Attendance of May 2nd TKFSA Picnic at Medina Lake

Will you be coming to the May 2nd TKFSA Picnic at Medina Lake?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 12

Joe Guilbeau
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Attendance of May 2nd TKFSA Picnic at Medina Lake

Post by Joe Guilbeau »

Are you attending the TKFSA May 2nd Picnic at Medina Lake
kayak angler

Post by kayak angler »

Here's what I found out this weekend. The park cannot be reserved, first come first served. No discounts on entry fees for groups. The ranger suggested getting as many people in a vehicle as possible. It's $10/vehicle. He suggested several sites that would be good for us. I looked at them and think the one just left of the boat ramp would be the best. It offers some shade, but additional shelters like dining canopies, tarps, etc. would be nice. It's a good spot to launch kayaks from. The water has risen 4 ft. in the last week so the shoreline is pretty close to the picnic tables. Park hours as of now are 7 am to 7 pm. The other site is back in the cove at the end of the road. We would have to paddle past all the jetskiers to get out into the lake, it offers no shade. Sites under the oaks are ok, but there is no direct water access from there. I will go out early on May 2 to secure the site left of the boat ramp, unless you guys want something else.
daddykirbs
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by daddykirbs »

My vote is Yes!

I'm bringing my wife and 5 kids, so my vote equals 7 yesses (is that how you make the plural for yes?)
Joe Guilbeau
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Joe Guilbeau »

kayak angler wrote:Here's what I found out this weekend. The park cannot be reserved, first come first served. No discounts on entry fees for groups. The ranger suggested getting as many people in a vehicle as possible. It's $10/vehicle. He suggested several sites that would be good for us. I looked at them and think the one just left of the boat ramp would be the best. It offers some shade, but additional shelters like dining canopies, tarps, etc. would be nice. It's a good spot to launch kayaks from. The water has risen 4 ft. in the last week so the shoreline is pretty close to the picnic tables. Park hours as of now are 7 am to 7 pm. The other site is back in the cove at the end of the road. We would have to paddle past all the jetskiers to get out into the lake, it offers no shade. Sites under the oaks are ok, but there is no direct water access from there. I will go out early on May 2 to secure the site left of the boat ramp, unless you guys want something else.

Sounds great to me, can we get together before you go out that morning?

I am close to Blanco and West Ave, and would like to head out that way following you in my Jeep.

I will try to bring a canope and some indoor/outdoor carpet to launch from, as I have a short section available to me. Others that have this should bring theirs also, as it makes getting into and out of the yaks a pleasure.
kayak angler

Post by kayak angler »

No problem, Joe. I live close to the Grissom and Tezel intersection. I planned on leaving around 6 am. Takes me just over a half hour to hit the park from my house. PM me for my phone number. We can set up a meet. If you want we can go fish the place some weekend before the picnic.
Hulapopper

Post by Hulapopper »

I was really looking forward to this but unfortunately I wont be able to make it. Due to work and threats of strikes I will be out of town. If things change ... i will be there.
Hulapopper

Post by Hulapopper »

I was really looking forward to this but unfortunately I wont be able to make it. Due to work and threats of strikes I will be out of town. If things change ... i will be there.

Post by Guest »

Joe,

What is the latest on this event? How many have signed up? What time does it start? I think I can make it... and I think I can get a few of us access to Diversion Lake late that day, if so, who would be interested in fishing Diversion?
Joe Guilbeau
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Joe Guilbeau »

dumas wrote:Joe,

What is the latest on this event? How many have signed up? What time does it start? I think I can make it... and I think I can get a few of us access to Diversion Lake late that day, if so, who would be interested in fishing Diversion?

We are looking at around 20 carbon life forms showing up, so yeah...come on down!

We will be at the gate at opening time of 7:00 AM and will stay until 7:00 PM when the park shuts down.

I have seen some pictures of Diversion Lake and understood that it was off limits to the public, but if you can get us in...then the fishing should be grand.

The fish have probably never seen lures before, but I don't know this to be true, if the lake is as good as it looked in the pictures, then somebody has found a way to fish it...
recurve57

Post by recurve57 »

Dumas,

My wife and I probably won't arrive until about noon. I would love to try fishing diversion lake but will probably spend most of my time with Deb since she won't know anyone. Since she is just starting to get interested in paddling, I do plan on bringing both kayaks and putting around the lake. Thanks for the offer.

Mike
daddykirbs
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by daddykirbs »

I'm hoping to have a second kayak by then. My son really wants one and I really want him to have one :D

We are looking at the Emotion Charger.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone there.
HOOKED1

picnic

Post by HOOKED1 »

Joe,
I would like to attend the get together. I hope to show up early that morning and am willing to help with any set-up. I would like to paddle a bit and will then have to leave late morning. I will be bringing 2 yaks if someone else need to use one. I hope to come back in the afternoon if the trip to diversion lake comes together. See ya'll there.
CMALIBU1

Post by CMALIBU1 »

hey dumas where is diversion lake never heard of it . ?
and yes guys i will be there early also. family and all
looking forward to having a great time with everyone . 8)
Joe Guilbeau
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Joe Guilbeau »

buckstopyak wrote:hey dumas where is diversion lake never heard of it . ?
and yes guys i will be there early also. family and all
looking forward to having a great time with everyone . 8)

Here ya go Mate...

and how the Lake is formed...
kayak angler

Post by kayak angler »

Diversion is below the dam at Medina. It would be an awesome place to fish but I believe all the shoreline is owned by Medina Ranch? Which means no access :x . I have looked for public access but no luck :cry: . That place would be awsome in a kayak.
CMALIBU1

Post by CMALIBU1 »

hey, that is awseome is the medina ranch privately owned or is it
a gated community. Oh how far down from the medina dam. if my
corpus trip fails i will be at medina this weekend there talking 20 to 35
mph winds down there and i have done that been there and that is no fun
8)
kayak angler

Post by kayak angler »

It starts maybe a mile below the dam. If you go to Mico instead of turning right to PR37 on 1283 you go past the dam then drop into a valley. There's a little bridge and that's the head water for Diversion lake. The water is super clear and I've seen some monster bass cruising in there. Unfortunately, there are is a huge fence preventing access on both sides of the river. And a big sign which says "NO fishing from bridge." Now, by nature I'm the law abiding type so I don't fish from the bridge even though it is way out in the toolies.

I bought a topo map of the area to see if I could find a road that would allow me access to the lake. All I've found are private roads, and from expierence I have found the landowners out there aren't too keen on trespassers.

But, Medina Lake is fine. You get off the main lake during the warm months, into these little coves, and you'd swear you had the lake to yourself. Clear water for swimming, fishing and you can beach in some of the more remote spots, string a hammock and catch a little siesta!
kayak angler

Post by kayak angler »

Buck, look for me at Medina this weekend if you go. My son and I will be out there both Sat. and Sun.
CMALIBU1

Post by CMALIBU1 »

KA i'll just do that since there talking 20 to 30 mph winds at the coast
i will pm if i do go thanks chris

Post by Guest »

I have got some bad news too... my friends with the lake house on Diversion won't grant us access unless they are going to be there, 'they've had problems in the past'... and I won't be able to make it out until after lunch and I will not have my kayak. Roads of Texas shows a county road crossing Diversion at its upper end, I propose that we load up a few boats in the back of my truck and I will drop you guys off at the low water crossing and then come back to get ya after you fooled a few on top.
kayak angler

Post by kayak angler »

Unfortunately there is no access from that crossing. There are 6' high chain link fences that begin at the rivers edge by the bridge. The only way to access is to drop your kayak from the bridge then climb over the bridge rails and into the river.