Is there a Spring Flounder Run?

t.chris

Is there a Spring Flounder Run?

Post by t.chris »

I am full of questions today. So I heard about, but did not really get to participate in the Fall flounder run as fish migrated to the gulf. Is there a Spring returning run and if so when?
backlashcharlie

Post by backlashcharlie »

www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/flounder/

try the link

so your answer is yes but not as good as the fall one
SurfMonkey

Post by SurfMonkey »

Thanks for the site location backlashcharlie...
Very informative and enlightening... :D
backlashcharlie

Post by backlashcharlie »

ya the tpwd website is kinda hard to use buuuut... has lots of info :P
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

There is a Spring run of flounder in the Galveston Bay complex, but it's not like the Fall run. The flounder just slowly come back to the bays. Sometimes, it's hard to tell if the Spring run is happening.
sherwood

Post by sherwood »

Night Wing wrote:There is a Spring run of flounder in the Galveston Bay complex, but it's not like the Fall run. The flounder just slowly come back to the bays. Sometimes, it's hard to tell if the Spring run is happening.
You mean how it was hard to tell that the fall run was actually happening? :lol:
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

sherwood wrote:
Night Wing wrote:There is a Spring run of flounder in the Galveston Bay complex, but it's not like the Fall run. The flounder just slowly come back to the bays. Sometimes, it's hard to tell if the Spring run is happening.
You mean how it was hard to tell that the fall run was actually happening? :lol:
Yes. :wink: For my flounder fishing, last Fall's run was......poor and it seems to be an ongoing trend. :(
Pablo
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Pablo »

used to be the rec fishermen could keep 10 and the commercials could keep 20. or at least that's the way I understood it. that has changed for the better ...... but that ain't why I called......

went with a fella one day in the fall of '06 with a recreational shrimp trawl and while we didn't net many skrimps, I was amazed at the number of baby flounder we had as bi-catch. I wonder how many get killed with the larger shrimp nets dredging the bays and near gulf . . . . :?
hookset4

Post by hookset4 »

Pablo wrote:went with a fella one day in the fall of '06 with a recreational shrimp trawl and while we didn't net many skrimps, I was amazed at the number of baby flounder we had as bi-catch. I wonder how many get killed with the larger shrimp nets dredging the bays and near gulf . . . . :?
The numbers are staggering. Juvenile flounder are hit very hard as shrimp 'bycatch'. Number one cause of flounder population decline IMO.

-hook
Tro-Trout

Post by Tro-Trout »

Night wing is the flounder man :D