Hard Luck Award 12/30/06

TX_Sportsman

Hard Luck Award 12/30/06

Post by TX_Sportsman »

Ok, this is the first time I have been able to think about my last trip without getting sick to my stomach. Took out my yak with my fishing buddy who borrowed my brothers Parception SINK. We got on the water early (530am) and realized we oleft his life jacket at the house. He says screw it lets fish so we take off the Skyline levee heading for Dollar reef I get out a little ways in the pitch black and with my headlamp I spot some pilings. I turn to tell my buddy about it and all I see is a capsized kayak. Well all of a sudden he pops up. We find all his gear and decide to dry him off and get some fresh clothes from the truck. I decide it may be safer to launch in moses lake, so he drys off putts his waders back on, at this point I think about loaning him my yak and life jacket, but he insists that he wants to use the "pimped out kayak" so we proceed. After fishing the marsh with no luck we decide to cut across the lake to a deep spot to see if we can find some specks or drum. About half way across I set up a drift across the channel and we both start tossing lures. About 15min later all I hear is explatives and look over to see him trying to get out of the kayak to go after his Curado SF and St. Croix rod. I quickly inform him that he is flirting with disaster trying to get out of the kayak without a life jacket. Long story short we beached the yaks and waded chest dep water for 1&1/2 hours looking for his rod. So this taught me a lesson and I bought some rod floats. Then I gave him one for a hard luck award :roll: . Oh well better luck next time.

BTW, this wa my first outing in my new yak. On a good note I do really like my yak.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I been yaking for two or three days a week for 9 months and have never had an experience even close to that. I have turtled three time but it was in the Gulf surf and in two feet of water. I have never lost a rod, yet......but the times I did turtle I lost some pliers and other metal things......I now have covers over my milk crates.

I love kayaking, but I do not throw caution to the wind.......I would never go out without a life jacket nor would I allow my newbie friend to go without one. especially if he had waders on.

Please be careful, these toys can put you in dangerous situations.
TX_Sportsman

Post by TX_Sportsman »

Hey, I appreciat the advice. I grew up on the back of a shrimp boat all my life and learned right from wrong and most importantly how fast you can go from safe to dead on a boat. I knew the impending danger. When he turtled he was in about thigh deep water. I am a newb to kayaking, but not to boating in the least. The part that made me sick was watching him obliviously flirting with disaster over $300 worth of equipment that could be replaced. Turtling was only a small set back, especially compared to the rest of the days events.
parttime

Post by parttime »

Sorry to hear about your hard luck... I can recall a couple fishing trips like that..myself.. and in the heat of the moment all you can think of is getting back your poles!! Anyhow glad everyone came out well and better luck on the next trip. tight lines~!!