Mustad lip grip

Davy Jones

Mustad lip grip

Post by Davy Jones »

I bought a Mustad lip grip 1 foot long made of stainless steel at Academy in Galveston this morning for $ 12.99. That seemed like a very good price, so I bought one for the wife too!
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

I bought one a few months ago and it works really well. Hard to beat for the price. 8)
Davy Jones

Post by Davy Jones »

I took some pics if I can get this to work!

Big Perm
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Mustad lip grip

Post by Big Perm »

Davy Jones wrote:I bought a Mustad lip grip 1 foot long made of stainless steel at Academy in Galveston this morning for $ 12.99. That seemed like a very good price, so I bought one for the wife too!
Doesn't your wife object to being gripped by the lip???

:D :D
Davy Jones

Post by Davy Jones »

Yea, she objects vigerously at first, but if you stand your ground; she will pretty much see things my way. The problem is when you release them, it's just an awfull situation for a while. LOL
TroutDaddy86

Post by TroutDaddy86 »

I have one of those and it works good and i am not as afraid to use it when in the yak or wading for fear of losing it. whats 12 bucks compared to what a real boga cost
Buckeev
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Buckeev »

Wonder how long before the Boga lawyers have a sit-down with Mustad's lawyers....
Brazos

Lip Gripper

Post by Brazos »

I have been looking at the lip grips. I have seen the Berkly ones for anywhere between 13.00 - 24.99 . The Boga one are really $$. If I lost a Boga I would be sick for monthes. I wonder do the less expensive ones work as well?
Brazos

Question

Post by Brazos »

TroutDaddy answered my question. Guess I wasn't reading very good.[/quote]
RandallW20
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by RandallW20 »

:D I may have to get one of those, I got an Academy gift card burning a hole in my pocket.
Anyone have any bad experiance with these

Randall
Davy Jones

Post by Davy Jones »

The Academy gift card is why I was shopping in Academy in the first place!
Scubasteve
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Scubasteve »

RandallW20 wrote::D I may have to get one of those, I got an Academy gift card burning a hole in my pocket.
Anyone have any bad experiance with these

Randall
Horrible experiences every single time, nuthin but trouble. You need to give those retched things to me. I will see that they are properly disposed of.
Brazos wrote:I have been looking at the lip grips. I have seen the Berkly ones for anywhere between 13.00 - 24.99 . The Boga one are really $$. If I lost a Boga I would be sick for monthes. I wonder do the less expensive ones work as well?
In all seriouness, they work GREAT. I have one that I got from wally world, FOGA's (fake-bogas). I use mine more for fish handling than I do any weighing. For the most part, I could honestly care less about weight since we are regulated more by size than weight. The few times I have worried about the weight, I was headed to the scale later in the day. And the FOGA was pretty darn close. Since, they are not as quality as the bogas are, I take a bit more care into them. I.E. freshwater rinse and oil after a good saltwater trip or two, about the same with my rods and reels.

sS
Last edited by Scubasteve on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tricky Matt

Post by Tricky Matt »

It may not work as well, but you can buy 8-9 of them before you paid as much as one of the expensive ones.
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

I've never had a bad experience with an Academy gift card but if you do just walk out and call me I'll come get that evil thing from you so it won't ever bother you again. :twisted:
Hambone911
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Lip Gripper

Post by Hambone911 »

Brazos wrote:I have been looking at the lip grips. I have seen the Berkly ones for anywhere between 13.00 - 24.99 . The Boga one are really $$. If I lost a Boga I would be sick for monthes. I wonder do the less expensive ones work as well?
I had a Rapala brand and it worked great. It was not as expensive as the Boga, so I was only sick for weeks when I lost it in 40' of water at a lake. :oops:
Now I have a much cheaper one from BPS, but I have not caught a fish since getting it so I cant say how it works. :roll:
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Lip Gripper

Post by Jerry Hamon »

Hambone911 wrote:
I had a Rapala brand and it worked great. It was not as expensive as the Boga, so I was only sick for weeks when I lost it in 40' of water at a lake. :oops:
Now I have a much cheaper one from BPS, but I have not caught a fish since getting it so I cant say how it works. :roll:
You got that grip before your yak??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
jruba
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Officer, I'm only speeding because I really have to poop!

Post by jruba »

Just bought one if this fogga's yesterday ,hopefully i would be able to test it this weekend ......... :lol:
sherwood

Post by sherwood »

I have a Berkley one (no weight scale) that has lifted plenty of bull reds and big uglies. I've never used the new Mustand ones though.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

I had a lip grip once,,,,,,
bernmurd

Post by bernmurd »

I have one I really like it. The only problem I had with mine is it started sticking. a shot of wd40 and it was good as new
bistre

Post by bistre »

Who has a cheap version with a scale? How has the scale been working? What is the best cheap version with a scale?
t.chris

Post by t.chris »

I have a berkley version with a tape measure and the gripper works great. The tape measure rusted and broke, but I don't use it anyway and at $27, I didn't care. I have seen a WOGA (Walmart version) with a scale for around the same money (maybe $20) but I don't know how effective the scale is. This mustad grip looks just as good and half the price of my berkly. I did notice that the berkly was easier to engage and disingage than a WOGA I tried, but that wouldn't keep it from being effective.