Getting into flyfishing

Tarpon Tamer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Getting into flyfishing

Post by Tarpon Tamer »

Hey Jeff. I think this would make a good sticky because that question is posted pretty frequently. There's good information on this site that folks could pick up from it. Just a thought.
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Birdsnest »

Sounds like a good idea to me. All you old salts please give us your 2 cents.

Here's mine. 8)

My first suggestions to anyone looking to get into fly fishing:

Pay for a couple lessons. It'll be worth every penny, and it's cheaper than buying a fly rig and finding out you don't like it.

On equipment basics...read this:

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/arti ... donfly.php
Bear

Post by Bear »

I think it would be great. A person could find some good fly casting instructors in their area. Some costly mistakes could be eliminated by buying the wrong equipment, fly fishing is not a cheap way of fishing. We all can learn something new or diffrent from others. :lol:
cut bait

Post by cut bait »

I think Al Crise wrote a good response, probably several times. I think a sticky type write up would be good.
Barry's Dad

First timer?

Post by Barry's Dad »

Howdy Gang,
If you are just getting into fly fishing there are some dos and don'ts

Often the 'new to fly fishing' will stop by a fly shop and look at fly rods. After sticker shock. They head to Wally World and pick up a FLY FISHING OUTFIT. Said so right on the package, 'Everything you need'. Even an instruction Booklet to show you how. After a day with this OUTFIT you will decide that you are happy you did not spend a lot of money on an outfit this is too dang hard to do.
A better way would be to stop by a Fly Shop. Tackle Shop or find a Fly Casting instructor or even better a Fly Fishing Guide. Not just a guide but a Fly Fishing Guide. a lot of difference. This guide will help you get started He will have the right equipment to use. You might even catch a fish.
Next take a lesson from a qualified casting instructor. Here you will learn what equipment you really need and more important now to use it. Not just look good at the waters edge.
Each area we fish, requires a different size of fly rod depending on the fly you are casting. Big flies require a higher numbered outfit. They run from 1-15 but 4-9 weight are most often used. 9 ft long. They can be from 6 ft to 18 ft. Here again what you are fishing for will make the difference.
As this is a Saltwater site on the Texas Coast let me say I would reconmend that if you pick a 8 wt outfit to start.
You would have:
Graphite Fly Rod 9 ft long 8 weight, med-fast action, 2 or 4 pieces.
Fly Line called WF-8F or Weight Forward #8 Floating line
Fly Reel that would hold up in Saltwater, Adjustable Drag #3 size for the WF 8F line and #30 backing.
Leader 7-1/2 ft 2X Knotless factory tapered mono
Tippet Spool of 10 pound mono
Assorted Flies: Check with local fly shops for what to get.
Nippers for cutting the leader or tippet
Hemostats for getting the hook out.
Wading boots, Sunglasses (Polarized) hat.
There you go with this outfit you can tackle the Redfish, Flounder, ladyfish. and Spotted Sea Trout. Still take it to your stock tank for Texas bass.
If I was to guess at the cost as tough guess as like any sport you can spend as much as you can.
Lesson 2 hours @ 50.00 $100.00
Rod $100.00-150.00
Reel $125.00-150.00 for saltwater use.
Fly Line $45.00-60.00 + backing often given with line
leader 2 @ 5.00
Tippet spool or mono $2.50
Flies 6 @ about 2.50 15.00
So for about $400.00 you can get started right.
In a sport that will last you a life time. Travel will take on new meanings. Places to go and areas to fish. Family Fly Fishing is now one of the fastest growing sports. Add a kayak and you are off on a journey of wonderment.
I do wish you a safe trip. I know you will enjoy it.

ol Al

Allen Crise
Master Casting Instructor
FFF SOC VP of education
TPWD Instructor
Rod builder.
Barry's Dad

one more thought

Post by Barry's Dad »

Howdy Fly Fishers
One more thing came to my old mind.
Check on a Fly Fishing Club in your area. Here you will find lots of free advice and help. Might even find a fishing buddy.
Cubs often have outing, and demos at meetings. Instructors and Classes on Casting, Fly Tying and Fly Fishing.
ol Al
Jawz529

Post by Jawz529 »

Well i have several flyrods, from old to new, from standard to automatic. I have done alot of fishing in miami swamps, streams, lakes and canals. And i even done some bone fishing in the salt flats.

I guess my real question, ( you answered one, Foward floating line) is what flies have worked best for you with speks and reds. Dont want to buy flies that are not worth much, and im sure most of mine just will not do. But i never know, i could be surprised.

Color, sizes, floaters/sinkers, nymphs? i mean what do u guys use the most.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Fly fishing, never have a been so frustrated casting a wet noodle, spent more money on delicate fishing stuff, wore goofy looking clothes, cussed myself so much, and never had a better time site casting to tailing Reds in my life.
Barry's Dad

Flies Flies and more flies

Post by Barry's Dad »

Howdy Jaws
The Flies that do the best are the ones that are cast to the right spot.
Knowing what is the right fly? That is one of the 1,300+ choices that you have. Guessing what is the right one can be fun or confusing. or both.
Knowing what the fish are feeding on will help. In the Turtle Grass Flats the Shrimp is the the main feed. Crabs, and many macro, invertrabrats. Small fish and sometimes bigger fish.
I like shrimp patters for much of my fly casting. Then the Clouser style minnow patterns will work a little deeper, Spoonflies and popper would be found in my fly box. Colors; Chartruse with tan, white, blue, black, pink, and more green, or sliver. Jig heads, in all colors for deeper water. Poppers are nice for top water action, just remember to let them eat it.
Stop by a fly shop and see what is the best that time or tide.
As you see that this is my best guess. Colors that catch fisherman work well too. Sharp hook are needed.

ol Al
Jawz529

Post by Jawz529 »

well sounds like i need to go shopping. Like i said prior, i mainly have done fresh water, and bone fishing in salt. So even tho your answer was as vauge as my question i understand what i need to do. Ill deff try the shrimp idea. Sounds like a winner. I like to do alot of topwater so ill try a few of my poppers but i think i will have to go for a little darker colors for the waters here. thanks for everything. ill be on the water the 25th if MEAN DEAN goes away. Got to do this memorial for my bro with all the guys from TKF. Been planning for way to long i hope we dont have to delay it.

thank again.

JEFF
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

When my buddies said we were going to Broken Bow fly fishing I didn't own a fly rod or even have a clue how to cast one. I bought a couple of fly rods based on their advice...but I still didn't know how to cast. I saw a post on a forum about a fly casting school in Glen Rose. I signed up and spent the weekend there. That was the BEST investment I have ever made. I learned the basics of casting, learned about the differences in tackle, and even got to see some pros tie flys. If I had not learned how to use those rods I would have probably broke them and threw them in the trash. So... after saying all that I say, yes go to a casting school, learn the basics of casting and try out the different rods and reels, then you can make a good decision on equipment and fall in love with fly fishing just like I have. :D

Oh, and by the way that school was Hawk Ridge Fly Casting School (that would be Al). He also serves the best food 8) .
zup

Casting Tip

Post by zup »

zup

Fly Lines

Post by zup »

lockjaw_tx

fly fishing

Post by lockjaw_tx »

My suggestion would be to get with Al Crise , as quickly as possible , I have never had some one tell me , how screwed up my casting was, so nicely. lol
Al is the best instructor I have seen. lockjaw-tx
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

How did people learn to fly fish/ fish before there were guides and instructors ???? Sorry I guess I did it all wrong :D :D
john52948

Post by john52948 »

you read the brochure that came with your fly line, and spent alot of hours in the backyard going from 10 to 2
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

It is possible to teach yourself to cast a fly, its also possible to free fall from an airplane from 12,000 feet and survive.
Nothing like a teacher observing your technique. You can't see yourself cast.
Note I said teacher, not fly fishermen.
Salty Bum

Re: Getting into flyfishing

Post by Salty Bum »

another suggestion if your married - open a second banking account that only you know about because when you start it you want be able to stop after that its up to you on how to get the equipment in the house :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bowfin47

Post by Bowfin47 »

The best advise i can give ya' to learn a ton in info in a very short time is to attend the Gulf Coast Council of the Federation of Fly Fishers Conclave that will be held at the Lakefront Civic Center, Lake Charles, LA... May 15-17, 2009

Friday, May 15 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm (workshops only)
Saturday, May 16 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Sunday, May 17 8:30 am - 3:30 pm

The Gulf Coast Council's third annual conclave will feature celebrity guests Stu Apte, Nick Curcione, Bob Popovics, and Wanda Taylor. Activities include fly tying demonstrations, workshops, FREE seminars, product exhibits, rod tryouts, on-premises fishing for reds and specks, raffles, silent auctions, live auctions, Friday night crawfish boil and a Saturday banquet featuring Cajun delicacies.

For more details, check it out at: http://www.gulfcoastfff.org/index.php?p ... clave-2009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And no ya' don't have to be a member of a club or even of the FFF to attend.
flankman

Post by flankman »

bowfin47 wrote:The best advise i can give ya' to learn a ton in info in a very short time is to attend the Gulf Coast Council of the Federation of Fly Fishers Conclave that will be held at the Lakefront Civic Center, Lake Charles, LA... May 15-17, 2009

Friday, May 15 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm (workshops only)
Saturday, May 16 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Sunday, May 17 8:30 am - 3:30 pm

The Gulf Coast Council's third annual conclave will feature celebrity guests Stu Apte, Nick Curcione, Bob Popovics, and Wanda Taylor. Activities include fly tying demonstrations, workshops, FREE seminars, product exhibits, rod tryouts, on-premises fishing for reds and specks, raffles, silent auctions, live auctions, Friday night crawfish boil and a Saturday banquet featuring Cajun delicacies.

For more details, check it out at: http://www.gulfcoastfff.org/index.php?p ... clave-2009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And no ya' don't have to be a member of a club or even of the FFF to attend.
I have a closet full of fly rods from 5' 2wt to 15' 12wt spey rods and I never took lessons from anyone. Thats why I have bad habbits and a bad rotator cuff. There are a lot of ways to cast a fly rod so check around with some instructors or fly fishing guides. Most instructors have their own technique and some will help you out without paying an arm or leg. There is a better way for some people than the clock face casting method and it is taught by Lefty Kreh. You can get one of his videos but you can't watch yourself so get someone (wife etc.) to video you and it will magnify your mistakes so you can see what you are doing and try to correct it. If you are like most beginners and some old timers like me tailing loops will be your worst problem. After many hours of struggling with my casting because I could not afford lesons back then (and then there was that ego) and I did not have anyone around me who fly fished I came to realize that casting lessons would have been cheaper , faster, and all that time wasted could have been spent fishing. One word of advice from someone who has been there , do not try to learn to cast while fishing. Tie a piece of yarn or clip the fly at the hook bend and practice in the yard and on the water but do not try to fish and pracitce casting at the same time. Joan Wulf said if the river is full of fish it dosen't do you any good if you can't get the fly to them......... good luck//////paul
Kelly Watson
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Kelly Watson »

$400???? I got into fly fishing for a whole lot less than that. Pfluger medalist$20 on ebay, fiberglass rod $20 on ebay. Air Cell floating line $20, Cheap 20lb mono $5. 2 big popper bugs $5. I got you in the game for $70 and I bet if you look on craigslist or ebay you can probably find a combo with the line already on it for cheaper than that.
Barry's Dad

Post by Barry's Dad »

Hey Kelly
How many Rods, Reels, fly lines, and Flies that did not work have you bought since then
I thought so.....

Which would have been cheaper? Some lessons or Buying a "Better cast."
Kelly Watson
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Kelly Watson »

Everyone is different when it comes to the sport. Just like a golf swing, some are naturals and some are not. If you can call it fly fishing, I started with 20 ft of heavy mono tied to the end of a fiberglass popping rod when I was a kid catching bluegill. Back then and even now, if I knew I needed $400 to just get in the game, I would not get started. Through 25 years of fly fishing, I have spent maybe right at $1000 total on the 4 combos I have. Only one of those I bought new at retail, and I regreted it later as that rod is quite slow and cannot do many things I would like it to. Times are tough as we all know and I think alot of people just don't have the disposable income like they did in the heyday of retail fly gear sales. Good thing is that a quality rod can now be had at under $100. Buy the best gear you can afford.
CC Bug Man

Post by CC Bug Man »

Join The Federation of Fly Fishers. Then join a club. You will meet a lot of great people that will be glad to help you.

Fly fishing can be learned by your self , but you will do better, faster with expert help. And they are guys that you need to meet.

Bill
water in my beer

Post by water in my beer »

A teacher makes life easier but there is nothing wrong with teaching yourself. Some people are more comfortable that way. The greatest caster I have ever seen breaks every rule there is and he taught himself as a kid. Just dont get frustrated because it will come to you.