 small holes from a Scotty mount.
Thanks for any info on how to do this.
sherwood

Post by sherwood »

I've covered/filled small holes with hot glue, then a razor to shave it flush.
Last edited by sherwood on Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

Big aluminum pop rivets with rubber grommets/washers underneath would work, but they'd have to be near the width of the holes so you have good backing surface on them..

Youm might even be able to find plastic rivets.

Alternately, you could use the same approach with nuts and bolts, especially some with a low profile top, if you have a hatch that lets you reach inside underneath...

You could also possibly substitute a thin layer of 3M 5200 for the rubber grommet, or marine GOOP....though 5200 sometimes doesn't want to stick well to some plastics...
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

If course, you could also find out what plastic your boat is built from, get a bit of the same kind of plastic, determine what its melting/softening temperature is (but not combustion!), and using a soldering iron or plastic welding iron, melt a hole sized piece of plastic into the hole.

Warning: takes practive befoer you try it on your boat.
TexasGringo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TexasGringo »

Thanks guys.
Might do what you said AyJay, just cover them w/some other low profile nuts and bolts. I dont' want it to look like crap but if they're small enough i don't really care. Its not like it effects performance.
TexasSurfFisherman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TexasSurfFisherman »

Contact the Dealer and ask for some repair kits.
REDline
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by REDline »

Gringo wrote:Thanks guys.
Might do what you said AyJay, just cover them w/some other low profile nuts and bolts. I dont' want it to look like crap but if they're small enough i don't really care. Its not like it effects performance.
anything you could mount there?

if not, you could just paint the nuts and bolts close to the color of your yak...
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

It's really not that hard to melt a little plastic and cover them up. I've done it dozens of times. I always save the shavings from any hole I drill so I'll have the right color if the need ever arises.

I use a flexible blade butter knife. Apply the heat to the knife and place the shaving over the hole. Apply the heated knife to the shaving and press it into the hole. Repeat until the hole is filled. Then use the reheated knife to smooth the surface. Use some patience and you can get it to the point you'll have trouble even seeing the repair.

I once fixed a three inch crack in one of my demo boats using this method and it held up through another full season of demos. A friend later got the boat and I haven't heard of him having any issues with it.

If you don't have any shavings you can do like Dean and use a milk jug. I've also shaved a little off the skeg a couple times. The skeg is the thickest part of the boat and a couple thin shavings off of it shouldn't hurt anything.

Just avoid applying the flame directly to the boat. It can be done, but is a bit risky if you aren't used to it.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

My original mount for my scotty was ok, but later I chose to mount a bin in front of it to hold pliers, gloves , knives, etc. There wasn't enough room between the scotty mount and front hatch for the bin so I had to relocate the scotty mount. I just used the same screws and filled the holes and all you can see is 4 screw heads. On my rig you can't see them because the bin covers them.

I have no repair skills and if I attempted patching with plastic, I would probably end up with a hole as big as my head. :cry: :lol: