State Record Bull Shark caught @ Mud Isle, Aransas Bay

The Trout Scout

State Record Bull Shark caught @ Mud Isle, Aransas Bay

Post by The Trout Scout »

Don't know if it's "Official" or not yet, but this fishing report has been going around the Little Lge. park here in Rockport the last two nights so,... Here's the scoop:

This shark was caught by a firefighter in the Aransas Bay. He caught it last Friday afternoon. They had to store in the Fishermans Wharf walk in cooler until a scale big enough could get here to weigh it. It is a new state record and bay record at 513lbs.

5/18/2007
Bull Shark, 9' 513 lbs
Caught in Aransas Bay
Previous state record 508 caught in the gulf 50 lb test, Penn Senator
114HL 17' Kenner Pro Skiff boat
Catcher: Randall Rickerson, Boat Captain: Mike Celaya
2 hour 10 minute fight
2 hour and 30 minute tow in

Capt. Rex
SafetyHooker
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: Phoenix, AZ <'))))>°{ RGV, Arroyo City. Make it a Great day!

Post by SafetyHooker »

Yep, this was posted yesterday.
Flyfisher
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flyfisher »

It's still scary knowing that one of those could be swimming around where I'm wade fishing.

Ray
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

I wonder how shallow of water that pregnant broad could get in. I might never wade deeper than shin deep again.
LiverDog
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by LiverDog »

I was fishing the drop off accross from the Crab man one morning. I was having the best day ever with my fly rod. One keeper trout after another for 2 hours plus. Anyway, I had my anchor up on the flats and all 50 feet of line out so I could take advantage of the frenzy. All of a sudden I was being pulled backwards very fast. And then nothing. I turned around and there was a huge loop in my anchor rope. Freaked me out badly. The worst part was that I was alone. Could have been a dolphin messing around with me or it could have been a shark that did not see the rope.

I have seen big black tips working in groups in very skinny water. So I would say that if they want to get in there they can. It just sucks to be reminded of the fact that huge toothy critters inhabit the same waters we have grown to feel safe fishing in.

LD
Flyfisher
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flyfisher »

LiverDog wrote:I had my anchor up on the flats and all 50 feet of line out so I could take advantage of the frenzy. All of a sudden I was being pulled backwards very fast. And then nothing. I turned around and there was a huge loop in my anchor rope.

Along the Houston Ship Channel, usually about one power boat a year will have their anchor line get tangled up with a sting ray or manta ray and get pulled for a sleigh rid.

Ray
Last edited by Flyfisher on Thu May 24, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Trout Scout

I found it kjctheghost, man things don't stay on the 1st page long around here. :wink:

Like LD, I've seen black tips working the extreme shallow apexs of shell reefs in Carlos Bay so they can get shallow, but being reminded of those big ones in chest deep water like where we've been catching trout lately will make ya keep one - maybe two eyes - out for'em for sure.

Capt. Rex
TexasGringo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TexasGringo »

I could probably fit nicely inside his belly and i'm 6' tall :shock:
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Barnacle Bill wrote:I wonder how shallow of water that pregnant broad could get in.

Probably no more than 30" deep since it's belly would be dragging bottom and it's dorsal fin would be visible for all the wade fisherman..........to SEE :shock:.........and then panic! :wink:

:lol:
northpaw
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by northpaw »

If I ever see a fin like that while wadefishing I'll give a first hand demo on how Coots get airborn from the water. There'd be no footprints on the bottom.
LiverDog
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by LiverDog »

I have been thinking obsessively about this for the better part of an hour. The size of the shark begs the quest. What the heck did they use to catch it on? I mean I dont know anybody that heads out to the bay with the kind of gear one would need to subdue this beast. I know that even my btb set up would not even turn a fish like that.

LD
pgardn

Post by pgardn »

LiverDog wrote:I have been thinking obsessively about this for the better part of an hour. The size of the shark begs the quest. What the heck did they use to catch it on? I mean I dont know anybody that heads out to the bay with the kind of gear one would need to subdue this beast. I know that even my btb set up would not even turn a fish like that.

LD

Same here. Did they see the thing one day and decide to bring the proper stuff out to the spot in might be... or what. That has got to take some gear. I know they could chase it around in a boat for a while but the size of that thing is just ridiculous. And in the bay... ? I know Bulls frequent shallow water but I have never seen a Bull Shark like that in the bay. I have seen some very large ones in the surf.

So what is UP with this catch?
northpaw
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by northpaw »

From another post I think I heard a Penn 6/0. They were targeting something big no doubt if that were the case.
mike
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by mike »

Well it weren't no Zebco 202 that's for sure.
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

mike wrote:Well it weren't no Zebco 202 that's for sure.

Watch your mouth amigo. A 202 would have had that fish in the boat within 15 minutes. :wink:
mike
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by mike »

I hate to brag, but many a shark of that size have I hauled in on a 202, clipped the fins, then hooked it behind the dorsal and cast it out as bait because I was looking for something bigger. So I won't mention it.
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

mike wrote:I hate to brag, but many a shark of that size have I hauled in on a 202, clipped the fins, then hooked it behind the dorsal and cast it out as bait because I was looking for something bigger. So I won't mention it.

Don't forget the story in the bible where Jesus saw the guys fishing, walked on water to their boat and handed each of them a brand new Zebco 202.
Ninja
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sweeny. Quit Wishin...Go Fishin and take a Kid with you

Post by Ninja »

On 610 Outdoors this morning, they were talking about these gentleman. Seems they do target the sharks in the bay and have caught a few 200 to 300 lbers. I can't remember what they used for bait, but one of the guides talked about helping these guys out last week with a smaller one.

Back in 70's when Texas City had the tackle time and shark tourneys where they would display the sharks, rays, etc. I remember the talk one year about the large shark (don't remember the weight, but want to say 300+) that was caught near the Moses Lake floodgates. We went to look at it and it was huge and that was not by far the largest we ever saw there.

Also, when we used to stay for week at a time at Roosters on San Luis Pass, we saw a few sharks behind the pass that went well over 5'. The only reason I know that, is the biggest we ever landed was 5' and we saw many larger. Eerie to be in a 14' john boat and watch a big fin just tear through the mullet and you realize you were wading in some of those spots earlier in the morning.
WATER HOG
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by WATER HOG »

Barnacle Bill wrote:
mike wrote:I hate to brag, but many a shark of that size have I hauled in on a 202, clipped the fins, then hooked it behind the dorsal and cast it out as bait because I was looking for something bigger. So I won't mention it.

Don't forget the story in the bible where Jesus saw the guys fishing, walked on water to their boat and handed each of them a brand new Zebco 202.

and I heard somewhere he also handed them a beer !
and to think I thought it was just a campfire story . :D

you guys crack this redneck up ! :lol: :lol:
osoobsessed
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by osoobsessed »

dudes, if you read the original artical, it states he used a Penn 6/0w....now, with the boat, that reel should not be a problem for that fish, since they can move the boat...

the question that i have is.......

how long or did they see that fish before, then go searching for it to catch it?

now that is the question i want to know...becasue if they saw it first some other time, then i ain't wading no mo! :oops:
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Strider »

It is not uncommon for experienced anglers to encounter a big fish, realize they are unprepared, then go back to the same area the next day or so gunning for it and score. My vote is that they saw this fish, told no one about and and came back the next day prepared.

Kim
osoobsessed
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by osoobsessed »

Strider wrote:It is not uncommon for experienced anglers to encounter a big fish, realize they are unprepared, then go back to the same area the next day or so gunning for it and score. My vote is that they saw this fish, told no one about and and came back the next day prepared.

Kim

that's what i was thinking too, but what are the chances or odds that the fish would have still been there....kind of weird, but interesting at the same time....

all i know is, i'm getting some of the new shark/stingray suit guards, should be out next month! :lol:
frenche

Post by frenche »

I lucked out last night and a friend of mine that was on a corporate guided trip called and said that one of the guys had dropped out and asked if I would like to go...uh, of course! :D :D
So I went this morning, and myself and another guy who was invited at the last minute fished with Mickey Eastman, wow, it was awsome to say the least. Unfortunatley, most of the party did not want to wade and due to the "corn-cob conditions", we ended up fishing out of the boat up in the HSC. Trying to get out of the wind, we only ended up with 2 keeper flatties, some rats and dinks, but, it was still a great trip. One, because I did not have to pay for it and, two because I got to see many new "holes" and three, be able to pick his brain about location, tide, bait, and the many other things we battle while we are fishing and not catching...Mickey was great and I would highly recommend him to anyone...

Now to the point of the post...

Mickey asked if I had heard about the new state record bull shark that was caught down near Mud (mule?) Island near Aransas Pass. I said no. He said that Jay Watkins and another guide had been...I qoute... " Run on the bank by a monster shark".... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Mickey also said, Jay said that this had happened a couple days in a row before the guy came in and caught the shark. :o :o :o
I can't remember for sure who Mickey said told the guy about the shark, but He did say that the guy was targeting the shark when he caught it.

Bottom line that is one big shark, and Watkins must have large huevos! :lol:
The Trout Scout

Yes sir special trout I haven't been on the I-Net much lately and it was Jay Watkins that told me about it at the LL game Tuesday night. His kid and my kid are on the same team and we've been known to talk some fishin' as well as baseball. :wink: 8)

Capt. Rex
C.res.Q

Post by C.res.Q »

seriously, i launched from there the day after and fished the same bay. how scary is that. that shark is huge.... and san luis pass, i quit wade fishing that place because of the 7' bull shark that swam between my buddy and me. that was the only day i thanked god that i didnt have fish on the stringer....