BTB LEADERS

Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

BTB LEADERS

Post by Crazy Yak »

LEADERS:
New and improved tie on the fly Bull Red / Black Drum Leader: No crimps or swivel needed.
1. 10/0 - 15/0 Circle Hook (varies by brand and type) tied to your leader (4ft section fo 80lb mono). This example uses a smaller hook for use with light tackle.
2. Tie a dropper loop knot 6-12" above the hook for your weight (if fishing BTB, no weight is needed, you need a weight fishing ship channels with current)
3. Tie the leader to your main line: you can use loop-to-loop connections (double surgeon knots on your leader and main line) OR tie directly to your main line using an Improved Albright or Uni-to-Uni OR you can tie to a swivel and then attach to your main line.

In the pic below I used a 10/0 circle tied using snell knot, 12" above the hook is a dropper loop knot, and the top of the leader is attached to the main line using an Improved Albright. With your reel on release the fish can pull line and weight freely from the spool until you set the hook. This setup also lets you feel the slightest of bites, sometimes Black Drum will remain stationary with the bait in their mouth. The 3-6oz weights on sandy / clay bottoms do not resist enough to deter fish from taking the bait,, so a running ledger isn't needed.

For more information on knots go to:
http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishi ... dknots.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bull Red / Black Drum (for the Surf and Channels requiring a weight):

Order of assembly:
1. 10/0-15/0 Circle Hook (varies by brand and type)
2. 1.6B Double Sleeve
3. 200# Mono Leader (4ft)
4. Another 1.6B Double Sleeve placed in the middle of the mono leader for your weight clip stop. Crimp the sleeve to stop the weight from sliding down to the hook.
5. Plastic Bead
6. Weight Clip
7. Plastic Bead
8. 1.6B Double Sleeve
9. 225lb Barrel Swivel

Bull Red / Black Drum (BTB Kayak Leader, no weight required):
1. 10/0-15/0 Circle Hook
2. 1.6B Double Sleeve
3. 200# Mono Leader (4ft)
4. 1.6B Double Sleeve
5. 225lb Barrel Swivel

Shark Leader – Environmentally Friendly and Reusable – NO BALLOON :lol: , Barbless Circle Hook. This leader in the pic has caught 6 Sharks
1. 16/0 Circle Hook
2. 2.2B Double Sleeve
3. 400# Mono Leader (5-7ft) Increase the length of the leader to match the size Shark you are targeting.
4. 2.2B Double Sleeve
5. 225lb Barrel Swivel
6. Sliding Float
7. Plastic Bead
8. Sliding 65lb Braid Knot – tied over mainline / shock leader using half-hitch knots

Kingfish / Spanish Mackerel Leader:
1. Malin stainless steel leader material: 43lb/#5 wire or 61lb/#6
2. 2/0 - 4/0, 4x strong treble hooks
3. 2/0 live bait hook
4. 80lb SPRO Swivel
*Directions for making the leader using a haywire twist are on the back of the Malin package, it takes practice.

For drifting and trolling Sardines, Shad, Mullet, Ribbon Fish (tie on a 3rd stinger hook):

For casting lures:

After you tie all those leaders store and protect them in a Leader Bag:
Last edited by Crazy Yak on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:00 am, edited 13 times in total.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Very good!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

this need to be a sticky too!!!
late start

Post by late start »

Hey Crazy Yak,

I was thinking. Could you make some leaders that only have 1 or 2 inches of 200 lb mono between the terminal tackle? Really short leaders for picture/demo use only. Then we could see the whole rig without all the line rolled up.

hook<>crimp sleeve <> 1 inch of mono <> Crimp sleeve <> barrel <>....

You get the idea.

Thanks for the pictures so far though. Great!!!
Tyak
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Tyak »

SWEET post, CRAZYYAK!! 8)
Fla-Fish
TKF 8000 Club
TKF 8000 Club

Post by Fla-Fish »

late start wrote:Hey Crazy Yak,
I was thinking. Could you make some leaders that only have 1 or 2 inches of 200 lb mono between the terminal tackle? Really short leaders for picture/demo use only. Then we could see the whole rig without all the line rolled up.
You get the idea.
NO

use your imagination for other than palm frongs and bikini's :lol: :lol:

Why waste the time & $$ if he can't use it :wink: :lol:
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

late start wrote:Hey Crazy Yak,

You get the idea.

Edited the surf leader with better explanation. I will try to get better pics of the leaders, it was tough to frame a 4-6 foot leader.

rod dawg
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by rod dawg »

sweeeet...
Tricky Matt

Post by Tricky Matt »

Great post. A picture IS worth a thousand words. Thanks so much!
mrkm1010
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mrkm1010 »

Thanks for the leader pics Crazy Yak, Iwas a little concerned on my shark leader. what is the purpose of the perfection knot ?
SmileDoc

Post by SmileDoc »

Hey Crazy Yak, what is your favorite crimper for those doubles?
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

MRKM1010:
The Perfection Loop let's the hook move around more freely, helps dead Shad look lively. This trick works for several species Offshore and Bay. For casting the hard plastics lures in the Bay you can use the Rapala Knot:
http://www.animatedknots.com/rapala/ind ... dknots.com

Smiledoc:
The red handheld crimper from Academy. I will get a better one for next year. After I make about 5 leaders my hands start to bruise from squeezing the crimpers.
mrkm1010
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mrkm1010 »

I got a good deal on a small roll of 300 lb fluorocarbon leader material. It looks about the same diameter as my 200 lb mono. Is there ever a time that fish would be leader shy and it would be benificial to use it?
reelfisherman

Post by reelfisherman »

Wait a minute I need to write this all down . . .
CypressAg83
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CypressAg83 »

THIS LEADER might make a good raffle-drawing prize at the NW Chapter meeting..... :wink: :lol: BTW - it will be put to good use!
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

mrkm1010 wrote:I got a good deal on a small roll of 300 lb fluorocarbon leader material. It looks about the same diameter as my 200 lb mono. Is there ever a time that fish would be leader shy and it would be benificial to use it?
Not around the Uppercoast. Bull Reds would probably hit your anchor line if a hook and bait were attached!
Peddle Power
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Peddle Power »

CypressAg83 wrote:THIS LEADER might make a good raffle-drawing prize at the NW Chapter meeting..... :wink: :lol: BTW - it will be put to good use!
Now why would a person want to use a rusty hook when fishing?
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

Lance D wrote:
CypressAg83 wrote:THIS LEADER might make a good raffle-drawing prize at the NW Chapter meeting..... :wink: :lol: BTW - it will be put to good use!
Now why would a person want to use a rusty hook when fishing?
Cause that's not the one he has. The one in the picture has been in the water at least once. As long as the hook is sharp and the rest of the leader is okay you're good to go. This leader won't see any action until April 2008 unfortunately, Shark fishing season is about over.
Izzy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Izzy »

Really good post 8)
toefu

Post by toefu »

I figured this is a good time to revive this thread, but what type of leaders are ya'll using at HSC? I noticed in many pictures that people are using weights on their leaders. All of the leaders i've made were primarily used at HI and don't have weights on them. Do i need to make a new leader for HSC? thanks in advance.
chazbo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by chazbo »

I am certainly not an expert.....but........I was using a 6oz bank weight with an 18" coated 3/16" SS leader. If I go back to HSC chasing BU's I will probably use the same rig, but shorten the leaer to no more than 6".

I'm sure others have different opinions...
Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

chazbo wrote:I am certainly not an expert.....but........I was using a 6oz bank weight with an 18" coated 3/16" SS leader. If I go back to HSC chasing BU's I will probably use the same rig, but shorten the leaer to no more than 6".

I'm sure others have different opinions...
I noticed a difference when I shortened my black drum leader from 24 inches to 10 or 12 inches.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... hp?t=87038
reddog
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by reddog »

Hey Crazy Yak why on the BTB kayak rig is no weight used. thanks
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

reddog wrote:Hey Crazy Yak why on the BTB kayak rig is no weight used. thanks

A few years ago TJ originally said I didn't need one, I agreed! With the water depths around High Island being shallow you really don't need one. When fishing for Bull Reds in that area the water is generally <12-15 feet.

When fishing for Sharks most use a balloon, mainly to keep bait away from the Bull Reds and Gafftop, but also to keep the bait in their feeding zone.

When fishing the Galveston Ship Channel a weight is needed, 1-6oz depending on current, that's why I use a regular surf leader with a weight clip in the middle.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

I don't know how much it is worth but the winner of the drum tournament held this past weekend at Rocky's (Mecom's) pier on High Island told me my leader stop needed to be closer to my hook, not more than 1 foot away from it. It's hard for me to argue with him on that point when he caught 11 drum, both red and black, between 8:00 am Saturday and 3:00 am Sunday while the man in second place caught only five and I caught only one. He said the drum like the bait to be still, thus the reasoning to allow the sinker to move closer to the bait. I know I am going to make a few mono leaders with the sinker stop crimp no more than 12" from the hook to try out this idea. We'll see if it makes a difference for me.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

Just one warning about this rig. See that sharp little tag end coming out of the top crimp? If you grab this leader just right with a fish on the other end, it's going to slice your hand open. It's best to not have anything sticking out from your crimps, or if you must, use a lighter and ball the end of the mono that's sticking out.